WSJT-X not decoding. I am seeing signals in the WSJT-X waterfall; clock seems accurate

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
WSJT-X not decoding. I am seeing signals in the WSJT-X waterfall; I can send CQ and getting RF out; the clock seems to be within 0.2 secs of accurate. The incoming signal strength is between 40 and 6 dB. Could this be a software glitch induced by Windows 10? When I say it is not decoding I mean absolutely NOTHING is decoding, whether JT-65, JT-9, FT-8. I'm using a Flex 6700 with version 2 software.
Photo of Gregory Stobbs

Gregory Stobbs

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Bob Craig, K8RC

Bob Craig, K8RC

• 253 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Make sure you are using USB or DIGU.  

If you use LSB or DIGL it will cause the problem that you describe by inverting the phase of the recovered signal from normal.
Photo of David

David

• 301 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
If that isn't it I have found that uninstalling the DAX drivers (or all flex software), reboot, and reinstalling has brought digital modes back to life.  Many will say that is overkill but I spent a lot of time toggling and checking setting to find the brief 5 minutes to uninstall reinstall got it going.
Photo of Bob Craig, K8RC

Bob Craig, K8RC

• 253 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
He says he is seeing signals in the WSJT-X waterfall.

If DAX wasn't feeding audio the signals would not be seen in the app's waterfall.
Photo of David

David

• 301 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
yes I have had the same thing happen. It is frustrating because everything looks like it should be working. Waterfall shows activity but nothing decodes. I uninstalled, reboot, reinstall and it decodes. I spent a lot time before doing that checking settings, making sure there was another program running that might causing a conflict, etc. So just saying it doesn't time must time to just flush it out and start it over. It could also be worth uninstalling the wsjt-x software at the same time and reinstall with a fresh download. The configuration will stay in place. Everyone has their own solution.
Photo of Chris DL5NAM

Chris DL5NAM

• 663 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Reduce audio input level
Photo of Bob Gerzoff, WK2Y

Bob Gerzoff, WK2Y

• 194 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
One oddity I have noticed is that you have to tune\transmit momentarily before decoding occurs.
73, Bob WK2Y 
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 461 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
Working here. Just got off 160 working several European stations. Sounds like it’s going to e a good night!
Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 725 Posts
  • 127 Reply Likes
Last evening I had signal on the waterfall but no decoding. stopped DAX and restarted it. Good decoding followed. What perplexes me is that FRS has known about DAX being iffy software, yet they have not done anything to fix it, nothing.
They're to involved trying to satisfy a certain few with their $7000.00 amplifier.
Photo of NX6D Dave

NX6D Dave

• 308 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
I would send the question to the WSJT-X developer's email reflector.  Their point of view will be oriented toward their program as long as it can be shown that the signal is reaching the program.  Our point of view is sorta the opposite.  We can advise about getting the signal into the program, but after that, we don't know any more than anyone else, except the WSJT-X experts.

Information about how to join that reflector can be found at www.wsjtx.net.
Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 727 Posts
  • 128 Reply Likes
I believe you have a clock anomaly. I had the same problem but it was due to clock synchronization.
I installed the Meinburg clock software that Ria suggested. Problem went away. GL
Photo of Roger,  W6VZV

Roger, W6VZV

• 236 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Yes, Meinberg solved my clock issue.

de Roger W6VZV
Photo of Paul - W3PH

Paul - W3PH

• 27 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
This fixed the time-of-day clock issue for me also.  No decode, installed Meinburg NTP software, decoding after that with no need to reboot.  /Paul W3PH
Photo of Al K0VM

Al K0VM, Elmer

• 606 Posts
  • 102 Reply Likes
I have seem my WSJT stop decoding after a period of time.. Usually fixed by closing and restarting the DAX GUI, WSJT-X and/or the radio..  For me it is likely to stop decoding if the CPU is heavily loaded..  I do run Meinburg for clock sync.
AL, K0VM
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 464 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
So after one of the recent Windows 10 updates I had to reinstall Meinberg. All back to normal.
Photo of Rick Hadley - W0FG

