Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WSJT-X v1.7.0 will not allow any selection for audio input

Kevin N9JKP
Kevin N9JKP Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hi, This may be caused by something I have done or not done.  I have watched videos and read manuals but may have missed something.

So, while I have used other software to successfully decode JT65 digital transmissions I cannot get the WSJT-X software to work.  The main problem is that I cannot enter the sound input in settings under the soundcard tab.  Nothing I do opens that field to allow input or selection.

I get error messages when I restart.  I have removed and downloaded (an it is the current version).

Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Kevin N9JKP

Answers

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    This is odd Kevin. I happen to be using WSJT-X 1.7.0 r7405 at the moment and don't see this issue. My Audio Input dropdown shows all the DAX devices.

I'm set up slightly different than you on the radio tab but I don't think that would affect the audio tab.

Curious what SmartDAX looks like.

Kevin K4VD
  • Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Kevin I will email you a one page fro instructions of what your problem maybe!  I had the same issues and I worked with Dudley at FRS and wrote the procedures of what to do in this case.  I got your email at QRZ.COM. If that is not correct, please let me know.  I call it my "How to correct DAX errors in Audio Input & Outputs" for dummies like me. 
  • KS0CW
    KS0CW Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    use Kenwood TS2000 for the Rig:

• Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Check your email... it should be there by now!
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited February 2017
    Any chance you could post the document here? Or maybe Flex could add it to their helpdesk page?
  • Kevin N9JKP
    Kevin N9JKP Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Ernest,
    I did get the email, I will try it after supper.
    Kevin
  • Kevin N9JKP
    Kevin N9JKP Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Kevin Schafer,
    I am using the TS2000 for the rig and the CAT function does test good, so that part works.
  • Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I forwarded it to Tim; he was going to look it over and posted: However, As of today I have not seeing it anywhere.  I have many request for it and the only thing I can say the problems were resolved on the first try. 
    The issue seems to be, that DAX errors occurred in the computer sound I/O; and those errors need to be deleted by removing all the DAX drivers and then reinstalled. However, I tried to using the one that Tim wrote and for me was rather wordy and confusing. I wrote mine so anyone can follow. In other word I kept it simple and with a KISS!
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    WithV1.7 you should no longer need to iluse Kenwood as Flex works now
  • KS0CW
    KS0CW Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    thanks for the info....
  • Kevin N9JKP
    Kevin N9JKP Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Howard,
    I will try it with Flex.  Unfortunately, deleting and re-installing of the drivers didn't resolve it.  I am going to do it all again, very carefully, in the morning.
  • Kevin N9JKP
    Kevin N9JKP Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Nope, still a no go.  I can change frequency and band from the WSJT-X but it will not open up the input box. (I am now using the Flex as my rig selection.)  I can and have selected the output.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    imageimage
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Not sure what ur issue is but setup is simple and takes 30 seconds. The IP address I use is the up of my Flex radio and the TCP port
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

Are you trying to set the transmit audio source on the radio tab? That is greyed out. You need to use the audio tab and you should then see the DAX selections. We are assuming you selected to install DAX and CAT when installing SmartSDR.

Dave wo2x

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Or, I think, you can use "local host:5004" (or whatever port you wish to assign) if all the numbers get in your way. I think that is the way I am doing it.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Yes, the select buttons in the radio tab for "rear data" and "front mic" are to tell legacy rigs which connector to use. We just define our connection as the virtual audio DAX ports in the audio tab. Slick!
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    My WSJT is transmitting on DAX RX6 !!! (****) even though I selected DAX_TX on WSJT. I can't get CAT to work with WSPR. All of these used to work. I've been using SmartSDR for over 2 years and know my way around. FLDIGI works ok when I select DAX TX for Transmit.
    Still, tons of issues with every software update. I understand this is Beta, but in order to use the DEMI gear I need to use it. ..... I am not having a great time with a constant fight with the radio to do even simple things.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    Salvador, Check device manager under audio devices. My DAX was all wrong after a Microsoft Windows 10 update. I completely removed all traces of DAX, rebooted and reinstalled SmartSDR. I will post a picture of my Device Manager audio section in a few minutes. You will see it was messed up. Dave wo2x
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited February 2017

Here is what my Device Manager looked like before I completely removed DAX and reinstalled. (Thanks Microsoft!)

Dave wo2x

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for the help!
    A restart of WSJT solved the issue. No idea what happened.
    WSPR still having trouble with CAT... maybe a couple of restarts, some dancing around, some voodoo... lol
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Have same issue with Audio Input. Can select only one entree "Default Input Device"
    Output - no problem; full range exist and selectable

CAT is working well
    Have removed and install SSDR again, no changes. Every time i have done a reboot.

Flex amd SSDR working well, all DAX "channels" are visible in Device manager
    WSJT must be OK, run well with 2. TRX

Where is the operator fault ?

• Kevin N9JKP
    Kevin N9JKP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    All,
    Thanks for the ideas and comments.  Nothing has worked.  I have uninstalled almost everything, rebooted and reloaded dozens of times and still it doesn't work.  I suspect that there is a problem with the way the program interfaces with my computer (Realtec Sound).  

I may try it (Flex and WSJT-X) on my work laptop since it has no ham software on it and is a Window 10 Pro machine.  (I did load WSJT-X on it this afternoon and it showed both input and output).
    Kevin
  • Kevin N9JKP
    Kevin N9JKP Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Still no luck.  I got everything working FB on my laptop so I know all the software and the radio is working, this leaves the Realtek sound devices.  I have uninstalled and re-installed the latest version still a no go.  I am posting this question in the WSJT Yahoo group hoping someone has run into this same problem
  • Kevin N9JKP
    Kevin N9JKP Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Finally, got it working BUT only after I installed the newest version of Windows 10 Creators. (Windows 10 Pro Version 1703)

So there was something about my configuration/hardware that nothing but this new release resolved.

Needless to say, SmartSDR works well with Windows Creators.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    W10 is the worst thing to happen to Flex.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited April 2017
    One of the things I do now is to uninstall SmartSDR and uninstall DAX drivers when prompted before doing the OS upgrade. I then reboot and reinstall SmartSDR. I haven't had corrupted DAX doing it that way.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I had a long conversation with Igor. We try many things but with no success. All my other soft like RTTY, CW or any other digital soft runs well.
    At last i do a reinstall (there is a function in W10 with option "not loosing data") and now all run without problems.  Was it W10 or JTDX or ...

73 Chris

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.