Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

wood a tripp-lite isobar on the AC line help on noise. thanks

Answers

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Possibly but I suspect not.  Depends on the noise you are experiencing.  Tell us more about that:  All bands?  With or without antenna?  Does it vary with time of day?  Is your station grounded?  Are all the devices tied together? What type of power supply are you using?  etc.
    Bob, WK2Y
  • john kossuth
    john kossuth Member
    edited April 2018
    I wos wored that I mite have line noise and the iolsater wood help ????? thanks john
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    The easiest was to tell is to disconnect the antenna. If the noise is still there it's coming in through the power (unlikely). If it goes away then it's coming in the antenna (good luck!)
  • john kossuth
    john kossuth Member
    edited April 2018
    dose this hold trew with a switching power supply thanks john
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Yes. In my experience, switching power supplies radiate noise far more than they superimpose it on the output DC. Radiated noise comes in the antenna.

When they are noisy on the output DC an isobar still won't help. You would need to run the DC output line through a toroid on its way to the radio.

I recommend that you not over-think this. Get the radio and see what your environment gives you then go from there.
  • john kossuth
    john kossuth Member
    edited April 2018
    ok thanks to all acØol
  • Lawrence Gray
    Lawrence Gray Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I use Tripplite line isolators between the AC line and my equipment.  I find that they reduce electrical line noise, as well as holding up the AC line voltage and protecting against surges.  I have one that just services my amp and another that does the remaining shack items.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2018
    I do the same thing and also use a Tripplie Line Conditioner to ensure the AC feeding my devices after the UPS is clean.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Adding the Isobar won’t make it worse, for sure. I recommend it as part of an overall noise mitigation plan. Grounding, shielding, ferrites, quality cables, and careful placement really help.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2018
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have used isobar power strips for years. Line noise reduction is minimal, but RF isolation is great and isolates between outlets . Very good surge suppression. Received a direct lightning strike on the power line outside my house, all equipment on the isobar was ok. One kitchen appliance was killed, no surge protection. Proof is in the pudding...... Pat

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.