Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WSJT-X not decoding. I am seeing signals in the WSJT-X waterfall; clock seems accurate

Answers

• Joe - KB6IGK
    Joe - KB6IGK Member
    edited May 2018
    Same issue with 6600...Win 10. Noticed a Win10 update occurred yesterday. 

Updated Meinberg
    Added a 4th NTP server per Tim's suggestion
    Tried Ria's 3 tips
    ...still no decode.

Other suggestions?

• Joe - KB6IGK
    Joe - KB6IGK Member
    edited May 2018
    Okay. After trying various of the fixes posted above, including the Hamlib-modified version of WSJT-X by David Decoons (which worked perfectly for months),  the only solution that works now is selecting "TS-460" in the radio config. Problem resolved.

• tchays
    tchays Member
    edited September 2018
    thanks!   if the green division lines in the waterfall do not lie between the message bursts... you're going to have a bad time. :)

• Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Last evening I had signal on the waterfall but no decoding. stopped DAX and restarted it. Good decoding followed. What perplexes me is that FRS has known about DAX being iffy software, yet they have not done anything to fix it, nothing.
    They're to involved trying to satisfy a certain few with their $7000.00 amplifier.
  • Tim O'Hara
    Tim O'Hara Member
    edited March 2020
    I just started having the no decode issue with WSJT-X.  I tried BitTimeSync instead of Dimension 4 for time syncing and didn't find much difference. Timing doesn't appear to be the main issue. I loaded JTDX and the decodes started right up.  Not sure why.  I was only able to decode one very clean signal with WSJT-X.  I then started JTDX and the decodes came flooding in.  Not sure what this group did but wow it really works. 
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Are you running WSJT-X version 2.0? 

Version 1.9 & prior will not decode v2.0 signals. 

VAST majority of FT8 signals are V2 since December, 2018.

Also note this thread is a whole year old.

Bob

• Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I am also having the "no decode" issue with WSJT-X v 2.0.  Never had this problem until the update.  My DAX is working fine with all other programs and functions.  I have synched my clock, and also before it stops working I have no problem making QSOs.  Re-booting seems to solve the problem (temporarily).  I am convinced that it is a WSJT-X 2.0 problem, not a DAX problem.  de W6VZV
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Ok, I am not saying this is your problem. But one of the pain in the but issues with pc’s is the Registry. A clean Registry is a must for stable PC operation. In the time that I instituted in maintaining a clean Registry, I have had no problems with any programs. I use “Clean my PC”. Which does a great job of keeping the Registry running correctly. Reason for this is that the Registry keeps all the system related info of the apps you use. If there is old or corrupted data in the Registry it can **** things up. Hope this helps, but it is a good policy to follow even if it is not the reason for your problem. For me it cleaned up com port problems, as well as some app issues. My PC operation is now very solid. Good luck.....
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I did some experimenting last night once I understood that my WSJT-X problem was the decoding freeze.  It appears that if I start WSJT-X after a fresh reboot, no problem (so far).  I'm guessing it is some kind of memory issue.  Less certainly, putting WSJT-X on the "CQ Only" setting seems to be a precondition for the bug, so for now I have stopped doing that.  de Roger W6VZV
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    So with WSJT set for "CQ Only," you are not seeing any "CQs"?
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I will see the CQs until it stops decoding.  Then no more new CQs.
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    By my experience this week it appears that on a fast computer with lots of memory (I use a water-cooled gaming computer) WSJT-X will not freeze its decoding so long as you reboot periodically.  There may be a memory leak in WSJT software (or it may be something else).  I can find no DAX or SDR issues.  de Roger W6VZV
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Roger,
         This may be a long shot...
         If your using the FlexRadio 6xxx CAT interface, then try Kenwood TS-480 instead.  The FlexRadio 6xxx CAT has a bug in the WSJT-X hamlib that could be a part of the problem your having.. But if it is, you seem to have an extreme case.  

