Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW Keying via CAT commands

Ken W9IE
Ken W9IE Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I can't get CW All Mode PTT to work with Writelog Writelog wants to communicate PTT Signals on the Same VSP used for Rig Control The only solution I can see is if "SmartSDR CAT" could be changed to Add PTT on a Virtual Serial Port. Other than a seperate PTT Port Could this be done or am I Missing Something. Ken W9IE
2 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• BobT
    BobT Company Adviser
    edited August 2013
    Ken, There are two ways to key the transmitter via CAT: 1. The Kenwood TX or Flex ZZTX1 CAT commands can be sent by the third-party program using the same port as all the other CAT commands. 2. The third-party program can toggle the RTS or DTR lines on a PTT CAT port. There is no documentation (that I could find) on the Writelog website so I am in the dark about what "CW All Mode PTT" means. Could you furnish a little more information? I know there are a number of Flex Writelog users out there, if any are having the same problem I would really like to hear from them. Thanks, BobT
  • Ken W9IE
    Ken W9IE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I loaded up N1MM and have the same results. PTT wants to be activated on the same port as Rig Control is running on. I am also using DDUTIL, but see no way to attach or use a Port that has been configured as PTT in SmartSDR CAT... I now wonder how anyone else is activating PTT from either WriteLog or N1MM Ken W9IE
  • BobT
    BobT Company Adviser
    edited August 2013
    Exactly what is "Rig Control"? Is it the West Mountain Radio RIGTalk product? I'd love to help you get your system running but I'm having a little difficulty understanding how your station is configured. We need to take this in steps and eliminate as many variables as possible. Try using N1MM directly (no Rig Control, no DDUtil). Just set the COM port in N1MM to the port number shown on the Main tab of the CAT Setup Form and see if you can get N1MM to key the transmitter. Be sure and set that port to be the PTT port in N1MM. BobT
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Ken, I have my N1mm configured with CAT on COM 5 and PTT via RST on COM6. My SSDR CAT is configure for PTT on COM 6 and CAT on COM 5. Seems to work okay with N1MM DVK, MMTTY & MMVARI. Of colurse it is also possible in N1MM to select PTT via Radio COmmand ( a CAT function ) AL, K0VM
  • Ken W9IE
    Ken W9IE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for the Screen Shots Al.... I have set mine up the same only using COM4 for the "Rig Control" and COM8 for PTT It will then Key the Flex but only as if I was pressing the MOX button It shows TX and RED LED on the 6700 in seq with the CW being sent but no RF OUT or Monitor tone. I guess it is closer but NO CIGAR yet. I have run both WriteLog and N1MM before on my Flex 5000 so I am Not a NewBe but am confused... Ken W9IE
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Ken, Well we may have a mis-communication here.. The current version of SSDR/SSDR CAT does not have any means of sending CW via a virtual serial port.. Only with the key input on the back of the 6K can you send CW. The SSDR CAT PTT input only causes the radio to change from RX to TX but does not cause any output in CW mode. AL, K0VM
  • Ken W9IE
    Ken W9IE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks Al, That explains why I have the problem, Now We need TIM to get envolved and get a change made to the CAT Program. That is what I thought was needed in the first place... Nice Talking with you 73's Ken W9IE
  • Mike_N1MD
    Mike_N1MD Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I concur. The lack of CW keying support in SSDR CAT is a significant problem. It cripples our ability to use the 6000 in contesting and hinders our ability to help FRS develop SSDR. Mike, N1MD
  • BobT
    BobT Company Adviser
    edited August 2013
    A little background ... Third-party programs use the Kenwood KY or Flex ZZKY commands to send an ASCII string like "CQ DE K5KDN" to CAT. In PowerSDR, CAT sent that string to a software CW generator module (inside of PowerSDR) that converted it to Morse and keyed the transmitter using an audio tone. It is a different story in the 6000 series. CW keying is in the radio hardware not in SmartSDR (real on-off keying :>). There is currently no code generator in the radio to convert a string to Morse characters. The ability to send externally composed canned messages is a planned feature of high importance. Once the CW generator is in place, the necessary CAT code to pass the CW strings on to the radio can be added. 73, BobT
  • Mike_N1MD
    Mike_N1MD Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Whatever the root cause, the inability to use a 6000 without some type of peripheral device for CW generation in the contest environment using popular contesting software is a BIG step backwards from PSDR and the 3000/5000 radios. For me, it is the only issue that has caused me buyer's remorse with the 6000. I can live for a time with the rest of the development of SSDR and the 6000. I sincerely hope that this "is a planned feature of high importance." CQWW CW is coming fast. Mike, N1MD
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I changed his topic to an "Idea" and modified the topic title to be applicable to the idea that this topic morphed into.