Rick Hadley - W0FG

• 594 Posts
  • 129 Reply Likes
WSJT-X drops radio control of both my radios (6400 & 6500) every few hours.  With the current version of WSJT-X I'm running  (set up under Flex 6K control)rather than Kenwood) it requires a reboot of the computer to get it back.  I haven't seen an occurance of it just stopping decoding without losing connection to the rigs.  I run Dimension4 for sync.
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2305 Posts
  • 940 Reply Likes
That is a bug in hamlib I think. I have seen that as well. I switched to TS2000. 
Photo of Neal Pollack, N6YFM

Neal Pollack, N6YFM

• 215 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
Regarding:   WSJT-X drops control of my radio every few hours,

That is a known problem with using the TCP Rig Control set to Flex-6xxx
in WSJT-X radio panel, and it does NOT happen (works fine) if you set the
rig type to Kenwood TS-2000 and a com port.   Flex is aware of this.
It is a problem with the puclic open-source HamLib software that gets 
built into WSJT-X.

Use the Kenwood TS-2000 setting, then no issues.

Neal
Photo of Al K0VM

Al K0VM, Elmer

• 606 Posts
  • 102 Reply Likes
Neal,
  The WSJT/Flex hamlib problem has been fixed and is incorporated in WSJT-X V 2.0.1.
AL, K0VM
Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 397 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
However, the fix does not seem to be in the latest JS8Call :-(
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2308 Posts
  • 945 Reply Likes
There are a few things I have noticed that  will cause WSJT-X to stop decoding:

1. DAX stream is corrupted. Basically if you listen to the audio it is stuttering or distorted. This is a known issue I believe. Restart DAX app and it will come back. 

2. Your PC doesn't have enough horsepower to run DAX and whatever else you're running. I have seen one case where when the person started up Teamviewer that DAX started to stutter. Teamviewer is very expensive with CPU. DAX is very sensitive to CPU usage.

3. Bandwidth and default filter for DIGU. Somehow for some reason Flex decided that the default filter for DIGU should be set to 1kHz centered on the channel. This doesn't work well with nearly all digital modes and with WSJT-X you will miss decodes. Set your bandwidth to 3kHz. 

In cases 1 and 2 you will still see the signals on the waterfall. In case 3 you will see them in narrow bandwidth.

Ria
(Edited)

Neal Pollack, N6YFM

• 215 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
Ria:

With a large number of FT-8 users starting to spread out wider than 2,000 hz
for FT-8 usage, I regularly will see someone up at 3,000 or even 3,500 hz on
the waterfall.    I set the DIGI-U receive bandwidth to 4K for FT-8, and that way
the waterfall spectrum scope is flat and I can receive all players all the time.

Cheers,

Neal
Photo of Bob Gerzoff, WK2Y

Bob Gerzoff, WK2Y

• 195 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
More a work around than a real solution, I have been running JTDX and it runs all day with no issues.   Seems to decode more signals per pass the WSJT-X. There is also a JTDX Alert to go with it.
73, Bob
WK2Y 
Photo of K4MT

K4MT

• 37 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Your not running PSKreporter web site?  I have had a problem with PSKreporter website by some unknown reason stopping the WSJT decode. It happens almost immediately when I run that site. I found by turning off the grey line overlay the problem goes away.

Before you say it I have  a fast computer with lots of resources and when this problem is happening  I have low CPU and Mem use.

This seems to happen most when using Chrome browser.  Not saying this is your problem but thought I would bring it up.
Photo of bahillen

bahillen

• 122 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
I am having the same problem with my new 6600, WSJT-X, JTAlertX with one instance of WSJT-X. The more programs that are running the worse it gets. After reading the above discussion I was decoding on 20m missing a 15 segment once in a while. When I closed chrome it stopped dead in its tracks. I monitor the CPU and see that the CPU jumps significantly when starting up Chrome or doing some things. WSJT-X does not like it when the CPU hits 100% even for a short time in the cycle. My computer is a Dell Laptop (old) I5 3210M 2 core 4 virtual CPUs with turbo boost. Often it just stops decoding and even closing and reopening WSJT-X doesn't restart, sometimes after restart is decodes a couple cycle and stops completely. 

I did stop and restart DAX and it came back to life even though the audio streamin and the WSJT-X waterfall continued to show normal audio. The audio levels on DAX and WSJT-X waterfall don't change. Looking at new computer but that won't help the DAX what ever is going on there. The decode is either all there or nothing.

Your post and replies from others has given me a good insight to what is happening. Great help.

