WSJT-X Transmit Problem

  • 2
  • Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
I see others have had this problem, but there is no definitive solution. I have a new Flex 6300 after upgrading from a Flex 3000. I do almost exclusively digital, and I have had frustration after frustration with the 6300. I definitely would not recommend anyone upgrade at this point in time.

I would like to detail all the applications that do not work well, but I would like to start with WSJT-X. As of today, October 2, 2015, I am using the latest available versions of everything.

WSJT-X will not transmit. In Smart SDR and DAX, all the levels gauges look correct, except the RF output. There isn't any. None at all. Nothing I have tried has made any difference. I have followed examples posted verbatim. I have tried reboots of both the radio and the computer. I have done everything short of standing on one foot and waving a pair of pink boxers over my head in a thunderstorm.

I have been a Windows software engineer for as long as Windows has existed. I have been trying to troubleshoot this and come up with some concrete details, but I cannot. So as a last resort I am turning to the community. 

Everything points to a serious problem with DAX. I have unusual problems with JT65HF, Winlink, MMSSTV, and other programs I never had with my 3000. 

When I received the 6300, it had SmartSDR 1.4.16. The WSJT-X transmit problem was "occasional" at that point and occurred mainly after a JT9 QSO. Rebooting the radio and the software usually fixed the problem and I tried to just stay away from JT9. With SmartSDR 1.5, the problem is now permanent. I can't transmit at all. 

Interestingly, I can switch over to jt65 hf hb9hqx edition, and it transmits fine and I get great signal reports. BUT, it is only decoding about 1/3 of the strong signals and none of the weak. So it's mostly deaf.

I am the host of our local weekly two hour digital modes net and it is one of the most popular nets we have here. I have sung the praises of Flex for a couple of years now. Unfortunately, while I spend a lot of time helping other people learn and troubleshoot digital, I can't help myself. Everyone can operate during the net except me and my 6300. I haven't been able to participate in our weekly RMS Express exercise since I started using the 6300 a few weeks ago. But that's another sad story.

Thankfully I kept my 3000 and will probably have to give up on the 6300 and go back to something that works reliably. Until then, I am hoping that someone here has some wisdom they can impart that will lead me down a path to a solution. I don't mind a little hard work, and I realize that in many ways this is not yet a production quality product. But I am afraid that I may get stuck in release hell, perpetually waiting for new versions and hoping that each will solve the problems.

Anyway, I am hoping there is someone with some little trick I haven't tried yet!

Thanks and 73

Brian - K6BPM Santa Barbara
Photo of Brian - K6BPM

Brian - K6BPM

  • 14 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
  • Disappointed

Posted 3 years ago

  • 2
Photo of Brian - K6BPM

Brian - K6BPM

  • 14 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Official Response
I had a little epiphany last night after writing this post. I really hate giving up, and have spent 30 years solving computer problems.

I decided to try disabling the Windows 7 (Pro) Aero desktop. It is a well known resource hog, but it looks a lot better than the "Classic" Windows desktop. It uses graphics acceleration and virtually doubles Windows handles in some cases because it is over-drawing the translucent and stylized window borders over the normal window control borders. Windows handles are finite and not equated to installed memory. Resource starvation is the cause of many problems programmers need to be acutely aware of when designing applications. It isn't that common of a problem anymore, however the SmartSDR user base is extremely tiny compared to mainstream software, so it may not be as easy to relate SSDR to retail software programming faults. I overlooked this and I can see how Flex might not get the input they need to tweak things for everyone.

Here are simple instructions for doing this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-aero-on-windows-vista/

Well, WSJT-X immediately came to life. All the problems I was experiencing with 1.5 AND 1.4.16 are gone. Everything works as it should now. My waveforms are perfect now, and not distorted as they were with 1.4.16 before TX went dead for good. My RF output is now constant instead of jumping up and down. With 1.4.16, any time I did a JT9 contact, I had to reboot everything AND copy a known good version of the WXJT-X INI file back in to get it to work again. This has fixed this problem too.

Hopefully this works for others. I am hoping this continues to work for me ;) I am going to try other applications I was having problems with and will post results here.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and moral support!

73

Brian - K6BPM