Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro usage with amp, auto-tuner(s) and downstream antenna switch

N7CXI
N7CXI Member ✭✭

Coming back to the community after a long break, with a 6400 and a Maestro 'B' coming for my new bench - note the "bench" is not in the same room as the "shack".

What's the current thinking about controlling a 3rd-party amp, auto-tuner(s) and a remote antenna switch? Last time I looked, FRS was recommending setting up separate transmit profiles for "Amp On" and "Amp Off", which answered the amp question but sounded a bit clunky. Research turned up nothing on the possibility of controlling other gear... I have a PalStar HF-AUTO for 80-10M and a dedicated 160M remote differential-tee tuner. (at the base of the tower) A DIY 4-port vacuum relay antenna switch is mounted out by the tower to switch between HF antennas, then a single 1/2" hardline run comes back to the house.

This may sound a bit like a troll, but isn't... I don't HAVE to be able to switch antennas or put the amp in standby easily, and if I don't use the amp the ATU in the 6400 will flatten the feedline. I suppose what I'm looking for is whether there is any API or other opportunity to use the Maestro to control my other gear? There's no problem doing it with a Windows PC and software running in parallel with SmartSDR, but it would be peachy if I could hijack a little IO and use the Maestro from my new bench. (or the living room, etc)

Thanks!

Jim N7CXI

Comments

• N7CXI
    N7CXI Member ✭✭

Maybe writing an app for my phone to control the peripherals would be the most practical solution.

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Jim

Take a look at our Ham Radio - Node-Red Group

Alan. WA9WUD

• N7CXI
    N7CXI Member ✭✭

Hi Alan,

I assume by that you mean the groups.io group. I’ll take a look, thanks

Jim N7CXI

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I have already written Node Red flows for the radio, amp, tuner, and 2x8 switch. Runs on a Raspberry Pi, accessible from any web browser.

Will be using it from the ham fest today ;-)

73 Dave wo2x

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

You can adapt any of the flows for Node Red that we have on the groups.io site to fit your needs. That’s the beauty of Node Red. Open source and customizable.

73 Dave wo2x

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

I can vouch for Dave's Node-RED Flows he mentioned above, I use them every day and once you kinda get the hang of it you can modify and customize it for your own needs, It brings MANY control panels into one WEB page to control and keep an eye your station rather sitting in the shack or running remote.

On my main page I can monitor and make changes on my FL6700, FL6600, PGXL, TGXL, ANT-Genius, External Power meter, Auto Ping important hardware on the network, control DC and AC Power switch's, and the Raspberry Pi itself.

A wonderful station accessory for sure

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.