Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

RFI getting into the mic circuit.

Options
KG5PTE
KG5PTE Member ✭✭

I am getting audio output distortion on 14 mhz (20m) when I transmit my audio sounds warbled and distorted especially if I leave the Flex on for a while. I can correct it by closing smart SDR and re launching it but over time sometimes it comes back. Here is a video from a fellow ham on how it sounds on there end.

Thank you.

YouTube: https://youtu.be/7Zt1OEI4-7c

Best Answers

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I have seen this on a friends and on my radio and we just had to do a full hard reset on the radio, Then make sure it doesn't do it then you should be able to safely load ALL BUT the "Preferences" in "Profile manager" back on to retrieve most of your settings, of course if you have not been keeping up with a Profiles export you won't have anything to import.

You can do a help desk ticket they will probably tell you to do something similar to the above.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

To do a factory reset on a 6400, first export your profiles. Power off the radio. Once it is off, press and hold the power button until it turns white. Release the button and wait for the light to come on steady green.

Before importing your saved profiles, test the radio to see if the problem is resolved. If not, submit a helpdesk ticket.

If it is resolved, try importing your profiles. If it still works, all is well. If not, you probably have a corrupt profile.

Answers

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

Here another video I made today of the distortion should I open a ticket on this ?

https://youtu.be/k2_CIxaSfdc

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

Do you have instructions on performing a hard re set of the radio ?

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

it is in the online manual, usually hold a button down then turn it on but there is a differences from the 6300, 6400, 6500, 6600, 6700 and M models.

what radio are you using?

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

I have the 6400 doing a key word search for reset or resetting in the hardware and Smart SDR Manuel comes up with nothing for performing a hard reset

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

do a google search for "flexradio 6400 hard reset instructions"

I think you just turn the radio off, then Hold the Power button down for 5 or 10 seconds then I think remove the DC Power for 2 minutes and Power it back up.

Then boot up the radio nominally and should come up and show 14.100 as the frequency.

This is just a best memory guess because I have the 6700 and it resets differently.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

because it's NOT a SmartSDR command it is a Radio Hardware function

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

Len (KD0RC) I did the reset this morning. I will be testing the radio this morning. One more question I noticed on one of my computer (My desktop) the water fall is slow to scroll but when I launch smart SDR on my laptop the water fall scrolls normal. How do you set the speed for the water fall scroll ?

Thanks

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is a “Rate” slider on the Display selector.

• KD0RC
    Options

Hi James, sorry I couldn't respond earlier. I was up fishing where there is no cell service.

This is the Rate slider that John mentioned:

I keep it on 80 unless I am operating remote when I set it to 1 to keep from overwhelming the network.

If it is set at the same rate as your laptop but still moving slowly, then it might be the speed of your desk top causing it to slow down.

• KD0RC
    Options

Hi James, I just played the two videos that you posted again, and noticed a bit of an echo. Do you, by chance, have the Mon button engaged? If so, turn it off and try the experiment again. It may be audio feedback.

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

The distorted audio is only on 20 meters. I have noticed nothing on 10 meters. As of now all I operate or can operate is 10 m and 20 m Until I get my Alpha Delta dipole up. The 20 meter issue was on a vertical portable antenna (Wolf River Coil) I am going to change the coax out from RG 58 to RG-8X mini. And place the antenna on the roof of my house or farther away. And I going to put an MFJ 915 Balun choke in line at the feed point. Two hams I know (KD6UY & NU5D) both recommend this.

Thank you.

Thank You.

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

I am about to test again (Sunday August 13, 2023 at 2000 Hrs UTC 1500 CST) I going to leave Smart SDR version 3. 5.8 up and running on my Dell G-3 15 Laptop running MS Windows 11 (Version 22H2 OS Build 22621.2134) . I have placed my Wolf River coil (TIA) HF vertical antenna further away from the shack. And replaced the older RG 58 coax with RG-8X Mini 8 coax. And placed an MFJ 915 Choke balun near the feed point of the Flex radio (Transmitter) As this is the way MFJ says to do this in the instructions. So far a test with a local ham (N5NIR) said my audio sounded great. And I do have my Mon button turned off.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.