73 Bill W9JJB

Neal Pollack, N6YFM

• 211 Posts
  • 102 Reply Likes
Bill:

That Dell model would qualify as a Historical Museum Artifact.
Please ask Santa for any brand/model Costco or BestBuy special
that has a 2019  Core I5 or Core i7, with 16 GB of RAM memory.
You will be able to have ALL your programs open, as well as 35 tabs
in Chrome and the same in Firefox, across 3 display monitors, and the
CPU will simply laugh and ask if that's all ya' got to throw at it :-)

Cheers,

Neal
Photo of Sam

Sam

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

I was trying to run wsjt with a "netbook". 1.6gzh atom chip with 2gig ram and it would not decode. Maybe got 10 decodes in an hour. Tried another and it did the same. Put on a real laptop i3 and 8g ram and it took right off.

Sam kf6vik

Neal Pollack, N6YFM

• 215 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
Sam, really? :-)
A NetBook and/or Atom chip make a nice dog treat dipped in gravy,
but is utterly useless for 90% of modern computing tasks.

Cheers,

Neal
Photo of Art, N4PT

Art, N4PT

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Sounds like a clock issue. I have tried a number of the clock setting programs and finally settled on BitTimeSync by IZ2BKT easy to use and works fine. Tried Meinberg but it seemed a bit complex and overkill. 
(Edited)
Photo of Rick - W5FCX

Rick - W5FCX

• 260 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
For me it was time sync issue. Just right click on the Windows clock and configure its Internet time to sync with NIST NTP time source and all is good!
Photo of Greg - N8GD

Greg - N8GD

• 229 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
That works for the moment, but, by default, Windows Time updates once weekly. The hardware clock in your PC will be far too inaccurate before the next weekly update. You either need to modify your registry to update Windows Time more often or install a time updater like Meinberg or Dimension4.
Photo of Rick - W5FCX

Rick - W5FCX

• 260 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Great point.  Thanks for that tip, Greg.  Oh the joys of Regedit... haven't used that one in a while.  Found this article helpful and set the sync interval to one day (86400 seconds):

https://www.wikihow.com/Change-the-Time-Synchronization-Interval-in-Windows

(I used CurrentControlSet instead of ControlSet001 which I believe is a prior version.

Thanks  again!
Rick
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9178 Posts
  • 3525 Reply Likes
Also, Windows does not use NTP, but SNTP.  The differences can significant depending on the intended use.  NTP reaches a very high level of accuracy and avoids abrupt timesteps as much as possible by using different mathematical and statistical methods and smooth clock speed adjustments, SNTP can only be recommended for simple applications, where the requirements for accuracy and reliability are not too demanding.

I use Meinberg because it is a true NTP client based on the UNIX implementation of NTP.
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2306 Posts
  • 941 Reply Likes
I agree fully with Tim.  Think of it like a car that pulls slightly to one side. You can either jerk it back every 2-3 minutes or apply constant pressure to keep it steadily tracking along the center. Which one is better? NTP is the latter, not the former. Windows and Dimension 4 are SNTP. I only recommend D4 as a last resort when Meinberg can't be installed. 
(Edited)
Photo of Rick - W5FCX

Rick - W5FCX

• 260 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind if FT8 ends up back in the ditch :)
Photo of Greg - N8GD

Greg - N8GD

• 229 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
Rick,

If you're going to go the registry route with Windows Time client, I would suggest that you set the update interval to one hour, or 3600 seconds.  The PC's hardware clock can drift more than 2 seconds in 24 hours, and anything beyond 2 seconds will be problematic.  That was the error limit on JT9, but I'm sure FT8 requires even tighter accuracy (probably something around 500 msecs or less) since it does everything in 1/4 the time of the older versions.  Really, as others have mentioned, Meinberg is your best bet!
Photo of Rick - W5FCX

Rick - W5FCX

• 260 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Excellent suggestion, Greg.  I changed it to 3600 seconds.

I tried Meinburg but there was some COM port conflict and it just seemed easier to leverage the built-in Windows time client, which should suffice now with the more frequent updates.

Thanks!
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9178 Posts
  • 3525 Reply Likes
You loaded the wrong code because Meinburg does not use a serial port.
https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm#ntp_stable

Load the monitor too
https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp-server-monitor.htm
Photo of Rick - W5FCX

Rick - W5FCX

• 260 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Thanks Tim. That worked.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9178 Posts
  • 3525 Reply Likes
Glad to be of assistance.

