WSJT-X DAX audio settings

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
Just reading the user guide for WSJT-X 2.0. It says: "Audio input and output devices configured for sample rate 48000 Hz, 16 bits". Does this mean that DAX Audio TX & DAX Audio RX 1 should be set to 48000 Hz , 16 bits? Default is 24 bits.

Kent
N6WT
Photo of Kent Olsen

Kent Olsen

• 93 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of K8AC

K8AC

• 48 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi Kent.  I'm running my 6500/Maestro with WSJT-X 2.0, but haven't read the entire user's guide yet.  Everything works just fine.  DAX was new to me a couple of days ago, and I'm unable to find anyplace in DAX where it mentions the sampling rate and bit width, but haven't read that manual either.  In WSJT-X V2.0 configuration, I can find no mention of the sampling rate - you just choose the DAX streams you want to connect to by name.  So, whatever the sampling rate may be, it works just fine.  I haven't made any changes to DAX since moving from V1.9 of WSJT yesterday.
Photo of Kent Olsen

Kent Olsen

• 93 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Floyd

Yes it seems to work fine but I am wondering if it would be better to change the setting to what the WSJT-X user guide suggests.

To change the settings right click on the speaker in the lower right. choose Sounds. then click on the Sounds or Playback tabs. If you double click on DAX Audio TX or DAX Audio RX 1 then click on the Advanced tab you can change the settings.

Kent
N6WT
Photo of bahillen

bahillen

• 109 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
Flex recommender 2 channel 16 bit 48,000 speed. 24 bit sends BITs that are zeros above the 16 bits used. Why waste the unused bandwidth.

Of course the DAX RESERVED IQ panadapter is set for 192,000 Hz. That may be reduced if bandwidth is an issue but not sure about that.

Bill W9JJB
Photo of K8AC

K8AC

• 48 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I was just reading a bit about the practical effects of bit depth and it seems that bit depth primarily affects the dynamic range.  Someone has probably determined that 16 bit depth provides adequate dynamic range for the audio involved here.  At any rate, I've changed the bit depth from 16 to 24 with no discernible difference in receive on WSJT.  I'd guess that the higher bit depth might increase the CPU load slightly, but maybe not.  It would be nice to have a more in depth explanation on some of these things from Flex and/or the WSJT folks.