WWV Shut Down Sept 15, 2018

• Question
  • Updated 7 days ago
May be fake news, I don't know, but there is a link on QRZ.com to sign a petition to stop the planned shutdown. Please go and sign the petition.
Photo of Ken Davis

Ken Davis

• 66 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
  • sad

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of David Ahrendts

David Ahrendts

• 81 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Photo of Rick  WN2C

Rick WN2C

• 268 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Not fake news. They want to save about $7 million by doing this. A proverbial drop in the bucket of the Federal Budget. I don't believe it will cover a days worth of interest on the money the government owes us. Yes I do mean us as in the taxpayers us.
Photo of WQ2H - Jim Poulette

WQ2H - Jim Poulette

• 78 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Why would a link on QRZ be considered "fake news" ?

The NSF clearly does a lot of good, but has also funded "scientific" studies teaching sea monkeys how to swim in formation, teaching land monkeys how to gamble, running shrimp on tiny treadmills, running mountain lions on giant treadmills, watching humans play FarmVille, watching humans use Flickr, building a robot that can fold laundry, and once spent $350,000 in taxpayer money to study whether Japanese quail enjoy doing cocaine. I guess WWV is just too......well.......boring maybe.

here's the link: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/maintain-funding-nist-stations-wwv-wwvh

Jim, WQ2H

Photo of Andrew Thall

Andrew Thall

• 134 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
That is in the PROPOSED BUDGET.  It has not yet been considered by Congress nor passed into law.  That deadline is for the petition to Congress.
Photo of Phill Beistel

Phill Beistel

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
The petition is closed.
But you are correct, it is only a proposal not a law!

Photo of Wally Crail

Wally Crail

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
It has cost the US government $77,000,000 so far for Trump to play his 144 rounds of golf, which is about $3,000 per hole, so it is little wonder why they can't afford to keep WWV running. For now, its pulse is steady, and strong.
Photo of WQ2H - Jim Poulette

WQ2H - Jim Poulette

• 78 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Well, that may be but - my grand-dad had a saying;

"Most people are simply not bright enough to discuss politics"