  • Ken W9IE
    Ken W9IE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks Very Much Tim, This is important to many of us, "as is other thing Flex is working on" I hope it migrates near the top for us.. 73's Ken
  • philip.theis
    philip.theis Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    At this point you can still use the logging program to generate the CW, you just need to get it into the radio via a COM port. I would proceed using Al's example.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I am with team too, as Ken mentioned: " This is important to many of us "
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Yes, this is very important to me as a contester. Just as SmartCAT can define a multiple virtual ports for PTT, it would seem logical also to allow virtual ports to be defined as CW SEND to allow other programs (Like N3FJP's programs and others) that send CW via RTS or DTR to access the 6000 directly. Just as SmartCAT can now allow multiple VSP's to access PTT, they could add CW-SEND to each port. For example each "hardware transmit" port could be defined CW-DTR & PTT-RTS for each port?
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    For the moment CW via CAT on COM it should be, but I think in future CAT support via IP directly from 3-d party SW it will be much better- just note
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    In the interim, let me offer a suggestion... I used Writelog CW keying via a COM port for precisely one contest with my 5000 - not due to issues with the 5K but because of timing idiosyncrasies with the Writelog timing. The symptom was that some dots were irregular (often partly contracted) length. I invested in a WinKeyer II and have never looked back - perfect CW keying every time. In fact, I liked the solution so much I purchased two more WinKeyers and use them with WKRemote to be able to have a remote paddle with my remote controlled station - it does cause a one character delay but as the English say... C'est la guerre! I use the WinKeyer with my 6700 and Writelog - works like a charm and allows me to use the Writelog CW keyboard. CU in the CW contests with my Flex 6700! Stu K6TU
  • Ken W9IE
    Ken W9IE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Stu, I was reluctant to reply again to this topic but here goes..... First I am not a complainer, these are just my thought and observations. 1. Interim can be a long time. 2. I do not want to have to purchase external hardware to be connected to the most advanced Transceiver on the market. 3. I ran my Flex5000 with both WriteLog and N1MM in contests with no problem It worked fine around 20 WPM which is where I feel comfortable. 4. I think "TIM" somewhat put the wrong Title on this topic "CW Keying via Cat Commands" unless he just means internal to the Flex 6700 I think hardware controls via DTR and/or RTS are a more important consideration as relates to 3rd Party Software. However; I do understand that the Frequency data, Band, and Mode etc are sent via Cat Commands. 5. I don't want to simplify the Programming complexity to make this all work. IE: 3rd party software, connected to SmartSDR Cat, connected to SmartSDR, connected via LAN to the Flex 6700 with the result being Clean Quick CW, with no Latency and clean Monitor Audio feedback to the Operator. WOW! what a task..... I hope that a Fix to SmartSDR CAT is all that is needed. I know Gerald wants the Flex 6000 Series to be the Best..... The Best CW, Phone and Digital Rig on the Market, I will just have to wait. When it becomes that and the Interim is over..... THE LIGHTS WILL GO ON, ON BROADWAY... Ken W9IE
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Ken, You have the last word on this... well almost ;-) Your expectations have been set by your prior experiences and I respect that. However, when I purchased my 5000, TNF wasn't even an idea, ESC was in the SVN and flaky, Digital filter operation was a pain... Oh, and the list of external equipment included... multiple serial interfaces via Ethernet servers required to connect to external devices plus a couple of amplifiers, a tower, several antennas, switching matrices, computer... the 5000 was one of the less expensive items in the station. I realize this isn't true for everyone - but the expectations came from what you had. If you purchased a TS-990, or FTDX-5000 or Elecraft K3 or... you would still need something external to key CW via an RS232 line, a physical interface to connect your digital sogyware (not a typo ;-) as well as many other things. Ironically, you ALREADY have the best radio platform - bar none in its price range and likely 10x that even for commercial radio service. I'm not waiting as by my expectations, I already have it. Yes, I'm impatient for more... and more and more and more... We all see the potential of this radio and in the words of the shopping diva, I WANT IT ALL, I WANT IT NOW AND I WANT IT DELIVERED!!!!! But I digress.. I respect your expectations - I have them too but I respect Gerald and the team at FlexRadio who I know are busting everything they have. I also deeply respect that they have the cojones to take all this on - its takes a lot of bravery and courage to move the status quo. Impatient, but patiently waiting! ;-) Stu K6TU
  • ai6re
    ai6re Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I believe this topic should remain as a problem in the current support of CW in SmartCAT and the 6000 series radio and not as a suggestion. I can currently operate the PTT at CW speeds via SmartCAT and RTS so I should be able to define CW KEY via SmartCAT COM port and DTR. Simlar control should be included in the 6000 series to the KEY down as is currently implemented to the PTT. For now I will revert to my other radios for everything other than SSB as it is the only mode available.
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    I use both N1MM and WinWarbler (DXLab CW memory) and my own fist with a WinKeyer which is on a FTD com 4. It appears to be something with the more or less real com port. It works perfectly with the 5K I don't even hear sidetone with the 6K. Can there be a difference in the plug wiring between the two rigs? WinKeyer is like the Gold Standard for keyers. This is the first program I found that it won't even key the rig much less send CW. LOl But I'm sure you guys will figure it out.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.