Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Would someone from FRS care to comment?

James Watts
James Watts Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have been a long time Flex supporter. I've owned an SDR1000, Flex 5000a and now a Flex 6500. I, like many of you, would like some answers from FRS. You might say, well, we don't owe you any explanation, but you do. I'm your customer and have a right to know some details about a system I've invested in based on company statements of future development. We've all actually invested in a beta system that has non-developed standard features and with a promise from FRS to add those features in a timely manner. 

Would someone from FRS answer:
  • Not being able to stick to your date schedule development timeline, we now have no firm calendar as to when features are going to be added. It could be 2 years between releases based on your latest rollout criteria of "when bugs are gone and the software is ready". Please publish a roadmap. We have to know when to expect standard features and updates.
  • How many people do you have dedicated to software engineering and development? (please don't include administrative staff)
  • How are future communications going to be handled with your customers about features and timeline for deployment of software?
  • Is FRS willing to employ additional software developers and engineers to ensure your product gets out the door in a timely manner in the future? A lot of us have invested a lot of money in FRS and the very least you could do is show us you are addressing the problems incurred with this 6000 software rollout debacle. 
I'm sure others have questions as well. I would appreciate your honest answers to my above questions and concerns.

James, W8GN

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    James

As someone who works in the software industry, I know what these delivery times are like.  All I can say on Flex's behalf is that I know they are working flat out on the latest release, and I know it can be frustrating if you are a customer waiting on that release.  There are literally scores of beta testers shaking it down each day. 

However, it is much worse if a product is released prematurely as I am sure you can understand.  The **** back is difficult to manage and the company looses face.

I can also speak from my professional experience working with Software Product management for a fortune 500 company, that we all want 'features and functionality' with all new software.  But, we have to make sure that product stability is an absolute requirement first.  There is no sense releasing a product if it can't run all day and do what it is advertised to do.  We have all seen that with many software products.  Microsoft has made this mistake more than once.

Planning for software release is difficult.  It isn't like hardware manufacturing when it is easy to plan for a delivery date.  It can be 'it will be finished when it is finished'.  

I'm sure Gerald will reply, but I know that there are a lot of people burning the midnight oil to get the next release out the door with all the toys that go with it and the stability to run without issue.  But, they want to do it right the first time.  Even then there will be issues with some users.

I know this won't likely get you the answer you wish, but I hope it helps a little.  

Mike va3mw
  • Barry Comer
    Barry Comer Member
    edited May 2015
    As a fellow customer that has also put my hard earned money on the table there is something to add. The relationship I have with FRS is a little different then when I bought my FT950. Let me explain, the FT950 was what I would call "feature complete". All features of what is considered "normal" on a radio at this point in the time-line were there and working. With the 6500 that feature list was not complete at the time of purchase. That difference makes the relationship with FRS a little off the beaten path and requires an above level of communication with the customer base.

It is critical to keep the communication open and not become an "us and them" community. Customers are expressing their concerns regardless of some extremes and thus is a valuable source of information that can help prioritize the feature delivery list.

I am a long term software developer and am able to see both sides of this issue. FRS should really consider returning to an "approximate" date release schedule. Yes, it requires proper scheduling of prioritized features but gives the customer base an expected road map. I would rather see more "dot" releases as features become available compared to monolithic releases that wedge frustration between FRS and the customer base. Please consider that not all of the customer base has chimed in on the forums. Tough problem to sort out for sure.  

Update: we should understand that some features are what I would call "foundation" in nature. They provide a base on which to add other features. Case in point is remote operation - it will touch several areas and affect how some new features are developed.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Good points Barry. Flex was trying to set a date in hoping for 1.4 but didn't happen and , well you saw the fallout it caused, they have been called all sorts of names and dragged through the mud.
    Even This morning it has started all mover again. So It is no surprise to me the are holding back on much info as I gets turned around on them anyways.

I read all the post and as I see it most except for a few love there Radio's even with not having all the features yet. They have performed very well in contest as well. A lot of very happy Flexer's here. Even with the present state most will say it is still the best radio they ever owned.

But as we have seen there are a few who are waiting for any opening to trash Flex and missed dates is an easy one for them. And I think some are not even Flex owners.

Bill VA3WTB
  • Barry Comer
    Barry Comer Member
    edited May 2015
    Thanks, you are right the 6500 is simply awesome and the releases are coming. I made a large number of contacts during the recent ARRL contest with some done close to strong stations - sweet filtering.

Yes, there are trolls in every forum that are here to raise the roof - sad.
  • Lyndy Brannen
    Lyndy Brannen Member
    edited March 2015
    Waiting is tough. All I have invested is the cost of my radio and I have never enjoyed a rig more, must be real tough on the folks who have their lives and financial  future tied up in the outcome.

