Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Here's a suggestion for FM Repeater use.... Hint, Hint, Nudge, Nudge...

Roy Laufer
Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in New Ideas
It would be REAL NICE if there was a setting to notch out the PL audio tone of FM Repeaters....

My system really reproduces lower frequencies well...

Just saying...

Comments

• Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Can you not use the receive equalizer to cut those low frequencies?  It may not completely eliminate them, but is should reduce the "sub-audible tones".
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    This is a good point.  Most FM radios roll off the audio below 200hz before it gets to the speaker.  You could do this in the EQ section as well.  

Mike va3mw

• Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Been there, tried that. My sound system needs more low frequency attenuation to get rid of the PL tones I am hearing.

...and a bug in SSDR 1.5.1, that I discovered, disconnects the Receive equalizer from a slice added to a panadapter already open (I'm waiting for 1.6 to fix this particular bug)
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    You can also edit the filter low side on the memory form and create a custom filter that starts at 200Hz, that might also eliminate the tones. Although you'd have to select the memory in order to use that custom filter. FRStacks could alo be used to save the custom filter. 
    73, Jay - NO5J
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    You must have SSDR 3.0<grin>, my SSDR 1.5.1 doesn't have adjustable filters for FM.

AM, SSB, CW - you can filter to your heart's content. FM - no way Jose!( I mean Jay)
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
     Well I admit I don't use FM at least, I forgot about the the fact that it using a filter centered on the carrier. So ignore my post, there's no way
    my idea will work.  

I've been wrong before, but it still kinda smarts.image

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Don't sweat it! None of us are infallible.

The smart ones already know that lesson!
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    The Smartest ones know to keep their mouths shut until after they have verified that their "I bet this will work" method actually is possible.

That proves how smart I am. 

I think I'll attempt a little verification next time.
    73, Jay - NO5J
  • Dave -- W5DJB
    Dave -- W5DJB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I too have this problem and losing most of the bass with the equalizer really makes listening less pleasant. Since the radio already knows the tone being used, why not an automatic notch filter for the received sound?
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    If this were an old bit of film noir, the solution would be as simple as offering the right guy a "a Benjamin" or two. In our world all we can do is beg and wink, wink, nudge, nudge...

Goes the same with the ability to port transmitted voice into the DAX receive channel, so that both sides of the QSO can be archived...

It just requires the time and the effort, and, of course, the motivation.

Anyone want to get a "slush fund" set up <grin> (it works for most governments)!
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Being aware of our faults and limitations is the greatest of lessons. 

Unfortunately, I have met too many people who have never learned that lesson..

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.