WSJT-X Flex 6400 / 6600

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
I have been trying to get WSJT-X to work with my 6400 using the TCP/IP socket.   I kept getting a Hamlib protocol error.  I posted the question to the WSJT-X forum and was advised that the current GA release 1.8.0 does not support the 6400/6600 radios yet.   It will be in a forthcoming release.   I am just posting this so anyone else who may be trying to go this route will know be aware.

Mike, W8MLS  
Photo of Mike, W8BE

Mike, W8BE

• 169 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Cal Spreitzer

Cal Spreitzer

• 425 Posts
  • 98 Reply Likes
Mike,

There is a previous thread on this issue and a work around which has come from a few of the Flex Alpha testers.  Check it out,  I believe there is a link to a version of WSJT-x that will work with the 6400/6600 radios.   Hopefully the link will still work . 

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/i-am-trying-to-get-my-new-6600-working-with-wsjt-x-...

Cal/N3CAL
(Edited)
Photo of Alan KB5CUS

Alan KB5CUS

• 30 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Yepper...  loaded New ver from the link Dave posted & works great..  no prob...
Photo of Mark Wohlschlegel

Mark Wohlschlegel

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
What is the "new" version called is it 1.8.0.??????
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1342 Posts
  • 284 Reply Likes
No. On the WSJT-X page you need to scroll down. I believe current version is 1.90 rc3
Photo of Mark Wohlschlegel

Mark Wohlschlegel

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
My question is simple--does this version allow FT-8 to work on a Flex 6400?  
Photo of Lou Dietrich

Lou Dietrich

• 75 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
or you can use the Kenwood TS480 file.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3539 Reply Likes
The current version of Hamlib in WSJT-X is not compatible with the new radios.
You will need a patched version from Dave, wo2x at the link Cal listed above.
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2310 Posts
  • 949 Reply Likes
In the meantime you can also try another kenwood model. I believe TS480 works instead of TS2000.
Photo of Mike, W8BE

Mike, W8BE

• 169 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Thanks...I got it working using the DX Labs Commander interface but I wanted to go native.  I just downloaded the patched program and it works right out of the gate.  Only question I have is in the past I could just click on the band and it would set the vfo for me.  Now I have to move the vfo but it certainly works.

• 1330 Posts
  • 282 Reply Likes
Mike, In WSJT-X hit F2 to bring up settings. Go to the Frequencies tab. If your frequencies are blank or incomplete you can right click in the upper window of the frequencies tab and select reset. You should now see band choices to the left of the frequency display in WSJT-X. Use that pulldown to select the band you want to use and the radio should QSY.

One pet peeve I have is WSJT-X sets the default bandwidth at 1kHz to 2 kHz and with the crowded WSJT-X bands you are missing a lot of decodes. I manually set mine for 100 to 2500. I am trying to see if something can be done with the WSJT-X source code to address this.

WSJT-X 1.9.0 is nearing beta test stage and the release of WSJT-X should include the updated Hamlib library to support the new Flex radios.

Dave wo2x

• 1351 Posts
  • 289 Reply Likes
Official Response
1.8.0 rc3 does natively support the 6400 and 6600 with the setup instructions I provided.

Alternately you can use the modified 1.8.0 version I poat d a link to.

Personally I am using 1.0.9 rc3 with my 6600.
Photo of Matt NQ6N

Matt NQ6N

• 109 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Is there any benefit to using WSJT-X set to the Flex 6000 series radio vs the Kenwood TS-2000 setting?  Seems like for basic CAT and PTT there is no difference in the performance or capabilities. 
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2309 Posts
  • 947 Reply Likes
I was told there was a slightly greater lag with VSP versus TCP. It has never made a difference to me though. There is also the issue of saving a VSP but again, there are so many, is it an issue?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.