Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Yaesu Quadra

Anyone come up with a way to interface the Quadra amp to do automatic band switching with the 6000 series rigs without using N4PY?  I also run HRD interfaced with the rig.

Answers

• Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    John,

Maybe you should use DDUtil,  you can limit the drive to the amp to protect the  output transistors better,   just a thought.   Also Steve has a HRD interface there too. 

Dudley
    WA5QPZ
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    I’m pretty sure you can feed BCD from the Flex ringht into the Quadra. Look for the USB document in the downloads area. Mike
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Yes Mike you can as that is what I do. This cable set to BCD in USB cables connects directly to the Banddata-2 connector on the back of the Quadra. Then of course you have to select input 2 on the Quadra then the Quadra will follow the Flexradio.

This USB to parallel adapter I used was:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HKK4SCO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but Flex also has one you can buy, http://cart.flexradio.com/USB-to-Parallel-adapter-for-the-FLEX-6000-series_p_1001.html

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    And, here is the USB document that will help out https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/usb-cable-interface-guide-pdf/
  • Thomas DF2LH
    Thomas DF2LH Member
    edited January 2019
    Hello John
    Here is an other way to get the Quadra working. From an other project i got an 8 channel usb relais board in my cellar (like this http://denkovi.com/usb-eight-channel-relay-board-for-automation ) and connected it to my Quadra via the 'Band Data 1' plug (the round one). Caused by the logic of the 4 band data inputs, i installed a 78L05 5 volt regulator on the board and from there four 2k2 resistors as a pull up on the 4 data input lines. The relais switching this 'pulled up' lines to ground.
    In Smart SDR i choosed Cable Type 'BCD', Source 'TX Slice', Type 'HF_BCD', Polarity 'Active High'. Works perfect :)

It is not possible to use the not used 4 relais for other things (antenne switching). There is a 4 relais board on the market. I am not sure this would work.

vy 73s Thomas, DF2LH

• Ed Johnson
    Ed Johnson Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Digikey sells it for far less :-)
  • WF7B
    WF7B Member
    edited January 2019
    I also use this on my Quadra
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I've been asked for the wiring diagram I used to connect the FTDI C232HM cable to the Quadra. Here is something I quickly pieced together. With the cable connected the USB port or via a USB hub as I did, be sure to set the cable to BCD in USB cables via the Menu - Settings in SmartSDR. In order for the Quadra to follow the Flexradio any 6000 series radio you must select the Quadra antenna input to whatever Band Data port you connected to. Only connect to one, NOT BOTH. I used Band Data #2 so you must select Input #2 on the Quadra. If you use Band Data #1 then it would be safe to assume you would need to have Input #1 on the Quadra selected. I only say that because I did not confirm this personally.
    Below is the wiring diagram.

I see the image for the FTDI C232HM cable is blurry so this may help:
    orange BIT 1 ---> Data 0
    yellow  BIT 2 ---> Data 1
    green   BIT 3 ---> Data 2
    brown  BIT 4 ---> Data 3
    black   GND

• K9SO
    K9SO Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Mike's method is the simplest way IMO. I used it that way for years with my 6500.

The Quadra has 5v TTL inputs and the band data cable uses 3.3v logic, but the Quadra responded fine to the 3.3v data levels and the cable logic is 5v tolerant. Plug and play. My Ameritron 1306 worked with the C232HM cable too with the Yaesu ABCD codes. 

