WSJT-X, MacloggerDX, DogparkSDR, Loopback Help Request

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
I've been successful using WSJT on my 6400 from Windows, but really want to get it going on my Mac.

I've followed the instructions on the MacloggerDX page, and I'm successfully decoding FT8.

However, I haven't been able to see evidence that any station has heard my transmission.

Can anyone please help me confirm a few things, starting with these Loopback settings?

Thank you for any help!  

Photo of doghausdev

doghausdev

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of doghausdev

doghausdev

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I should add my WSJT-audio settings - is this right?

Photo of Michael N3LI

Michael N3LI

• 91 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
It's correct as far as I can tell, but it's a guess - I use Boom on my Mac. Do you see anything on the DogPark meter panel that suggests you are getting audio out?
Photo of doghausdev

doghausdev

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
When WSJT is in TX mode, DogParkSDR looks like this, with the LED next to radio name flashing in red.

TX DAX is on.  I notice during transmit that the bar above is yellow, and goes up to 38 dbm or so.  I have turned down XDax TX gain to about 25.
(Edited)
Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 752 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
you don't need 3 sources you only need one, XDAX. Make loopback your input and output and your good to go.
Photo of K3DCW

K3DCW

• 91 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
Some things to keep in mind: xDax doesn't work with any version of firmware above 2.4.9, so if you're using v3 or v2.5.1, you're out of luck with xDax for the time being.

Also, you don't NEED to use xDax for WSJT-X.  See Don's guide on running WXJT-X and DP SDR without DAX: https://www.dogparksoftware.com/dogparkSDR_Help/dpsdr_wsjt-x_no_xdax.html

Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 433 Posts
  • 149 Reply Likes
But you do still need Loopback or a corresponding program-to-program audio facility.

I really appreciate Don’s providing that facility in dogPark, but since I don’t normally run dpSDR (I use my M front panel), I just stay on v2 and use xDax/xCat :-)
Photo of K3DCW

K3DCW

• 91 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
Yes, of course you still need Loopback or something similar. However, in the OP's setup, which IS using dpSDR, he doesn't need xDax.

Everyone has their own operating habits and preferences. Don has done some great stuff. It is nice to have options, is it not?
Photo of doghausdev

doghausdev

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
In that web page, Loopback appears as an entity in Midi Setup.   Although I have Loopback installed, no Loopback device appears in Midi Setup.

What steps should I take to make it?
Photo of K3DCW

K3DCW

• 91 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
Which version of Loopback are you using? Did you do the audio component install during the Loopback setup? v2 (registered) shows up here just fine in the Audio MIDI Settings with problem, using just the default Loopback install. 

However, you likely don't need it to show up there to get this to work.   Simply setup WSJT-X and dpSDR as illustrated in Don's instructions and you should be good to go. 
Photo of doghausdev

doghausdev

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I should say I'm on v2.4.9
Photo of Jean-Luc / F5JRC

Jean-Luc / F5JRC

• 63 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
xCat is broken with 2.5.1 but works very well with 2.4.9
WSJT and Fldigi + Loopback 2.0.1 (registered version) + DogparkSDR + MacLogger + Mojave no issues at all!
https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/best-mac-osx-wsjt-x-configurations
In this configuration no need for xDax (thanks Don!)
73's