Now my second bit of NTP wisdom...

Use at least 4 NTP servers and use the pool servers in your region that randomly select stratum 1 and 2 public time servers.

I use:

0.us.pool.ntp.org
1.us.pool.ntp.org
2.us.pool.ntp.org
3.us.pool.ntp.org
Photo of Joe - KB6IGK

Joe - KB6IGK

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Same issue with 6600...Win 10. Noticed a Win10 update occurred yesterday. 

Updated Meinberg
Added a 4th NTP server per Tim's suggestion
Tried Ria's 3 tips
...still no decode.

Other suggestions?
Photo of Joe - KB6IGK

Joe - KB6IGK

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Okay. After trying various of the fixes posted above, including the Hamlib-modified version of WSJT-X by David Decoons (which worked perfectly for months),  the only solution that works now is selecting "TS-460" in the radio config. Problem resolved.
Photo of tchays

tchays

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
thanks!   if the green division lines in the waterfall do not lie between the message bursts... you're going to have a bad time. :)
Photo of Tim O'Hara

Tim O'Hara

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I just started having the no decode issue with WSJT-X.  I tried BitTimeSync instead of Dimension 4 for time syncing and didn't find much difference. Timing doesn't appear to be the main issue. I loaded JTDX and the decodes started right up.  Not sure why.  I was only able to decode one very clean signal with WSJT-X.  I then started JTDX and the decodes came flooding in.  Not sure what this group did but wow it really works. 
Photo of Bob Craig, K8RC

Bob Craig, K8RC

• 238 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
Are you running WSJT-X version 2.0? 

Version 1.9 & prior will not decode v2.0 signals. 

VAST majority of FT8 signals are V2 since December, 2018.

Also note this thread is a whole year old.

Bob

Photo of Roger,  W6VZV

Roger, W6VZV

• 243 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
I am also having the "no decode" issue with WSJT-X v 2.0.  Never had this problem until the update.  My DAX is working fine with all other programs and functions.  I have synched my clock, and also before it stops working I have no problem making QSOs.  Re-booting seems to solve the problem (temporarily).  I am convinced that it is a WSJT-X 2.0 problem, not a DAX problem.  de W6VZV
(Edited)
Photo of Pat - WH6HI

Pat - WH6HI

• 339 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Ok, I am not saying this is your problem. But one of the pain in the but issues with pc’s is the Registry. A clean Registry is a must for stable PC operation. In the time that I instituted in maintaining a clean Registry, I have had no problems with any programs. I use “Clean my PC”. Which does a great job of keeping the Registry running correctly. Reason for this is that the Registry keeps all the system related info of the apps you use. If there is old or corrupted data in the Registry it can bugger things up. Hope this helps, but it is a good policy to follow even if it is not the reason for your problem. For me it cleaned up com port problems, as well as some app issues. My PC operation is now very solid. Good luck.....
Photo of Roger,  W6VZV

Roger, W6VZV

• 243 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
I did some experimenting last night once I understood that my WSJT-X problem was the decoding freeze.  It appears that if I start WSJT-X after a fresh reboot, no problem (so far).  I'm guessing it is some kind of memory issue.  Less certainly, putting WSJT-X on the "CQ Only" setting seems to be a precondition for the bug, so for now I have stopped doing that.  de Roger W6VZV
(Edited)
Photo of Neil D Friedman N3DF

Neil D Friedman N3DF

• 194 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
So with WSJT set for "CQ Only," you are not seeing any "CQs"?
Photo of Roger,  W6VZV

Roger, W6VZV

• 243 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
I will see the CQs until it stops decoding.  Then no more new CQs.
Photo of Arvind Mallya

Arvind Mallya

• 83 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Same issue here, I see no new QSO maybe an occasional one but I can't connect. I do see sometimes QSO completed by others.
(Edited)
Photo of Roger,  W6VZV

Roger, W6VZV

• 243 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
By my experience this week it appears that on a fast computer with lots of memory (I use a water-cooled gaming computer) WSJT-X will not freeze its decoding so long as you reboot periodically.  There may be a memory leak in WSJT software (or it may be something else).  I can find no DAX or SDR issues.  de Roger W6VZV
Photo of Al K0VM

Al K0VM, Elmer

• 606 Posts
  • 102 Reply Likes
Roger,
     This may be a long shot...
     If your using the FlexRadio 6xxx CAT interface, then try Kenwood TS-480 instead.  The FlexRadio 6xxx CAT has a bug in the WSJT-X hamlib that could be a part of the problem your having.. But if it is, you seem to have an extreme case.  

