Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WSJT-X SETUP SETTINGS

W5AP
W5AP Member
When setting up WSJT-X 2.0, I Can only get it to do FT8 with the radio set to HRD and a slice A ip of 127.0.0.1.7831. Setting the radio to Flex 6xxx does not work. Any ideas?

Answers

• Tom Worthington
    Tom Worthington Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I run with the Rig set to FlexRadio 6xxx, and the Cat Control to Network Server 127.0.0.1:5002
    I use a serial port on SmartCAT for PTT.
    Seems to work that way.
    GL de NH6Y
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Hi W5AP,

With those settings, it sounds like you are using Slice Master.  You can make other settings work, but if you want to continue using Slice Master, you shouldnt.  Part of Slice Master's job is to configure WSJT-X so you dont have to.

--Don

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Good question! I have the same issue!!
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Just a question to both of you (not Don).

I'm curious (seriously, curious) if when you started to create this conversation did any other conversations pop up about the same question.

It is not uncommon to have the same question/conversation to be created many times and I am wondering if the search isn't working as it should.

Thanks and I hope it answered your questions.

Mike

• N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I have another question for W5AP. When you say it doesn't work, just what does
    that mean? It doesn't receive? Transmit? Question, too vague.
    I have WSJT version 2 and it has Flex 6XXX for the rig and it works here. I can
    post my settings. What is your CAT set for for the Flex?
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Here is a snapshot of my screen which works.

Make sure your DAX channels are correct and enabled also.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited February 2019
    Wow... that was a good video before.  Let me see what happened.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    edited February 2019
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited February 2019
    Thanks Mike. That definitely helped me.

Kev

• W5AP
    W5AP Member
    edited February 2019
    On startup of WSJT-X ver2, I get a hamlib error and a pop up window with 4 options - restart, cancel, config, settings.   So the cat is set to 172.0.0.1.7831 with the PTT set to a flex PTT DAX channel 12. If I choose the radio as HRD, I get a green connect button in WSJT-X  and all works fine when starting from Slicemaster or from the WSJT-X directly. If I choose the radio 6xxx, then I get the errors on startup.   I've tried other DAX channels for 172.0.0.1. xxxx and set that in the WSJT-X settings, but that makes no difference.   So its working with the radio set to HRD, but I don't know why. One of those deals where you just don't mess with it and all is OK.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I believe you either may have made a typo, or you have used an incorrect IP address. You should be using a local Loopback address (the local computer) to talk to CAT i.e. "127.0.0.1:port"
  • W5AP
    W5AP Member
    edited February 2019
    Thanks
    It was a typo and that is what I'm using
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Did you create the TCP port in PowerSDR CAT?
  • W5AP
    W5AP Member
    edited February 2019
    Yes for each network server I tried ie: 127.0.0.1.xxxx
  • Tom Worthington
    Tom Worthington Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    make sure there is a : not a . before the port number...
    127.0.0.1:xxxx
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Good catch...  I saw that as well in the original post but failed to comment...
  • W5AP
    W5AP Member
    edited February 2019
    That was it. You solved my question
    Now I can set the radio to flex 6xxx and the port to 5004 with the 
    Smart SDR CAT TCP port set to 5004 an it works. 
    I should have noticed that Slicemaster was setting 127.0.0.1:7841 with the radio set to HRD and I didn't see the :
    Wow. And I even had my glasses on
    Thanks and 73, Jim

Woops, that didn't fix it. As slicemaster continues to set WSJT-X up as before ie:rig-HRD and network server 127.0.0.1:7831
    However WSJT-X does work ok with these settings.
    I'll keep playing with it

I believe the problem is with SliceMaster. Same with all previous versions, but I have 
    6000-v0.10.6a installed and it is very slow to initialize if at all. WSJT-X v2.0.0 works fine by itself with the settings rig=flex 6xxx and port 5xxx set in Cat control - network server. 

comments?
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Jim,

Hope you have it working,  but just in case,  maybe I will confuse you more  ;-)  ,

Make sure that you have created or at least have a  TCP port created in SmartCAT.  The default is created with port 5002 as the directed port.  You can use another port number there if you like, but that port number needs to be entered when you direct WSJT to get the CAT commands from the TCP port.   So if you do use the PC server IP number,  127.0.0.1    your port number from the SmartCAT TCP port needs to follow with the  " : " by default,  " 5002 "   but can be any other unused port number that you have assigned in SmartCAT  . 

Dudley
    WA5QPZ
  • roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited April 2019
    OK so what dont I have set correct?  I get this error when trying to connect felx via js8call.  If I set

If I set radio to the gold standard "Kenwood TS-2000" it works.

• roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited April 2019
    yes
  • roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited April 2019
    its there by default

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.