Yaesu MD-100 desk microphone 5 volt power for it's preamp with 6400

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
I see posts about using the Yaesu MD-100 with the 6400 but none address the 5 volts required to power it's equalizer. In the microphone the common for the 5V is the microphone - connection. It is isolated from the "chassis" ground. Question is, if I make 5V from a 3 leg 7805 volt regulator and use the 6400 microphone - lead for ti's common will that harm the 6400? ( As a note the flex 3000 was Yaesu compatible but the microphone - and chassis grounds were tied together from what I can read on the schematic and yes, I know with the 8 band equalizer in the Flex I don't need the amp active in the MD-100 but if I have something I want the option to use it even though I don't need it. )
Photo of Craig Williams

Craig Williams

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of Steven Linley

Steven Linley

• 156 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Life is too short, just use the eq in the radio.
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 577 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Hello Craig,

Flex would have to respond to your 5V question as the 1/8" TRS connector on the 6400 can provide 3V according to the Hardware Reference manual...

Photo of Craig Williams

Craig Williams

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Well, my 6400 arrived at 13:30. I made a patch cable from an ethernet cable so I can use my MD-100 with 2 radios, equalizer bypassed. Followed all the instructions from Flex and it is working great. THEN I REALIZED, the flex hand mike is like all Yaesu hand mikes. It has an RJ45 plug that plugs into the bottom of the mike. I could have un plugged the cable from the mic and plugged into my RJ45 switch box! Well, at least I got to use my soldering iron today.

(Edited)