Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Microphone options

Options
I have a Hewitt "Pure Tube' condenser Studio MIc, can it be adapted to use on a Flex 6700

Best Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

“Studio grade” condenser mics usually require 48 volt biasing. You would need to have a way to supply the necessary voltage externally to the mic. Then the output of that can go to the balanced in on the 6700.

Dave wo2x

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

The Lewitt web site indicates that that mic uses a 7-pin connector which connects to the power supply that they provide. I did not see technical specs for the power supply but it must provide power to the mic. It is a bit different than most condenser mics used professionally as those use a 3-pin XLR connector with 48 Volt Phantom power supplied on pins 2 and 3.

Is there a 3-pin male XLR on th epower supply enclosure that would be the mic out?

If there is more info on their web site regarding the actual configuration I did not see it.

Edit: There is a manual download link and yes there are standard 3-pin XLR connectorrs on the PSU enclosure for the mic output. You should be able to use one of those to connect the radio.

Answers

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I don't own any Lewitt mics but I'm sure you can make an adapter.

• Lanny Willis
    Lanny Willis Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers. I now have to find someone who can build the interface for me.
  • excalibrate
    excalibrate Member ✭✭
    Options
    In case no one has mentioned it, a condenser mic will pick up every little sound in your house and maybe your neighbors home as well. That includes fans, your central AC, the tv in the living room. They sound great in a studio in a controlled environment but you will have a lot of background noise in your transmissions. I would never use one in this situation. I own several and had to turn off the central AC when recording with them. A good dynamic mic is a better choice for a radio and doesnt require phantom power. You can try and see if you like it but be sure to monitor/record your audio to decide if it is what you want. I use a Heil PR30 on every radio I have owned for the last 8 years and get great audio reports.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.