WWV 100

• Praise
  • Updated 1 month ago
Hi all,

Those of you that received the ARRL email recently probably saw a short blurb about the WWV 100 year celebration.

Living in Fort Collins, just a few miles south of WWV, and being a member of the local club I will be part of the crew helping to organize the event.

When I first heard about the event I jumped into help with everything I had.  To me WWV is really the reason we have radios and a hobby at all.   The station will technically be 100 years old next October and while it has moved around a bit the intent of the celebration is to show respect to an icon of the radio industry.

I began listening to WWV in about 1968.  All I had at the time was one of those shortwave radios that had the big dial and a little telescoping antenna.  I think it was a Zenith, transoceanic model.

WWV was a station I could easily pickup living in Southern CA.  When I was old enough my father relied upon me to listen to WWV and set all of our clocks on a monthly basis.

Later when I became a ham I used to use WWV for my frequency standard as is still done by many today.  I also used it to determine if the bands might be open.  I'd go to the 10 mhz broadcast to see if 40m might work.  The 20 mhz for 15 meters etc.

When I heard it might be decommissioned I was quite sad.  I think it is an icon of history and I believe it is still a very useful service.

Anyway, as one of the event organizers and helpers I am hoping that FRS might help us out with some world class stations.  I'm not in charge of gear and I am not sure who/when/what but my hope would be to show case flex radios at the event.

We will be operating just scant hundreds of feet from the HF antennas at WWV so radio that perform well in high RF fields will be a must.

For those of you interested please visit:    http://wwv100.com to read about the event.  If you would like to come to Fort Collins and be a part of this once in a lifetime event we have an operator request submission form up on the site.

Let me know if you have any questions.  I'm so looking forward to this event.  We hope to work the world and will be running the stations 24/7 for a week.

Even if you can't come to the event and operate, look for us on the bands. We should have a schedule and rough operating frequencies and times as the date approaches!

Mark - WS7M
Photo of Mark WS7M

Mark WS7M

• 505 Posts
  • 149 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1232 Posts
  • 456 Reply Likes
Bumping this up in case folks did not see it.
Photo of AC9S

AC9S

• 86 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Thanks for the update.

Keith - AC9S
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 661 Posts
  • 207 Reply Likes
If you make the celebration a contest Flex might be interested.