Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can DDUtil be run locally, on a PC connected to a F6K radio connected by SmartLink?

Options
Jerry NY2KW
Jerry NY2KW Member ✭✭

l have my SDR 6700 in a remote location running on a dedicated Win10 PC connected to a cable company WAN/ISP. At home, I run connect to the 6700 with SmartLink (3.5.9) on a Win10 laptop with a different WAN/ISP. I tried to run DDutil (4.0.1.09) on the same laptop as SmartLink and see a popup in the right lower corner of the screen that says "CAT Server, DDUtil Connected" but when I open DDUtil Setup form (Signature radio checked) there is no Flex radio appearing in the F6K Model box to select. On the main DDutil window, it say Not Connected, but there is some communication between SmartSDR and DDUtil because if I change the setup form from Signature to Legacy, a popup says DDUtil is disconnected.

Is this setup possible? Can DDUtil be run locally, on a PC connected to a F6K radio connected by SmartLink?

Any advice appreciated

Jerry NY2KW

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Jerry, I run DDUtil on the computer near the radio. That way, the serial connections (USB) to the amp and tuner (KPA 500 / KAT 500) can be used to control and monitor when I am operating remotely.

I use TeamViewer to operate DDUtil and my antenna rotator from whatever campsite I happen to be in.

• Jerry NY2KW
    Jerry NY2KW Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Len,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am trying to keep everything as simple as possible. The beauty of SmartLink is that I don't need a computer connected to the 6700 to operate the rig remotely. Like you, I want to access some devices like my Alpha 87a that are hardwired (USB, Serial) to the local PC but I can do that using virtual ports and remote TCP/IP. What happens to TeamViewer if there is a local power glitch or anything that makes the PC next to the radio reboot? Does Teamviewer start up again automatically with everything reconnected? I plan to control the AC power to the 6700, PC and Alpha by a ethernet power switch.

• Jerry NY2KW
    Jerry NY2KW Member ✭✭
    Options

Len,

I assume with TeamViewer then I don't use Smarlink but run the F6K direct by SmartSDR on the PC connected to the radio? Same question then, with a ethernet power switch, how could I restart SmartSDR/CAT/DAX to get everthing up and running again?

• KD0RC
    Options

Hi Jerry, I think TeamViewer will survive a power outage, but I suggest testing that.

I only control my non-Flex gear with TeamViewer. I run the Flex using SmartSDR and SmartLink. There is a diagram of my remote setup on my QRZ.com page that might help. You can ignore the SoftEther VPN which is just there to run my TeensyMaestro remotely.

Note that you can run CAT on either or both computers, but DAX can only run on the computer that is local to the radio. So digital modes like FT8 or VARAc need to run on the computer local to the rig.

Logging programs can generally be run on either the local or remote computer. CAT just needs to be run on the same computer as the logger (assuming a CAT connection, as opposed to an API connection).

Mike Walker, VA3MW has some good YouTube videos about remote operation of Flex gear that you might want to check out. He is basically full time remote from his QTH in Toronto with his Flex at a boat house in an undisclosed (but RF quiet) location. He highly recommends a second computer local to the radio. I second that recommendation - it has allowed me to get the most from my remote setup.

• Jerry NY2KW
    Jerry NY2KW Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Len,

I tried Teamviewer and the video resolution looking at the 6700 waterfall seemed fuzzy. Maybe I didnt have it set up correctly

I will check out Mike's YouTubes.

73 Jerry

• KD0RC
    Options

Hi Jerry, I wouldn't use TeamViewer to run SmartSDR, only non-Flex software (DDUtil, etc). Use SmartSDR with SmartLink for best results.

The computer at the operating position runs SmartSDR/SmartLink. The computer at the radio site runs DDUtil and any digital programs, accessed using TeamViewer.

• Jerry NY2KW
    Jerry NY2KW Member ✭✭
    Options

I am trying a trial of VirtualHere. It is a USB server and a snap to set up on the same LAN so any USB or serial device on a PC connected to the LAN can be easily shared by any any other PC on the LAN. Low cost, one time $49. Now investigating how to set it up to access from different WANs to make it a really remote. Will report back.

• KD0RC
    Options

Hi Jerry, that looks really cool. I would be interested to see how it works for you. I may give it a try myself!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.