WSJT software with Flex 6400M 6.6.18

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
One of the new NOOBs here.  Last night I got HRD fully working with my brand-new Flex6400M.  Got CAT and PTT working with virtual com ports 4 and 5 respectively, and DM780 works fantastic.  My question is this.  For the WSJT software, can I simply designate new com ports using DAX and Smart SDR as Com 6 and 7 in the same fashion?  This seems logical to me but I don't seem to see anyone doing that.  I definitely don't want to disturb my HRD setup that I sweated bullets last night to get perfect, LOL.

Also, in DM780 once I connected the ethernet cable from the rig to the computer, DM780 immediately recognized the audio from the rig's internal "sound card."  Should the WSJT do that, or is there some other necessary step?  Is that what the "virtual audio cable" (VAC) software is needed for?  If so, why was it not needed for DM780?

I've read a lot of the threads on this subject and sorry, but I still seem to be confused.

Loving the radio!  de Roger W6VZV
Photo of Roger J. Buffington

Roger J. Buffington

• 148 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of K1DBO

K1DBO

• 446 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
Roger,

You may have just gotten lucky with your DM780 audio configuraiton.  Normally, when setting up for any of the 'soundcard' modes you have to select the sound card where the audio will appear.  Flex provides a "virtual sounds card" equivalent called DAX. 

The typical flow involves assigning a DAX channel to a slice (from the slice flag) in SSDR.  Then, enabling that DAX channel in the 'DAX Control Panel' (a separate program).  And, finally, in DM780 (or whichever other program) you then choose the 'DAX Audio RX' device that corresponds to the channel you pick in step 1.  Oh, then, dont forget to set the program's audio output device to 'DAX Audio TX' or you wont be able to transmit.

What's working for you could be exactly that if you were lucky enough to have all of those bits in place before hand.  It's also possible that DM780 was set to the systems default audio device and that you had 'PC Audio' selected in SSDR.  If that's the case it only looks like it's working!

For WSJT-X you need to go through all the same steps.  

Note that I've left out the rig control part of the setup.  You seem to be on the right track there.

VAC is fine piece of software and can even come in handy at times with the Flex, but it's really not necessary for any of this.

--Don
Photo of Roger J. Buffington

Roger J. Buffington

• 148 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
OK, you answered my question.  Last night I figured out DAX and SSDR and did just what you said, and got it to do CAT and PTT with DM780.  Also set it up to do rx and tx streaming for the sound card.  My question was whether that same approach would work with WSJT.  You seem to be saying yes.  I'll try it.
Photo of K1DBO

K1DBO

• 444 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
Right, sorry for all the words.  Yes would have done.

All of the soundcard modes are about the same from the Flex side of things.  The individual programs can vary quite a bit in how they name things, of course.  They also vary in what works well and what doesnt when it comes to "rig control".  There are a handful of libraries out there that the different programs use.  Some work better than others with the Flex. To confuse things even more, some programs let you chose which library to use.  Then after choosing the library you still have to decide which "rig" to select.  Some will mention Flex by name, others you have to pick a Kenwood model.  Using COM port PTT is often a choice.  It usually works but is rarely necessary and creates an extra step in the set up.  

It wont take you long to get a feel for it all.