AL, K0VM
Photo of Roger,  W6VZV

Roger, W6VZV

• 243 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
I am having no problems with my Flex 6400M now that I understand the problem.  I can go many days at a time and the problem resolves by re-booting maybe once per week.  I also don't think that this is related to the CAT interface as PTT and waterfall display are unaffected by the problem; only decoding freezes.  But I've got it under control by the foregoing.   Don't want to go back to a legacy radio!  de Roger W6VZV
(Edited)
Photo of Geoff - AB6BT

Geoff - AB6BT

• 115 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I think Al was suggesting that you choose the Kenwood under the WSJT-X radio setup tab.
Photo of Roger,  W6VZV

Roger, W6VZV

• 243 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
Oh, guess I took my stupid pill this morning.  Well, I'll keep that in mind but I think I've got the problem resolved.  de Roger W6VZV.
Photo of Geoff - AB6BT

Geoff - AB6BT

• 115 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
No worries...I have had better results using the Kenwood TS-2000 (I think, I'm not near the radio) choice. I tried the Flex option and it seemed to work and then it didn't. 

It's unclear what's up with that but it has been mentioned on the forum previously.

Geoff 
Photo of Arvind Mallya

Arvind Mallya

• 83 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Geoff, I tried that Slice Master picks its own radio and port
Photo of Dave

Dave

• 47 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I’ve had great luck with 6400 and ft8. Make sure noise reduction off. Be sure computer clock is synced
Photo of Arvind Mallya

Arvind Mallya

• 83 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Roger J. Buffington, I never had the problem with the older WSJTX software and my Flex 6600 radio but after I upgraded it to 2.0 I have far fewer decodes I can see that traffic on the waterfall and so also on the Flex Spectral display. But no decodes. Someone suggested Slice Master which I downloaded and it is up. The problem is intermittent, it decodes sometimes and then nothing. My PC is a NUC running Win 10 and one more PC a Panasonic Toughpad running Windows 7 both seem to have the same issue and both are dedicated for the Flex 6600 radio. I have 20 meter voice QSOs no problem the same time when I have no decodes on FT8.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3634 Posts
  • 875 Reply Likes
I think it still may be a time problem even though you think it's ok...What I have had to do is hold my smart phone up in front of the computer screen then open the set time window on the computer. You can pause the time then un pause it right when the time on the phone changes. I find being out 1 or 2 seconds is all is needed to cause trouble with decoding.
Photo of Arvind Mallya

Arvind Mallya

• 83 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Roger, Here is how I'm now able to decode, the clock could be one of the problems and so also the Mic levels as some of the people have suggested here and other forums. There are a few option for Windows UTC clocks and also clock sync , I picked the NIST clock and watched the Clock display and the FT-8 display which matched. I wish there was a way to sync with the Flex Radio GPS clock, that will be very accurate and far less drift in my view. I also updated WSJTX software with bug fixes to V2.0.1
(Edited)
Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 397 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
I use an external GPSDO which has a 10MHz output for the radios, and a 1PPS and RS232 NMEA output for computer clock synchronization. This one external device does it all for me - disciplines the VFO and sets the computer clock (and provides a local NTP server for other local computers when there is no Internet - i.e. Field Day and other remote operations).
Photo of Chris Coles

Chris Coles

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
yes, the WSJT-X 2.01 forces my FTDX3000 into Data USB mode. This does not work. So I have to disconnect the radio from CAT control to make it work correctly :-( I hope this is fixed in a future release.
Photo of Chris Coles

Chris Coles

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
OMG. There is a setting under the CAT Control. This needs to be set to USB, not DATA Pkt! Now it works.
(Edited)
Photo of Arvind Mallya

Arvind Mallya

• 83 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
It is DAX I have to reboot sometimes to get it to work, but lately I have had no issues. I make contacts, sometimes it does not work and there could be many factors, remote receiver, propagation and timing