Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

No RF out clicking MOX on CW freq, Flex 6300

VE3RWY
VE3RWY Member ✭✭
edited March 2022 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

My Flex 6300 is new to me and I seem to have some growing pains. I have a TenTec 238B tuner connected. RF power and Tune power set to 20. Default TX profile set. All checkboxes ticked off in TX Band settings except for PTT inhibit.

I put the band to CW, press the TUNE button and get a power reading on my external tuner. SWR is 1.5. I press the MOX button and no power to the tuner even though the TX like comes on on the 6300. Am I missing something obvious here? I also have a PTT button connected to the MIC on the front of the Flex.

Thank in advance. 73

Answers

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭

If the mode is selected as CW then there will be no power out until you key the transmitter

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭

The TX light indicates you are not receiving, but you do not transmit in the CW mode until you actually key by closing straight key contacts or tapping a keyer paddle.

If it transmitted CW by tapping the MOX button then you would have to send CW by clicking your mouse on the MOX button. Doable, but not too desirable.

• VE3RWY
    VE3RWY Member ✭✭

Thanks for the reply Geoff. I have a PTT button connected into the MIC port on the front of the 6300. I's part of my Heil headset adaptor from DX. When I press the button, the TX light comes on.

• VE3RWY
    VE3RWY Member ✭✭

Thanks Bob. So I should use the tune button to tune the antenna, connect my MIC, increase my RF power and be good to go to see the PWR needle move on my ext. tuner?

73 Rob

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭

Not in CW mode. You must press your straight key (or paddle to use the built-in keyer). Connecting your mic does nothing in CW mode. It's all in the CW key connected to the radio.

On the other hand, connecting your mic, increasing the power level, setting the mode to either USB or LSB, adjusting the mic gain for proper meter indications, then pressing the PTT and speaking into the mice will result in power output.

73, Craig KØCF

• VE3RWY
    VE3RWY Member ✭✭

What is the purpose of the MOX button?

Once again, thanks to everyone that particiated in my topic.

73 Rob VE3RWY

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭

The MOX switch is literally "Manually Operated Transmit". When you tap this switch, the radio will remain in transmit mode until you release MOX by tapping the switch again. This is not the way we usually operate... using PTT on the microphone or a foot pedal to transmit is much more common. Some of us prefer VOX transmission: Voice Operated Transmit. When you speak, the radio starts transmitting and when you stop talking the radio returns to receive (after an adjustable delay). This, along with QSK on CW, is my personal preference. I never use PTT on HF -- only on VHF-FM. As they say, your mileage may vary...

73, Craig KØCF

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Additionally, the mike level can be set while in the receive mode, transmitting is not necessary. I’m not at the shack, but It is one one of the settings on the radio item under settings menu.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.