Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Xfinity/Comcast & SmartLink

Kevin Conde
Kevin Conde Member
edited January 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Unable to connect to radio from outside the local network.  My ISP is Comcast/Xfinity.  I'm sure someone has already solved this issue.  I can't seem to find anyway to set up UPnP on the Comcast router to make the process automatic.  When I test the SmartLink I get the green button indicating the test is successful.  But, when I try to connect via AT&T cell service with my iPad, the app cannot find my radio. When I connect to my local network via wifi with the iPad, it controls the radio with no issues.

I've tried to set up manual port forwarding on the comcast router, with no joy.  Has someone made this work, and if so can you explain the steps necessary to get it working?

Thanks,

Kevin Conde

Answers

• Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    What type of modem do you have?  Here in southern CT I have a Cisco DPC3941T which has been working OK  for v2 on Comcast service.  I don't use UPnP at all.  I tried UPnP without success, but the manual procedure just worked. UPnP could be a security issue, so I'm happy to disable it.

Comcast has "helpfully" moved some of my router control functions to its website (https://internet.xfinity.com/) at least in my area.  I set up a reserved IP address (on the router's local web page) so my 6500 will always have the same IP.  Then I set up the forwarding for ports 4993 (UDP) and 4994 (TCP) on the external Xfinity site.

I could give more details, but things might be different in your area, or you might have a different router.

73 Martin AA6E
  • KENT HUFFORD
    KENT HUFFORD Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I cannot get mine to work using a ATT phone as a hot spot. When I use a VERIZON cell phone it works fine.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

@Kevin - what do you get it you select the SmartLink option for your radio in your radio chooser?

That is a connection that goes out to SmartLink and returns back, with everything on your Xfinity/Comcast network.  If it works it then suggests your SmartLink problems are at your AT&T cell hookup for your iPad.

GL & 73,

Steve K9ZW

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    @KENT I USE ATT phone and iPad directly and as a hitspot for Maestro with no issues so must be something you are doing
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Kevin,

As Martin mentioned above, I too avoid UPNP. I use either a Maestro or Windows tablet. For me, manually forwarding the two necessary ports, 4993UDP & 4994TCP, is easier & much more likely to yield a stable result than relying on an automatic scheme that might act unpredictably.

Since you didn't say which modem you are using, setup advice isn't possible here.

You might consider buying your own modem for Comcast. Motorola labeled modems are widely available & it will save you $10 a Month on your Comcast bill.

I also have telephone Service with Comcast so I needed a modem that would handle that as well. I bought a refurbished Comcast Arris TG826 on eBay & set it to "Bridge" mode. If you don't want to navigate the setup screens, Comcast will do this for you when you activate the unit with them. This bypasses the modem's routing function.

With that you can buy an everyday $100 router of your choice & install it behind the modem. If you get a router that other Flex users have described here, you will, presumably, have full access to all its features including simple port forwarding, a manual plus access to good advice on this forum.

I frequently use my Maestro tethered to my AT&T Prepaid phone via the Internet & Comcast at home. It works well & you can look forward to good times with yours.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I realize this might get technical but I have comcast xfinity as well.

First, Xfinity allows you to either rent a modem or use your own.  Direct from an Xfinity tech he said their modems are ****.  Best to go and buy your own.  You'll pay for it in a very short time not paying the rental.

I did this.  I bought an Arris TG862 modem.   What I found worked the best was to put this modem in "bridge" mode.  Which means it is nothing more than a modem.  No routing, firewall or anything.

Then I purchased an IQ Router based on the recommendations in this forum.  That is what handles all the routing and it loves uPNP.

This solution works very nicely.  You'll quickly pay for the modem and IQ Router in the savings of the rental.

Just my 2c

Mark - WS7M

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    LOL Bob... I posted almost the same thing below...  Highly recommend the IQ Router.
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    The Cisco DPC3941T rented from Comcast actually works quite well for me. (You need it if you're using Comcast VOIP as we do.) It's a lot friendlier than earlier Comcast units. I had used it in bridge mode with a good Asus router, but the Cisco by itself worked better for me. (More reliable) Moral: Go ahead with your own router if you want, but you might try the Comcast unit first.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Mark, That's funny. I use a small Peplink Balance 20 enterprise router. It is a dual WAN router plus it will accept a cellular modem's USB Internet connection as a third backup. I got it due to unreliable ISPs where I used to live. I subscribed to both cable & DSL for redundancy.

Sometimes I was away for three months at a time & couldn't afford to have a complete disconnect with no one there to kick something. Now I've moved into Comcast territory & their service is nearly flawless & the Peplink has never once skipped a beat so I've had no reason to change it. It will even send me an email on the alternate link if it fails three test DNS lookups in a row on one ISP or the other. That way I know to kick things remotely such as power cycle a stuck modem.

73, Bob
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Well I have one of those web power switches and the routers and modems are on that.  I have that configured to ping the outside world about every 5 minutes.  If I don't get a response then the web power switch tries a backup ping.  If that one too fails then it tries a power cycle on the modem and router.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Martin, Thanks!  These Cisco routers are also on eBay for around $60.  6-month payback versus renting.  I think I'll try one.  Either the TG826 or the Cisco will become primary & the other backup.
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Be sure the router is truly Comcast compatible. That's one advantage of getting it the normal way (renting). Also you get the latest updates automatically.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.