Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Writelog SmartSDR Cat Winkeyer issues.

Options
Andy M5ZAP
Andy M5ZAP Member
edited February 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

Hi

I used a visit from my CW operator son to try and debug the Flex Writelog CW contest setup.

I have the latest version of Writelog 12.12C along with the latest Writelog Flex driver running under windows 10. There are no network issue and network latency is <1mS.

When sending CW from writelog intermittently there is a glitch/stutter, this occurs randomly and could not be aligned with any particular action or operation. I suppose it would occurr once every 5 or 10 contest QSO's

I was running theSmart SDR 1.9.13 initially (I stuck with 1.9.13 as I had flex lockup issues with Beta 1.10.8) I then updated to Smart SDR 1.10.15 Beta and the problem persisted perhaps with a slight reductioon in the frequency of the problem but that ccould not be quantified .

I tried the winkeyer and winkeyer2 options in writelog but that had no affect on the issue

Was anybody else running the writelog flex setup and using the smart SDR cat winkeyer emulation successfully with no issues?

Did anybody notice issues with smart SDR Cat winkeyer operation using any other contest software?

I tried to test in DXlog but the winkeyer would not work at all.  I plan on testing in N1MM+ this week to try and detrmine if it is the contest software or the winkeyer emulation.

I first wanted to check I am not chasing a known issue.

Many Thanks

Andy M5ZAP

Comments

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    This sounds suspiciously like the CWX "stutter" in the latest Beta that has been reported earlier, and which I ran into several times this past weekend. Then again, maybe it's something completely different?!
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    It does sound very much like the issue reported with N1MM+ also. The winkeyer emulation uses CWX and I think that might be the root of the issue. Some of us found that turning off QSK and adjusting the delay (I'm set for 30) might eliminate the stutter at the expense of not being able to use QSK. It has caused me no problems this weekend.

Kev K4VD

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Even on the latest Beta, 0 delay on QSK still results in semi-QSK, as some call it. In other words, no interelement audio. Hopefully that gets fixed soon as well as the new glitch.
  • Andy M5ZAP
    Andy M5ZAP Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi Duane / Kevin
    Thanks for the info it was very helpful. Unfortunately I was unaware of the CWX stutter issue. It certainly sounds like the same issue I experienced, I only searched the forum for winkeyer / writelog issues and should of thought that the winkeyer emulator drives the CWX module.

Hate to sound like a stuck record but an issue list that recorded and explained known issues, there impact and any work around would of prevented me wasting hours of my time trying to understand and rectify an already known issue.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Bug tracking/issue tracking seems to be mostly in the domain of open source or at least open development where interactive user discussions are valued and tracked per bug. I believe the new FRS rejects this notion because of their limited resources guessed at by their lack of timelines and rush to their defense by some in the community. Reading through some older posts, apparently people tried to hold FRS to schedules and that caused all sorts of problems? I may have misunderstood.

It may be that FRS is embarrassed about the bugs and feels tracking them publicly opens them up to scrutiny by other manufacturers. Community members also like to compare FRS's openness to that of the other major rig manufacturers, which is pretty much nonexistent, and the ability of Flex to fix things on the fly, which is tempered by their slow release cycles for critical bugs.

Telling me my issue is being tracked by 49352365 tells me nothing about its priority, progress or scheduling. Maybe I don't deserve or need to know. It's pretty much a take what they give you kind of effort. Granted, they give a lot. But being cut out of the loop for bug tracking and enhancements is kind of a lousy deal.

Just my opinion. If anyone wants to know, I'm a very happy Flex-6500 owner but I'll squeak when not properly greased.

Kev K4VD

• Andy M5ZAP
    Andy M5ZAP Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi I can't seem to track down the original post discussing the CWX stutter problem. Could anybody point me to it so I can view it. Many thanks

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.