Incidentally, Mouser sells these cables for only $26.52 (plus shipping) vs. $38.95 on Amazon. 
  • A.R.S. HA3MN
    A.R.S. HA3MN Member
    edited January 2019
    Tnx Mike for details! Here is the datasheet of the cable :
    https://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/Cables/DS_C232HM_MPSSE_CABLE.PDF 
  • Harry W0LS
    Harry W0LS Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Mike in your diagram you show "red x" on the band data 1 connector for pins 1 and 7. Pin 1 which is auto on and also pin 7 which is data 3. Any reason for that...am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Harry
    W0LS
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    That portion of the diagram was copied from another diagram detailing connection via parallel port with DDUTIL. If using Band Data 1 connector you would connect nothing to pin 1. Not sure what the purpose of the red x was. Just ignore red x.
  • Harry W0LS
    Harry W0LS Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thanks a lot Mike for the response. I am going to use band data 2. Band data 1 is already connected to FT1000MP. I do want the ability to provide auto-on via app running on desktop so I can remotely turn the amp on and off. So I believe that means I have to supply 13.5V to pin 1 to turn amp on. I will have to verify that part. Anyway thanks for clarification and providing the information.

Harry
    W0LS
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    If I understand what I've read, you should not use both connectors. From what you described you will have the 1000MP on band data 2 and Flexradio on band data 1. Yaesu says one or the other NOT both, if you do you run the risk of damaging the amp or the radio.
  • Harry W0LS
    Harry W0LS Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Ok...understand..so in that case I would leave the connection to the MP disconnected and only use the one coming from the Flex. If I needed to use the MP connection to the Quadra I would have to disconnect the Flex and plug the MP connector in....got it...thanks.

Harry
  • Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    We are using the same cable as above, wired per the diagram, but it won't switch bands correctly. Only once did it switch to all bands. Now it won't switch to 40 or 30M. Any suggestions? I have it set to BCD/TX Antenna/Ant2/Active High

Charlie KB8CR
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2020
    Hi Charlie, have you tried Active Low?  I wouldn't be surprised if that is the issue.
    Len, KD0RC
  • Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Hi Len:

Yes we tried that and it didn't work. I did get it ONCE to switch to every band except for 60M (I don't think there is a code for that). But could not repeat it. I've tried everything I could think of. Don't know why it will switch to every band except for 40 and 30.

Charlie
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Sounds like a cold solder joint..  

Dudley
    WA5QPZ
  • Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    We checked that. Weird thing is that I got it to work once. Its just too flaky.
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2020
    I think you need to narrow it down to amp, radio or cable.  Can you take ohm meter readings on the individual lines of the cable with the amp disconnected?  If you get good readings there, then the problem is likely the amp.  If not, then it is either the radio or cable.
    Len
  • Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    It's a USB to BCD cable. Hard to test the lines. My bet is on the amp.
  • Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    So how did the Remote On-Off go?  Was it a simple switch of the +13.5 vdc on Pin 1 using a Digital Logger relay?
  • KR5OG Paul K
    KR5OG Paul K Member ✭✭

Just received my C323HM-DDHSL-0 Cable and installed a 15 pin Din connector, Plugged it into to the Quadra and it follows the 6600M perfectly.

Thanks Mike VE3CKO and others on this topic.

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭

Glad I was able to help. It is with some sadness thought that I will be surrendering my Quadra shortly and putting it up for sale. Won't be sad too much because I have a PGXL on it's way.

• Juergen
    Juergen Member ✭✭
    Thank you very much, Mike! I have ordered the cable from Flexradio and the installation to a DB15 connector and the setup of my 6400 was a very easy exercise following the description. Everything works fine from 160 to 6 m except 60m, which is a cosmetical issue somehow because I will not use the amp on 60 m most probably but still annoying. The Quadra works on 60m together with my old YAESU FT1000MP MKV, I had modified to transmit on 60m. So the question is if something needs to be modified in the Flex settings. Any help would be nice.
    Juergen, DL8LE
  • TonyB
    TonyB Member
    > @"Mike VE3CKO" said:
    > If I understand what I've read, you should not use both connectors. From what you described you will have the 1000MP on band data 2 and Flexradio on band data 1. Yaesu says one or the other NOT both, if you do you run the risk of damaging the amp or the radio.
  • TonyB
    TonyB Member
    Really? I have run two radios into my Quadra when doing SO2R with no problems - not for some years I must admit. G4LDL.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.