WOW ... my Flex 6500 rocks!

• Praise
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • (Edited)
Traded my Flex 6300 for a 6500. It arrived yesterday via UPS - plugged it in and works fantastic! In fact, I couldn't sleep as I kept dreaming of my new rig, so I got up at 0100 and had a blast on 75-meter AM. This morning I talked to Jay N2MGA for an hour on 21.430 Mhz AM .. armchair copy coast-to-coast. Great audio!

AM is my main mode. Rode NT1A to dBx 286s to line input on the 6500. Bodacious signal from San Juan Island, Wa. and I'm having way too much fun in my early retirement!

15-meters has been open. Take a listen on 21.430 Mhz and don't be afeared to select AM mode. SAM (synchronous amplitude modulation) will blow your socks off!

W7NGA  dan
San Juan Island, Wa.
Photo of W7NGA

• 379 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 538 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
I knew I should have traded my 6300 in for a 6500 when I had the chance... 
Photo of W7NGA

• 379 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
The fun continues .. this morning 15-meters was open and I had a nice chat with Rob W1AEX on 21.430 Mhz Amplitude Modulation. I am very pleased with the AM implementation and the balanced line interface. Give a listen .. armchair copy, 2500 mile coast-to-coast full-bodied Flex 6500 AM.
73's .. W7NGA  dan
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 640 Reply Likes
Isn't that powerSDR?
Photo of W7NGA

• 379 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
Yes .. that is Rob's display in Connecticut of my signal from San Juan Island, Wa. on his Anan 100. He wanted to show the abrupt cutoff of my 4800 hz high-cut sideband energy. Like a brick wall!
Photo of W1AEX

• 12 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Your new Flex 6500 sounds beautiful Dan and it looks clean as a whistle in the panadapter too. Nice job setting it up! The link below is a brief recording of your signal as it was heard here in Connecticut. When we finished up today I checked 10 meters above 29 MHz and caught several big west coast and European signals there. Maybe the bands are going to give us another nice run this fall and winter.

Photo of k3Tim

• 793 Posts
  • 148 Reply Likes
The AM sounds very good!  

Bandwidth:  AM - DSB with carrier
Since the modulation is done in digital domain it can't be to difficult to use one side band only.  So it would be AM- SSB and save some 'space'.  Granted the boat anchors would not handle this well but on Flex one could easily on the receive side.
In listening to AM.  During receive I often reduce one of the sidebands  leaving a little bit in the low frequencies (vestigial?))  
I am curious if the audio would sound as good from one sidebanded AM versus the two sidebanded AM, selective fading notwithstanding. 

One think I have noticed with AM nets and SAM enabled, those boat anchors are all over the place!