• James Watts
    James Watts Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am in the IT industry as well. I understand the problems a company faces, but Flex is different. I AM a stock holder in this company, W6SDM. Flex sold this radio to me and others on the premise we would receive timely updates. That has NOT happened in over 1.5 years. Have they been on schedule for any release? Therefore, the bill of goods I was sold, I have a right to know when to expect the features I was promised. I have a right to know what FRS is doing to correct the problems. I also have a right to know a timeline on when to expect the features I was promised when they sold me the radio because that was a selling point. I do enjoy using my Flex 6500. I only wish FRS the very best and I've continued to support them by purchasing their equipment. However, it's time they report to their stock holders on how they are addressing the problems and how they are going to deliver the bill of goods they promised. James, W8GN
  • James Watts
    James Watts Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Barry, I enjoy my Flex 6500 as well. It works and will do many things. However, there are many things wrong too. These are the things I think FRS owes it's customer base to discuss openly. Also, it's very sad you think anyone that questions FRS is a troll. James, W8GN
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I don't think Berry thinks that, no problem with questions, but some of these people are well known as not excepting the answers Flex post here. Everyone I'm sure understands the delays and why.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Your dead wrong....
  • Barry Comer
    Barry Comer Member
    edited May 2015
    Please understand that I do not think all those that question are trolls. The purpose of any forum is to discuss a topic towards improving it. I invite people to make honest contributions that may not always agree with others - just try to be mature and understanding when doing so.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    An analogy. I start extracting a tooth, I tell the patient it will be out in a second, then a minute and then 5 minutes and then I stay quiet. When they ask when it will be over, I say that it will be out when it's out; result one unhappy patient. This is how FRS has dealt with 1.4.
    Patient would have been happier if I would have said at the beginning that I needed to take my time and it will be out as soon as possible; result a happy patient. This is how FRS should move forward.
    We all have to work to time scales but it is how we handle the expectation and info flow that matters.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Agreed.  Managing expectations is essential to customer satisfaction.  That's exactly why Flex stopped issuing projected release dates.  Sometimes that tooth is adhered to the jawbone in such a way that extraction takes much longer than anticipated. 

When it gets here, I think we should throw an intercontinental 1.4 release party.  I'm afraid what follows will be demands on when 1.5 will be released and complaints because a feature doesn't work exactly the way someone anticipated.  Such is human nature.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I do not think there will be a problem with 1.5 for reasons that I have mentioned elsewhere. In short, FRS chose a bad time to stay quiet - a much delayed release with an expected delivery date and earlier postings (months ago) inferring that it was nearly ready. Information without mentioning anything time-related is the way to go. I think FRS has learnt the hard way on this one, especially as it looks like a feature was removed followed by rumours that it had been re-instated (FreeDV and Waveform API). Also, more point releases would be better for customer satisfaction/perception, but I cannot say how it would impact on development itself.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I can see that but with this release point releases were not possible as the software had to be reworked in order to instate remote. During the time of re-working the code for remote there most likely was not a stable time for any release point.
  • Kevin J. Mahoney
    edited March 2015
    I am not a very sophisticated Ham and in fact do not understand some of the seemingly more esoteric features that people ask for. At least esoteric to me. I bought the radio for what it could do not what it might do in the future,  Improvements are a bonus for me. I understand what others are commenting about but my observation is that the folks from Flex communicate with their customer base better than any other radio company out there. Many are impatient which I also understand but for me I am giving Flex the benefit of the doubt.
  • James Watts
    James Watts Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Bob, you are absolutely correct. It was sold as in development but with promises of updates and features added based on a timeline.. This was FRS sales pitch and promise to early purchasers. However, they could not meet that timeline and changed midstream. Since I purchased the radio based on this premise, I am vested somewhat in the company and feel my questions above are reasonable and valid. James, W8GN
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    A more accurate assessment is that the dentist and patient initially thought that it would be a five minute job, but ran into complications, so the dentist extended the update only to find more complications. The dentist then say this is going to take much longer than I thought and I can't give you an exact time. But the patient keeps badgering the dentist about the initial five minute time estimate and gets so cantankerous, texting all of his friends from the dentist chair, and won't keep his mouth still so that the dentist has difficulty finishing the job.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Are you kidding Ken?  I bet it would be more fun throwing mud at the dentist than changing...
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Kevin,
    You said exactly what I wanted to say.
    I bought my 6700 for what it could do the day I took it out of the box. 
    Yes, I like to idea of updates and more features but that has nothing with my enjoyment of a fantastic radio in the meanwhile.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thanks for the information.
  • James Watts
    James Watts Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Gerald , I thank you very much for taking the time to address my concerns and for the development update.

As I stated above, I'm not a troll and I'm not here to bash FRS, I want you to succeed and prosper. As my buying history indicates, I am a fan of Flex Radio. I just feel the lack of communication with your customers leads to misinformation. Please don't take my questions the wrong way, I just wanted to know if the development team was understaffed and this was the root cause of features being slowly implemented and release delays.

Thank you again for your reply.

James, W8GN
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited November 2016
    Gerald and Team:
    Don't forget the 80/20 rule of business.
    Once 1.4 is released the rule will still be in place.
    Dan --- KC4GO 
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Gerald,
    Many thanks for the additional information. Sorry for the occasions when my impatience got the better of me.
    With kindest regards
    Guy
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Guy, I have moments like that too.... I've had to bite my tongue hard a couple of times and, like you, still love the radio....

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.