Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Does anyone use a Wimo or MFJ 1025/6 noise cancelling device with a Flex 6400?

Options
n1ah
n1ah Member ✭✭

Was curious if anyone had one that they use, and how the setup and use has worked with the 6400? Im looking to get rid of some local noise before it gets into the radio :)

Thanks,

Adam

Answers

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

HI Adam... I was using an MFJ1025 with my 6500. Setup was smple and straightforward, and it worked really well on eliminating local noise on 80m and 40m.

I didn't bother with the T/R switch connection -- I just let the unit 'sense' when I was transmitting and that seemed to protect it just fine.

What info were you looking for?

• n1ah
    n1ah Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm really just trying to reduce noise on one particular area between 4 and 5 mhz for MARS use - i was hoping i can use something like this to make my main freq quieter. I saw some posts from people that they use it on the more expensive flex models that have some kind of loop/receiving or something. (not sure if i know what im talking about)

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Adam, the MFJ, the Timewave ANC-4 and others all work great with Flex radios. If you have a 6500 or 6700, you can put it in the RX loop. With any other rig, just connect it to the antenna port. Some of them need a PTT signal to switch and some switch using detected RF. Don't connect it to the output of an amp! Put it between the rig and amp if you have one.

I have a Timewave ANC-4 at my QTH and use it with my 6400. I recently put a much longer outside noise antenna on it and got rid of an amazing amount of junk, especially on 40 meters. With the short indoor noise antenna, I got rid of the little stuff happening in my shack, but not the neighbors' noisy gizmos.

What these units are designed for and work well with is local noise. If the noise on your MARS frequencies is not local, the device won't help much.

In any event, I recommend getting one. There is so much crud on the air due to solar arrays, wall-warts, plasma TVs, etc, etc that you might not even realize what you are dealing with until you remove it with one of these things.

• n1ah
    n1ah Member ✭✭
    Options

This is exactly what i was looking for thank you so much len!

Adam N1AH

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.