Work HF antenna and 6-Meter Yagi Simultaneously on FLEX-6500

• Idea
  • Updated 5 years ago
I've seen a few questions about simultaneously monitoring or working HF and 6-Meters with a FLEX-6500.  Typically this involves some HF antenna (Tri-bander?) and a 6-Meter Yagi.

It's pretty easy to use an HF/6-meter duplexer to connect both antennas to a single antenna port on the 6500.  Now, one can enjoy having different panadapters open on 6, 10, 12 and 15, all receiving and displaying band activity.  The Comet CF-360B duplexer seems just right for this duty.

The only drawback is not being able to fully use the internal antenna tuner for transmitting through the duplexer into a poorly matched antenna.  This setup works very well for both transmit and receive barefoot into low-vswr antennas.

It can even be used to feed separate KW amps (one for HF, one for 6) which might have their own internal tuners.  A simple SPDT switch feeding the keying line to either KW PA solves the keying issue.
Photo of Mike - W8MM

Mike - W8MM

• 189 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4025 Posts
  • 1248 Reply Likes
I have that duplexer, bought for exactly this purpose while anticipating arrival of my 6500 last august, but never got the six meter squalo up. I plan to get it done this weekend!
(Edited)
Photo of Ernest - W4EG

Ernest - W4EG

• 594 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes

Thank you Mike,

Never thought of doing that: I will integrate the duplexer for multi bands operation. 

Now the only thing I wish is that Flex add eight antenna input for each slides on my F-6700!  LOL

Photo of philip.theis

philip.theis, Elmer

• 114 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
6700 does this seamlessly, it's beyond 2 bands that becomes the switching challenge, but we'll get there when we get data out of the I2C
Fun getting ten bands or more into the XVTR port