Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Need an advise about RAM

YV5WZ
YV5WZ Member ✭✭

Hello!

I have been almost a year and a half without using my flex 6600, and now I'm buying a new laptop to install SmartSDR on it.

Does anyone have an idea how much RAM is minimum necessary?

Thanks!!

George

YV5WZ / KO4RDR / PY3ZZZ / HC1OOT

Comments

• Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭

I don't know if there's a minimum spec for RAM. Even the cheapest new laptops come with at least 4 GB, it seems. That should be plenty for Win 10 + SSDR. I might worry more about screen size. Or having a faster, dual core CPU. More RAM would support multiple big apps running together.

73 Martin AA6E

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

The problem with a laptop only having 4Gig of Ram is that MOST of them use RAM for Video and so I personally get a new computer with at least 8GB or even 16GB with as much processing and caching Windows 10 and 11 Takes, Not only that if you get more memory make sure your OS is 64Bit and NOT 32Bit, 32 Bit Windows will only allow you to access the 4GB of RAM.

This is just my opinion

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi George, From the SmartSDR Software User Guide:

3.1 RECOMMENDATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS

The minimum required CPU for SmartSDR is an Intel i3 2100T or an AMD Athlon Phenom II or greater. Lesser processors may not perform adequately when displaying multiple or full screen spectrum displays. However, for the optimal user experience, as most users run multiple applications along with SmartSDR for Windows such as loggers and digital mode programs, a quad-core CPU or greater is highly recommended.

SmartSDR does not take a lot of computing power or RAM, but other software often does. I got a better laptop (Dell G7700 Core i9, 32 GB) so that I can run CW Skimmer which takes a lot of compute power. Your choice of computer is probably more dependent on other software that you want to run at the same time as SmartSDR.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

As above, realize the radio is doing most of the work and the computer is only the display for what is happening in the radio. This is in contrast to the previous series of flex radios that required a lot of data to be processed by the computer.

• Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭

I am running SmartSDR on a Windows 7 laptop that is an i7 CPU with 8 GB RAM and 64 bit. It runs fine with WSJT, JTAlert and DXlabs logging.

I also run it on a Windows 10, i5 with 16 MB RAM and 64 bit. That is a 2nd GEN, 2011 desktop. It is slower with video display, occasionally flashing.

My Windows 10, i7 desktop with 16 GB RAM and 64 bit runs much faster with no video artifacts on SmartSDR. It is a 3rd GEN, 2012 desktop. It also runs WSJT, JTAlert and DXlabs.

GL! es 73,

Bill, NE1B

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.