Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WSJT-x Audio Input doesn't offer Dax Audio Rx 1 (or Rx2, Rx 3, Rx4) choices, so no WSJT RX

Doug Allen
Doug Allen Member ✭✭
edited September 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
My Smart SDR v2.5.1 and Flex 6500 are set up according to the "Working With WSJTx Set-up by Michael Walker and were was working OK.  Last night Dell or Microsoft uploaded an upgrade and I had to restart my computer this morning.  When I did, I my WSJTx 2.0 was no longer receiving and WSJT Settings/Sound was a blank screen.  I deleted WSJTx 2.0 and downloaded WSJTx v 2.1.  Now WSJTx will transmit ( DAX Audio TX is selected for OUTPUT), but
I have very few, only 10 in all AUDIO INPUT choices, and no DAX Audio Rx1, Rx2, Rx3,or Rx 4 so I can't select Audio Rx1 so that WSJTx receives signal from the radio.  
Any ideas?  I've done all the normal things such as rebooting, dowinloading the older version of WSJT-x and tinkered with computer sound and the sound control panel for many hours without any success.  My 6500 Profiles no longer work. Would sure appreciate any help.
Doug K4LY

Answers

• Doug Allen
    Doug Allen Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I haven't heard from anyone about my inability to get three different WSJT versions I've tried to show Rx 1 (or Rx 2, Rx 3, and Rx 4) as WSJT Audio INPUT options.  Rx 5, Rx 6, Rx 7, and Rx 8 options are available,but don't work with a 6500.  Perversely, the WSJT OUTPUT which requires DAX Audio TX, does have Rx 1, Rx 2, Rx 3, and Rx 4 as options.

Today I'll delete my Power SDR v2.5.1 and either download it  again or another version and see what happens.  I have 4 8 hours before the VHF contests begins and had my transverters working with the Flex 6500 before the trouble started.  
    Doug K4LY
  • Doug Allen
    Doug Allen Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I did the complete uninstall following directions from the Flex radio Tim Ellison URL- https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204975589-How-to-do-a-Complete-uninstall-of-SmartSDR-for-Windows-from-your-PC    Therre is a strange parameter required to get it to work which I'll mention later after I investigate more.  
  • Holger Hannemann
    Holger Hannemann Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Hi Doug
    It sounds to me like the typical DAX audio driver renaming trouble after a Windows update like many of us had before. I only managed to solve it last night for myself after I run the 1903 update earlier this week.

The problem is that Windows renamed some of the DAX files wrongly which means they won't be found and applications won't work.
    Please spend some time reading this thread and follow the instructions
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/most-common-fix-for-dax-driver-errors-in-windows-spring-update-1803-you-can-do-this

The problem for me was to identify which ones are wrongly named. You need to start at Control Panel/Sound (to be able to edit the name) and go into the properties. Here you click on the "Level" and you'll see the correct / old file name on this card.

Now rename the file the way as shown in the "Level" card and save it. Once you've done this check/renaming you'll need to restart the computer again.

I had to change 4-5 file names. Most if not all were files with IQ in the name.

73 Holger
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited September 2019
    Doug, if you open a support ticket, we can take care of it for you.  Unfortunately, it is a random collection of things.  

Even I don't follow it all!  :)  I leave it for the expert.

Mike

• Dawg Fan
    Dawg Fan Member
    edited September 2019
    Microsoft should have to pay for all the man-hours lost to industry, military and hobby around the world.....its no small number for man-hours wasted...absolutely unbelievable that they don't give one **** about their sorry product.  I spent hours fixing this mess after the last update.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited September 2019
    Hi... if we all called and voiced our frustrations... ..

I have had them mess me up twice, once resulted in 800,000 photos disappearing.  

I got them back, but it was a few hours of work (yes, I had a backup).  But, I also kept one of their support people on the phone for an hour.  

He said all the right stuff, but you could tell he was frustrated too.

Mike 
  • Dawg Fan
    Dawg Fan Member
    edited September 2019
    need a major corporation or Federal Govt to sue them for hours lost...better yet a class action law suit...it is no small amount of cost involved.  I fear they would just **** us off.   I have seen days of downtime at my job.
  • Doug Allen
    Doug Allen Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Thank you Holger.  Yes, my DAX drivers have been messed up, but after an hour of experimenting I have things working.  I need to use the mislabeled" DAX Audio RX2 (Flex Radio Systems DAX IQ)" instead of "DAX Audio RX 1 (Flex Systems DAX Audio)" setting for WSJT INPUT, so right now with things working I won't try renaming the files as I'm tired of messing with it all and want to operate the VHF contest tomorrow.  
    Thanks to everyone who replied and helped, and guess we are all frustrated with Microsoft updates that mess everything up! 
  • Doug Allen
    Doug Allen Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I recently did a complete uninstall for the third time and then reinstalled Smart SDR, this time v.2.6.0.  Finally my Audio inputs and outputs match the correct ones on the "Most Common Fix for DAX Driver errors in Windows Spring Update (1803) (You can do this!)."  Hooray!   I did!  After the SmartSDR install, the inoperative FlexVSP driver was inoperative, but with Tim's Flex page fixing it, FlexVSP began operating.  Hooray!  And thanks!

ANYONE ELSE USING A MONITOR SENSORS 630M TRANSVERTOR?
    My Flex 6500 is working on SSB, CW, and digital with WSJT.
    However, I have a unique transverter problem that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere.  I'm using the Flex 6500 on 630M (0.474200 mHz) with a Monitor Sensors transverter- 1.804200 mHz in to the transverter at 5 watts and 0.474299 mHz out at 60 watts.  It works FB with WSJTx (1.33000 offset). 

Nevertheless, the TX antenna is not all that good on receive, and I want to use my Wellbrook amplfied loop antenna for 0.474200 receive. The loop works very well.  I can configure SmartSDR for receive on RxA input from the loop by using a second slice, 0.474200 for receive and then 1.804200 TX.  This works fine for receiving with the loop, and it works on transmit, but the signal is awful, extending over 10 kHz with multiple audio peaks instead of the very narrow single audio peak which is the WSPR or JT9 signal.  I've tried many of the possible audio drive adjustments, but none correct my wide signal, muliple WSPR and JT9 signals that have been decoded on over 20 different WSJT frequencies in the 630M WSPR band by a station 25 miles away and on 4 different frequencies in New England.

Any ideas on how to configure the Flex, Monitor Sensors, and WSJTx to get a clean transmission?  Might the Slice Master ap help?   
    I sure appreciate all the good advice several of you have already offered and the helpful Flex web pages like the two I referred to above.
    Doug K4LY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.