AL, K0VM
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am having no problems with my Flex 6400M now that I understand the problem.  I can go many days at a time and the problem resolves by re-booting maybe once per week.  I also don't think that this is related to the CAT interface as PTT and waterfall display are unaffected by the problem; only decoding freezes.  But I've got it under control by the foregoing.   Don't want to go back to a legacy radio!  de Roger W6VZV
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I think Al was suggesting that you choose the Kenwood under the WSJT-X radio setup tab.
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Oh, guess I took my **** pill this morning.  Well, I'll keep that in mind but I think I've got the problem resolved.  de Roger W6VZV.
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    No worries...I have had better results using the Kenwood TS-2000 (I think, I'm not near the radio) choice. I tried the Flex option and it seemed to work and then it didn't. 

It's unclear what's up with that but it has been mentioned on the forum previously.

Geoff 
  • Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Roger J. Buffington, I never had the problem with the older WSJTX software and my Flex 6600 radio but after I upgraded it to 2.0 I have far fewer decodes I can see that traffic on the waterfall and so also on the Flex Spectral display. But no decodes. Someone suggested Slice Master which I downloaded and it is up. The problem is intermittent, it decodes sometimes and then nothing. My PC is a NUC running Win 10 and one more PC a Panasonic Toughpad running Windows 7 both seem to have the same issue and both are dedicated for the Flex 6600 radio. I have 20 meter voice QSOs no problem the same time when I have no decodes on FT8.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I think it still may be a time problem even though you think it's ok...What I have had to do is hold my smart phone up in front of the computer screen then open the set time window on the computer. You can pause the time then un pause it right when the time on the phone changes. I find being out 1 or 2 seconds is all is needed to cause trouble with decoding.
  • Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Same issue here, I see no new QSO maybe an occasional one but I can't connect. I do see sometimes QSO completed by others.
  • Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Geoff, I tried that Slice Master picks its own radio and port
  • Dave
    Dave Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I’ve had great luck with 6400 and ft8. Make sure noise reduction off. Be sure computer clock is synced
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Yes, Meinberg solved my clock issue.

de Roger W6VZV
  • Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Roger, Here is how I'm now able to decode, the clock could be one of the problems and so also the Mic levels as some of the people have suggested here and other forums. There are a few option for Windows UTC clocks and also clock sync , I picked the NIST clock and watched the Clock display and the FT-8 display which matched. I wish there was a way to sync with the Flex Radio GPS clock, that will be very accurate and far less drift in my view. I also updated WSJTX software with bug fixes to V2.0.1 image
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I use an external GPSDO which has a 10MHz output for the radios, and a 1PPS and RS232 NMEA output for computer clock synchronization. This one external device does it all for me - disciplines the VFO and sets the computer clock (and provides a local NTP server for other local computers when there is no Internet - i.e. Field Day and other remote operations).
  • Chris Coles
    Chris Coles Member
    edited April 2019
    yes, the WSJT-X 2.01 forces my FTDX3000 into Data USB mode. This does not work. So I have to disconnect the radio from CAT control to make it work correctly :-( I hope this is fixed in a future release.
  • Chris Coles
    Chris Coles Member
    edited April 2019
    OMG. There is a setting under the CAT Control. This needs to be set to USB, not DATA Pkt! Now it works.
  • Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    It is DAX I have to reboot sometimes to get it to work, but lately I have had no issues. I make contacts, sometimes it does not work and there could be many factors, remote receiver, propagation and timing
  • W3PH
    W3PH Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    This fixed the time-of-day clock issue for me also.  No decode, installed Meinburg NTP software, decoding after that with no need to reboot.  /Paul W3PH
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Regarding:   WSJT-X drops control of my radio every few hours,

That is a known problem with using the TCP Rig Control set to Flex-6xxx
    in WSJT-X radio panel, and it does NOT happen (works fine) if you set the
    rig type to Kenwood TS-2000 and a com port.   Flex is aware of this.
    It is a problem with the puclic open-source HamLib software that gets 
    built into WSJT-X.

Use the Kenwood TS-2000 setting, then no issues.

Neal

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.