Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Worthless flex 5000 (fully loaded) up for grabs

Bradley Feldman
edited October 2020 in The Flea Market
I have a top-of-the-line Flex 5000 with all the available options (including UHF/VHF).   I spent over $5000 and hardly used it (various reasons).   Now it seems "left for dead" by the manufacturer and community.

Find it outside, take it, please.   Too worthless to even carry to the trash.
Tagged:

Comments

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Bradley,

I'd hardly describe the 5000 as "left for dead" - the radio still functions well on machines that support it  Its a great radio, works well and PowerSDR is still available from FRS.  Its no different than any other radio whose manufacturer has announced its end of life - I think about my one year old, barely used IC-7000 that Icom "left for dead" - equally unfair.

Nothing is forever.  My 20 year old Kenwood UHF radio sorta still works - the backup battery is toast, the radio is no longer serviced by its manufacturer but it works.  The 5000 will still work in 20 years - you just need to use the same computer as you do now.  No different.

Its better to grind the axe outside.
    Stu K6TU

• Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    We continue to service and support the FLEX-5000 along with all of our other models.  The repair shop services them every day and we provide free help desk and phone support as well.  Your statement is incorrect.
  • Bradley Feldman
    edited September 2014
    What's it worth?
  • Bradley Feldman
    edited September 2014
    Gerald:  Great comment.   How about a trade-in deal with credit towards a 6000 series?   

I bought it because I believed it would continue to evolve (expandable internal hardware platform and semi-open software), or so your sales literature lead me to believe.   

A trade-in deal would certainly heal my wounds from the disappointing abandoned Flex promise.

What do you think?
  • Bradley Feldman
    edited September 2014
    Yes, the radical, open, expandable, somewhat future-forward Flex-5000 series, now gone 180 degrees back to, essentially what Icom and Kenwood have always done (minus knobs and buttons).   Revolution or defeat?
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    I wish there was a DISLIKE button.

I purchased my Flex 5000 in 2009 - I had years of enhancements which I enjoyed. FRS enhanced the radio way more than I ever expected or experienced - there are few manufacturers in Ham Radio that have done the same.

Gee... my 8 year old car wouldn't do Bluetooth to support my new phone - did the manufacturer give me a better trade in than the value of the car because I wanted bluetooth in a new car?

Get real.
    Stu K6TU
  • Bradley Feldman
    edited October 2019
    There are better, cheaper more current and more rewarding options in SDR than the Flex 5000 for young hams.    I may get better deal turning it in as scrap metal.
  • Bradley Feldman
    edited September 2014
    At least you can trade in a car.    I'm asking flex to accept a trade to a new series one. They probably can write it off as a bonus.

What's not a good deal about that for either party?
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014

Bradley, I will pay the shipping to take it off your hands to donate it to the High School here in Sammamish, WA plus the $0.89/lb you would get for scrap.

That is assuming there is no tongue planted in cheek here.

I still have my 5000 along with a 6300 and I use both.

• Bradley Feldman
    edited September 2014
    Don't you work for flex, Stu?   Even indirectly?    Am I spoiling a similar deal you got from them?   C'mon now.
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I'll pay shipping plus $100.
    Rick
    W2JAZ
  • Bradley Feldman
    edited September 2014
    Nice try, but I think Sammamish kids have enough toys, or rich parents to donate them.  I lived in the Seattle area for a while.

Maybe if it was impoverished club in Detroit.  But not in posh Sammamish.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Nope, I don't get paid by Flex.  I happen to want them to be a successful and happy company so they keep developing world beating radios.

I sold my 5000 on the open market - to a new very happy 5000 owner.
    Perhaps its time you went back under the bridge?  Daylight will come soon....

Sorry, but Scotty is beaming me out of here...
    Stu K6TU
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014

I think the wind is blowing from Westport. Is this eBay now? :-)

• Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    If you want to sell it post a price you are looking for.
    Rick
  • Bradley Feldman
    edited September 2014
    Stu:   Great words from a guy who sold his design (for a control knob) to flex.  Yeah, you didn't get paid.    Hope that transporter is a one way trip for you....hi hi.
  • Steven St Germain
    edited September 2014
    Ill donate it to the club here in Okeechobee florida and also pay the shipping
  • Bradley Feldman
    edited September 2014
    Gerald?
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Spot on Jon.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Your radio is probably worth about $2600 on the used radio market. That assumes it is in good working order. Seems to me that's no worse than a car you buy and driver for a few years. You also get the added bonus that cutting edge technology gets cheaper quick. This means that you can buy a new 6300 for little more than you can sell your used 5000. There aren't many new purchases that would allow that.

I don't know what has motivated you to attack Flex like this. Are you also after Sony for your television that isn't worth what you paid for it three years ago?

Move on!

DIslike!

Jon...kf2e
  • Bradley Feldman
    edited September 2014
    Guys if there is a real not-for-profit that can provide a real, legit tax donation form to me, I'd go for it.   A tax deduction is as good as cash.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    As a matter of fact, K6TD and I both gave Flex the design FOR FREE.

So once again you are dead wrong.

Go back under the bridge Mr Troll.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    It just sounds like sour grapes from the OP as he never had a chance to use it. Had he, he would have loved it. Where is the ****/troll filter on this forum?
  • Charlie
    Charlie Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Instead of talking about scraping the radio just list it on one of the ham radio selling sites and see what you get.  Come on now stop whining.
  • Paul_Mills
    Paul_Mills Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    The 5000 is still better than new models as the software is still better. Quit crying!!
  • Bradley Feldman
    edited September 2014
    Thanks folks.

I really wanted to get some valuable feedback from the community, thus the "bait" I hung out there with the lead post.  I'm the furthest thing from a whiner.   You guys certainly took the bait quickly.  Thanks.

I know the Flex-5000a (fully loaded) is not junk, but I wish Flex would consider a trade-in program for a credit towards a 6000 series.   It will not yield the same price as listing on eHam, but it would be a win-win for the customers and Flex.   

I'd think it'd be a break-even for Flex at worst.   Think of the value of the goodwill it would provide to the company and the community.   Plus lighten the support issues for Flex.   It'd guess the 5000's (3000's and 1500's)  are much more support cost intensive than the 6000's.  That'd be gone for the most part and Flex would have everyone embracing the 6000's.

Might even set an example for other manufacturers.

Whatd'ya say Gerald?   Have you guys run any projections?
  • Charlie
    Charlie Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Brad just sell the radio and be done with it. 
  • Bradley Feldman
    edited September 2014
    Stu:   Give me a break.   You got nothing in return?  I don't believe that.   Even $1 in Flex store credit is something.   Be reasonable.  You're a very smart guy.
This discussion has been closed.