Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WSJT-X No RF Output on Flex 6500

David Ahrendts
David Ahrendts Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
WSJT-X 1.7.0 was up and working JT65 well on 20M and 40M on my Flex 6500 running SDR 1.9.13.173, Windows 10 Pro. Now, NO RF POWER.

WSJT-X shows CAT connected OK (green button) and in Settings, "Test Cat" responds green. "PTT" also keys the Flex MOX OK. However, invoking a TUNE from WSJT-X keys the Flex into Xmit, produces a single tone which I hear from the MON and see on the Flex Level bar meter, but it produces no RF output, and in normal operation, no RF output even though the program is producing the tones. DAX control panel shows TX streaming OK, and RX OK, and clearly the audio is getting to the Flex. 

Invoking a TUNE on the Flex is normal as ever with RF output. FLDIGI operates normally with CAT control and produces RF output. 

Uninstalled WSJT-X and re-installed it. Did not solve the problem. The only thing that has occurred that might have upset things was a Windows security update mid-week. 

David A., KK6DA, Los Angeles

Comments

• Marty VK2VCC
    Marty VK2VCC Member
    edited August 2017
    This may be silly reply to the obvious..but is the power slider in Wsjt up..(max)
  • David Ahrendts
    David Ahrendts Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Marty, slider is up 100%, and I then bring the DAX TX gain down to about to about 27 so audio is not over-driven. What's so odd is that WSJT-X keys the transmitter, produces audio which I can visually see and hear, yet there is no RF output using WSJt-X. Crazy odd.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    This may also be a silly reply to the obvious..but is the DAX button Selected/Lit Blue on the P/CW panel?

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I have had this happen and I either shut down DAX and restart it - or I found I could just unclick the DAX TX to unselect it, (blue TX button goes to gray) then select it again.

I still find DAX to be a bit unstable at times - but it has gotten much better from several versions ago.

Cheers

• David Ahrendts
    David Ahrendts Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Jay, yes. P/CW is light blue, selected. So: the program keys the Flex, audio is produced by the program and the Flex sees the audio and it moves the audio level meter, but no RF out.
  • Marty VK2VCC
    Marty VK2VCC Member
    edited August 2017
    I use a flex 3000.. related to that issue my vac sometimes plays up. Same principle. A restart fixes it. A glitch! Generally mid cycle of a wsjt qso.. my tx turn and nothing!
  • David Ahrendts
    David Ahrendts Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Walt, shut down DAX and restarted, and unchecked and clicked again. No dice. What's maddening is that DAX is doing it's job in connecting WSJT-X audio to the Flex -- I see it, the Level Meter moves, and with MON on, I hear it. But no RF output.
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Check your LOW and HIGH frequency settings. Should be 0-4000 for JT65/9. That's the Transmit Profile setting
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    TX Filter in range?  Also check Mode is DIGU, Slice has TX flag, and Slice has input set to DAX.  Does the DAX TX channel show a signal in the channel?
  • David Ahrendts
    David Ahrendts Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Dave, TX Filter is a thought. I do manipulate that for ESSB or not. DIGU is selected, Sliced has TX flag, and yes, DAX does show signal as does the level bar meter.
  • David Ahrendts
    David Ahrendts Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
  • David Ahrendts
    David Ahrendts Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    FOR EVERYONE: issue resolved. Everything appeared to be OK with WSJT-X but there was no RF out. Audio got to the Flex OK. You could see it and hear it by MON. But no RF. I had the Low Cut and High Cut filters set too narrow for JT65. Solution: make sure the transmit filters are set to 0 and 4000 for JT65. Not a DAX issue a CAT issue, and operator issue! Most of them are. Thank you Bill Barrett!
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Glad you are back on the air. Profiles help circumvent these problems.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Glad to have this reminder to go and verify the TX bandwith settings in all my Digital App profiles. image

Now they're setup a little better.image

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    David.  To prevent this from happening again.....If you haven't already, I would recommend you create and save a Mic Profile for WSJT with all your settings.  Then after the first time you use it for DigU, the rig will remember it...(unless you have used another profile with DigU).  It will make it easier the next time you switch from SSB to Digi modes.

I also have another Mic Profile fI use for RTTY....

Ken - NM9P
  • Marty VK2VCC
    Marty VK2VCC Member
    edited January 2017
    ? Bill Barrett. If his cuts were 50-2800 why wouldnt there be any tx? I run a cut upto only 2500 (for jt65 ops) considering jt65 runs upto 2400 then technically goes to jt9 above 2400 - right?? I know you could run jt possibly anywhere xx.076Mhz (potentially at 4000hz , but isnt it common practice on above specs i mention.
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Hi Marty- JT9 is 2500 and up and I was mystified as well but perhaps when he was having the problem the cuts were some other value or trying to do JT9 above 2800. JT9 should be run from 2500 - 4000. Most JT9 activity now is between 2500-3000. In the waterfall there is a value for starting decoding of JT9. Joe has said not to move the cut over below 2500 as JT65 signals confuse the JT9 decoder.
  • Marty VK2VCC
    Marty VK2VCC Member
    edited January 2017
    Makes sense ..values mustnt have been from 0. Definately out of range in profile.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.