WSJT-X Advantages of Setting up multiple instances each with unique panadapters and Slice?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
I have read several posts that recommend setting up WSJT with a different configuration file for each band where each configuration has its own panadapter and unique slice?  What are the major advantages of this - seems a bit complex and not obvious whats to gain.  I have been using WSJT-X on my 6700 for a few months and changing bands seems a breeze using the band dropdown box in WSJT-X and my 6700 remains in DIGU with all the settings staying the same.  I must be missing something bigger but as a WSJT-X newbie it is not obvious.  Can anyone help explain?

Photo of Jerry NY2KW

Jerry NY2KW

• 20 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Duane, AC5AA

Duane, AC5AA

• 416 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
I guess if you're into watching lots of bands at the same time this might be useful, but then you'll have to have multiple instances of WSJT-X open and running at the same time as well, I'd think.  One band at a time is fine wtih me.  Now if I could only find a way to force it to call DIGI-U mode instead of USB I'd like that better.  l
Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 629 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Hi Duane,  mine auto changes to DIGU I think what I did in 
WSJT was to go to File, Settings, Radio,  then under MODE select up "Data/Pkt".
YMMV
73's
Bret
WX7Y
Photo of Duane, AC5AA

Duane, AC5AA

• 416 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Thanks, Bret - I'll check on doing that.  Appreciate the assist!
Photo of Neal Pollack, N6YFM

Neal Pollack, N6YFM

• 178 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
One example benefit is visually seeing, at the end of the day. When people migrate from 20 to 40m.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1077 Posts
  • 226 Reply Likes
Another use for me having a dual SCU radio you can run one antenna to once slice and another antenna to a second slice. I used this to monitor propagation as the antennas have different angles of radiation. So have two slices on the same band can net you different DX.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3642 Posts
  • 1473 Reply Likes

I typically run two bands simultaneously on  my 6700 and may monitor up to 5 bands..  When running 2 bands, I have each on a different antenna... and can run alternating Q's at the same time.
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 320 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
I usually monitor 2 to 4 bands at the same time. I use JTAlert-X as well. This allows me to downsize the WSJT-X screens, keep the JTAlert-X windows at the bottom of the screen  and do other things on my computer while listening for an audio alert from JTAlert-X for needed states, zones and DXCC.

I usually watch a movie or listen to music while playing 3 minute chess games as JTAlert-X does the band monitoring for me. I like to multi task
(Edited)
Photo of jerry stern

jerry stern

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I only have one antenna right now but would like to monitor WSJTX on 80m, 40 and 20 simultaneously,  Should I use 3 slices in same panadapter, each with its own DAX channel or should I use 3 separate panadapters?
Photo of Larry Benoit

Larry Benoit

• 73 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Hi Jerry,

I was a little bored recently and launched two synchronized instances of WSJT-X in FT8 mode on my Flex 6600 to compare two antennas. 

One SCU was connected to a SteppIR elevated vertical (Slice B) and the other to a home-brew hex beam (Slice A) at 30 feet and 270 degree azimuth.  I configured both panadapters scales exactly the same and then synchronized decoding within a second (erase, decode) and when the RX cycle ended I grabbed a screen shot. Note that the first decoded call sign is same for each instance of WSJT-X. 

It was an interesting experiment, yielding mostly expected, but useful insight into the relative performance of the antennas. 

The screen shot below was extracted from a 43" 4K TCL HDTV, although I'm not sure it will enlarge to legible size. 

Larry KB1VFU