Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WSJT-X 1.9 Power drops off past 2500 Hz

Ed N5DG
Ed N5DG Member
I'm sure I have a setting wrong somewhere , Using Flex 6600 , ssdr V 2.3.9 , WSJT-X V 1.9.1 . I noticed today when moving the Red goal post past 2500 Hz in FT8 the TX power drops rapidly . Ay 2500 Hz and below I have power set to 80 watts ! If I move to 2550 Hz the power drops to 66 watts . Every 50 Hz higher the power drops more and more , at 2900 Hz is zero power . My RX BW is 5KHz and my TX mode is DIGU . The power slider to the far right in WSJT is up all the way .. I've tested this on 2 bands with same results ! I've used FT8 with the Flex for the past 4 months but don't remember if I've been above 2500 Hz in the past ... What am I missing here 
Thanks Ed N5DG

Answers

• John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    WSJT-X = File then settings then radio then FAKE IT. And you should be good to go. Change it to none on 60m.
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    You need to move your transmit bandwidth up to about 3.0 kHz upper cut-off, and probably 100 Hz on the low frequency side.

• Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

I set my DIGU BW to 0 - 3500
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I set mine at 100 to 3000 except for 60m. If I see possible signals above or below, I'll make adjustments. But it is very rare that I need to do so. I suspect this will change in the future as more folks get on FT8.
  • Ed N5DG
    Ed N5DG Member
    edited November 2018
    Thank you everyone , I had no idea that DIGU used the Mic Tx Filter . I am now set to 100 - 3000 
  • Dave Spencer
    Dave Spencer Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    As John says, make sure "fake it" is selected. This will keep the audio signal in the middle of the passband when you go into transmit. You will see the rig automatically adjust the frequency in smartsdr to keep it there.
  • Bob Kozlarek
    Bob Kozlarek Member
    edited June 2020
    So doesn't setting the radio to DIGU mode by pass the transmit bandwidth setting?
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    It bypasses the EQ settings, not the bandwidth limits.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Right. DigU/L bypasses TXEQ and PROC, But not bandwidth controls. It also lets you use a different RX filter slope, which lets you improve filter induced latency for faster response.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Btw, it usually isn’t necessary to use “fake-it” because there are no non linearities in the tx chain and filters, as there are in legacy/analog rigs with crystal filters. It is, however, helpful when using extremely wide splits, and some of the features in MSK144 like auto-QSY. Ken - NM9P
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    It's needed and does help. Simply try it and watch. Transmit at say 2950hz and watch your signal on SSDR along with the ALC meter, power out, etc. Now turn on fake it or split and you'll see the difference. There is a lot more to it than that but it is a nice visual representation.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.