Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WSJT-X Advantages of Setting up multiple instances each with unique panadapters and Slice?

Jerry NY2KW
Jerry NY2KW Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have read several posts that recommend setting up WSJT with a different configuration file for each band where each configuration has its own panadapter and unique slice?  What are the major advantages of this - seems a bit complex and not obvious whats to gain.  I have been using WSJT-X on my 6700 for a few months and changing bands seems a breeze using the band dropdown box in WSJT-X and my 6700 remains in DIGU with all the settings staying the same.  I must be missing something bigger but as a WSJT-X newbie it is not obvious.  Can anyone help explain?

Answers

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I guess if you're into watching lots of bands at the same time this might be useful, but then you'll have to have multiple instances of WSJT-X open and running at the same time as well, I'd think.  One band at a time is fine wtih me.  Now if I could only find a way to force it to call DIGI-U mode instead of USB I'd like that better.  l
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    One example benefit is visually seeing, at the end of the day. When people migrate from 20 to 40m.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Another use for me having a dual SCU radio you can run one antenna to once slice and another antenna to a second slice. I used this to monitor propagation as the antennas have different angles of radiation. So have two slices on the same band can net you different DX.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

I typically run two bands simultaneously on  my 6700 and may monitor up to 5 bands..  When running 2 bands, I have each on a different antenna... and can run alternating Q's at the same time.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I usually monitor 2 to 4 bands at the same time. I use JTAlert-X as well. This allows me to downsize the WSJT-X screens, keep the JTAlert-X windows at the bottom of the screen  and do other things on my computer while listening for an audio alert from JTAlert-X for needed states, zones and DXCC.

I usually watch a movie or listen to music while playing 3 minute chess games as JTAlert-X does the band monitoring for me. I like to multi task
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi Duane,  mine auto changes to DIGU I think what I did in 
    WSJT was to go to File, Settings, Radio,  then under MODE select up "Data/Pkt".
    YMMV
    73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thanks, Bret - I'll check on doing that.  Appreciate the assist!
  • jerry stern
    jerry stern Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I only have one antenna right now but would like to monitor WSJTX on 80m, 40 and 20 simultaneously,  Should I use 3 slices in same panadapter, each with its own DAX channel or should I use 3 separate panadapters?
  • Larry Benoit
    Larry Benoit Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi Jerry,

I was a little bored recently and launched two synchronized instances of WSJT-X in FT8 mode on my Flex 6600 to compare two antennas. 

One SCU was connected to a SteppIR elevated vertical (Slice B) and the other to a home-brew hex beam (Slice A) at 30 feet and 270 degree azimuth.  I configured both panadapters scales exactly the same and then synchronized decoding within a second (erase, decode) and when the RX cycle ended I grabbed a screen shot. Note that the first decoded call sign is same for each instance of WSJT-X. 

It was an interesting experiment, yielding mostly expected, but useful insight into the relative performance of the antennas. 

The screen shot below was extracted from a 43" 4K TCL HDTV, although I'm not sure it will enlarge to legible size. 

Larry KB1VFU

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.