Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WSJT-X and Flex not Playing Together

DonS
DonS Member ✭✭✭
edited March 2020 in Third-Party Software
I am running WSJT-X with the Flex 6700.  Just recently in fact starting yesterday when WSJT went into transmit mode I could tell the radio went into transmit but there was absolutely no output from the flex.  WSJT was setup to use TCP: Port 5002 (I am not using DDutil).  WSJT-X is v 1.9.1 and the flex is using v2.3.9.112.  This had been working without issue for three to fours months.  I found an article published by Steve, N5AC, and posted by Tim on July 16, 2018 "Configuring WSJT-X and SmartSDR for Windows".  The setup provided in this document sets up WSJT-X so Rig is set to Kenwood 2000 and Cat Control to Serial Port COM4 (maybe different depending on setup).  PTT Method to CAT. Data Bits set to Eight, Stop Bits and Handshake to default.  Mode None and split operation none.  This setup seems to be working without issue.  Are there some known or unknown issues with WSJT-X using the Rig set to Flexradio 6xxx in WSJT-X?

Don - kx9q

Answers

• Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Not that I know of, in fact, using FT8 mode now on 40 meters with the rig set to Flexradio 6XXX.
    I do use TCP port 5004.  
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Don, if you are seeing the radio go into transmit, then CAT has done its job and your problem is somewhere else. Are you sure that you have the DAX button enabled in SmartSDR? In the DAX control panel do you see deflection in the tx meter when you are transmitting?
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Also check your transmit audio passband. Sometimes it can be set too narrowly and cuts off your AFSK tones.

• Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Don, If you email me off line we can talk through it or I can dial in through team viewer.. As Neal stated make sure all is right with your Dax. Right sound cards selected in wsjt is necessary or it won’t work I’m good in QRZ if you need offline assistance Mike NN9DD
  • Randy
    Randy Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Every now and then mine has stopped.  I found that fore some reason it had jumped from DIGU to USB.
  • Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This may be too simplistic but is the slice your using set to the right antenna.

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Hi Neal

The DAX button is highlighted blue, however, When I get no output I notice that there is no streaming in the TX Stream even though it says it is transmitting.   It seams either something in the WJST-X software or something happening with the DAX.  I assume when you say TX meter you are referring to the TX Stream in the DAX panel.

Don
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Hi George

I usually keep the bandpass set to 3k or 5k, normally at 5k. 
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Hi Mke

I am thinking it could be DAX so the next time it occurs I will close out DAX and restart it.  I might just uninstall SSDR, DAX, and CAT  and do a fresh install.  I have had some issues with upgrades to Win 10 that results in ghost DAX entries which is unusual as it seems others get the ghost com ports but I haven't had that problem.  In fct I had some ghost DAX entries just before this started and I thought I cleaned them out and checking it shows they are gone but who knows.

Don
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Don, I usually terminate WSJT  AND Dax. Then restart Dax then WSJT and it comes back to life. Try it!
  • Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Plus one for that. I have had this same thing happen several times, usually after having everything running all day. Killing WSJT-X and DAX and restarting them usually does the trick for me. Sometimes WSJT doesn’t **** all the way and you have to use the task manager. Good luck! 73 Justin KL2D
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I will give that a try next time.

Don - kx9q
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I had the self-same issue a week or so ago with my 6700.  
    It transpired that it was (surprise surprise!) a Windows issue.  
    Although I was using DAX for my digital audio, the windows default audio had somehow changed and it was trying to use USB Audio.  
    I set Windows audio back to default settings (to use the in-built speaker and microphone) in control panel and it all burst into life!
    HTH!

David G4NRT
  • Alexander Kaldin  rw6ab
    edited January 2020
    У меня Flex-6500 этот вариант работает без проблем уже более 3 лет de rw6ab

У меня Flex-6500 этот вариант работает без проблем уже более 3 лет de rw6ab
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I just looked at the Sound settings and the defaults for Playback Windows is "Speakers/Headphones", however, for recording Windows is using "DAX MIC Audio" which I believe is incorrect though I am not sure what should be the correct Recording Device since everything else that could be the correct device is greyed out.

Don - kx9q
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    интересно.  Я думаю, это может быть проблема с окнами.  Использование программы перевода.

Don - kx9q
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Hi Don,

Here are some screenshots of my set up which
    works.

Make sure the proper dax channels are blue in
    the dax control panel. On the Smart SDR screen,
    make sure the dax channel selected is the same
    as in the dax control panel. This is for receiving.
    Over on the right, you can see I have the dax
    button enabled for transmit. Then look at my settings
    for WSJT X.
    Try that and see if it starts to work. I selected dax
    channel 2. Yours can be any channel as long as they
    match between Smart SDR and WSJT X. Make sure they
    are enabled indicating blue.

73, Jim N9VC

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Jim

My setup is just like yours except I am using DAX channel 1.  I am curious to see what you are showing in your Audio for Recording from the Sound  icon.

thanks Don - kx9q
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Here are my audio settings.

• Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I had the same thing...... shut down WSJT-X and turning DAX TX on and off worked.
  • N4AB
    N4AB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I find the same problem happening on my 6700. Sometimes it is fixed by just clicking the DAX TX button off and on (even if it is Blue (ON)). Other times I have to shut down DAX entirely and then restart it. Does not happen very often but it is still a PIA. But just having the 6700 to use makes the occasional minor problem acceptable. (Most of my problems are self generated anyway).

Al, N4AB.
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    The only difference was the playback.  I use the speakers so I can hear the sounds from the computer going the speaker.  I had just one instance today where I went into transmit mode without any output so I turned DAX off and back on and that seemed to get things back to normal.

Don - kx9q
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    When this happened to me it was on receive not working but otherwise similar.  Just reset my wi-fi router and it all was well again.
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I am hardwired so I don't use the wi-fi in the shack.

Don - kx9q

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.