Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

xDAX v2.0 won't open

Options
Charlie_KB8CR
Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭

Hi, I'm using Doug's x6000 on my MacMini (because SSDR-Mac doesn't support Catalina anymore). I downloaded xCAT and xDAX from Mario's site, and xCAT works fine. However, for some reason, xDAX won't open. It gives an error that "xDAX unexpectedly closed". Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Charlie KB8CR

Answers

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello Charlie.

What audio connector are you using with xDax, and is it in place and connected when xDax starts uo? Maybe there is an audio engine problem. I'm using Loopback from Rogue Amoeba.

I use Catalina (10.15.7) with SSDR Mac and xCat/xDax 2.0 with zero problems. Who told you that SSDR Mac does not support MacOS 10.15? Marcus' site says minimum 10.15, so Catalina is supported. I am running SSDR Mac 2.0.19.

• Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Ted. What is an audio connector? I used xDAX on my Macbook Pro running Monterey and just opened it and used it with WSJT-X. I can't get xDAX to open at all on the MacMini running Catalina.

I got an email from Marcus that SmartSDR - Mac no longer supports any OS older than Big Sur. (I know it says Catalina on the webpage, but not true anymore) :-(

I've tried uninstalling xDAX and reinstalling, but no luck. Might try reloading the OS but that is a pain.

Charlie KB8CR

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi again Charlie.

I may well be stuck on an earlier version of SSDR Mac because I use Catalina, but so far things are running well, and I have received no errors saying updates are stopped because I am on Catalina, and I do not appear to be missing any capabilities. I will NOT be updating MacOS any time soon - too many incompatibilities with software I run.

As to the audio connector, you require a software tool to connect SSDR Mac or xDax to any digital radio app such as WSJT-X or Fldigi. This puts a "virtual cable" between SSDR or xDax and your digital app. In my case, I use Loopback, although there are a couple of others available (some free, some not). I consider Loopback to be the best, but it is NOT free (nothing good usually is :-)

• Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    Options

I'd love to get my hands on SSDR Mac v 2.0.19. It isn't available anymore that I can find.

Charlie

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I hate software that forces you to upgrade OS, I had no idea Marcus had abandonded MacOS 10 and moved on to 11. Apple is doing us all a disservice, moving more and more to iOS and appliance operation, plus software "rental"! And Windows sure is not the answer. Unfortunately the darn AppStore prevents keeping old versions around.

My preference has always been Unix of any sort - maybe I will eventually need to kiss Apple goodby, too.

• Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    Options

I guess Marcus didn't want to support the older OS's. It's a shame because the 'benefit' of buying the Mac app was that I could use it with all my Macs. But that is not to be.

On the Macbook Pro (running Monterey), and on my Mac Studio (running Ventura), I didn't have to install any virtual cable program, xDAX routed the audio to WSJT-X and JS8Call by itself.

Charlie

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I guess Apple must have added the capability to route audio from app to app into the O/S in Ventura and Monterey. Oh well, that also means Rogue Amoeba will likley be abandoning Loopback soon :-(

• Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    Options

I take that back, Ted. I had VBCable installed in the Macbook Pro and Studio Mac. I installed it in the older MacMini, and it's running. Unfortunately, xDAX still won't load. :-(

Charlie

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I can verify the exact version I have, but I don’t think there was ever any version but base “2”.

• Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    Options

Yea, that is the one I have, v2.0.

Charlie

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Charlie,

Do a search for any xDax-related files on your Mac (scripts, .plists, whatever, and delete them before running xDax - maybe some old stuff lying around that needs flushing.

I found xDax-related files in ~/Libray/Application Scripts and !/Library/Containers. There are likely to be preferences in there. Might also look in ~/Library/Application Support. I did a search for any files with "xDax" in them.

• Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks, I'll try that .

Charlie

• Gordon, ve7on
    Gordon, ve7on Member ✭✭
    Options

I am running Ventura 13.2.1 with Xcat and Xdax with no problems.

Gordon, ve7on

• Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Ted:

I used Terminal, and in the /Library folder, there is no directory "Application Scripts" or "Containers". I did look in all the other folders and didn't find any xDAX files.

Charlie KB8CR

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

In the “~/Library” folder, Charlie. i.e. in your account’s Library” folder, not root “/Library“. I suppose yours could be elsewhere, but that should be a function of xDax. I suppose MacOS could be hiding it from you by default. I see those through the Finder, and don’t need Terminal.

• Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks, Ted. I found them, and removed the directories that were de.DL3LSM.xDAX in both of those directories. Then I ran xDAX......same result. UGH.

Charlie

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

Maybe see if Mario has any ideas :-( By the way, is there anything in the system logs about the app abort? Any error messages anywhere?

• Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, here is the error log for the crash of xDAX.

Charlie

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I see that the xDax version identified itself as "1.0". Did Mario forget? Or is something else going on?:

Process:               xDAX [1194]
    Path:                  /Applications/xDAX.app/Contents/MacOS/xDAX
    Identifier:            de.dl3lsm.xDAX
    Version:               1.0 (6)

Have you tried a re-install of a newly re-downloaded copy of xDax 2.0?

It appears it could be kacking on your audio framework, Charlie. Do you have any specialized audio software loaded on that Mac? I'm running a 2018 Intel MacMini with no special audio installed, no Bluetooth, etc.

I have Loopback installed, which adds some Coreaudio components (Rogue Amoeba's Audio Capture Engine) - wonder if that has any affect. Just a collection of thoughts. My xDax identifies itself as follows:

Can't hurt to download from Mario's site again: https://dl3lsm.blogspot.com/p/downloads.html

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Just tried xDax 1.0 here, Charlie - it also works fine (just no v.2 radio to connect to :-)

• Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    Options

I tried xDAX 1.0 as well, same result. It crashes. I emailed Mario. Hope he answers.

Charlie

• Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    Options

I downloaded v2.0 from that site yesterday. That's what I've been trying to use.

Charlie

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The strange thing is that the crash log identifies the app as xDax 1.0 (6), instead of xDax 2.0 (10).

• Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    Options

I went and deleted those directories again, and ran it, and the error log now shows V2.0.

Attached.

Charlie

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Here's hoping Mario responds, Charlie. All I can tell for sure is that the crash appears to be associated with audio. I haven't done MacOS debugging in many years, and that was before many of the current libraries and startup mechanisms came about. If debug symbols had been left in the app, it would be possible to deciper what the code was doing when it crashed, but there are only addresses. EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV) and "Segmentation fault" are pretty general.

Good luck - xDax sure is necessary. Sorry I can't help more.

• Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for you help, Ted. I hope he answers too. Last solution would be to reload the OS on that computer. Not sure I wanna do that.

73 de Charlie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.