Wolfwave Audio Processor vs what SmartSDR already has

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
I am wondering if anyone has tried SOTABeam's new Wolfwave Audio Processor and if it offers anything above what is already available in SmartSDR, particularly on noise reduction.  Two things I noticed are the ability to control the upper and lower edges of the bandpass filter separately (Am I overlooking something in SmartSDR?), and the CW regen looked very intriguing. I am curious to hear what folks think.Thanks and 73,Bob, WK2Y

Photo of Bob Gerzoff, WK2Y

Bob Gerzoff, WK2Y

• 207 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of David-N5PSM

David-N5PSM

• 174 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Bob,

upper and lower edges of the band-pass filter???    Just drag with the mouse.....

CW Pretty much the same,  choose the width and tweak with the mouse.

I have literally played with it for hours picking out different characteristics of CW signals.

When working sideband in a net of different OMs all running different audio setups and xmit cutoff frequencies with QRM & QRN at the side I just leisurely drag with the mouse to get the optimum from each signal. and even that guy thats 27 Hz off frequency,   when he talks I just click the "RIT" on and he is right on.

"BEST RIGS IN THE WORLD"

73 N5PSM David
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
@David, The filter dragging method is especially effective when you have a station who is fond of the "Super-Bass" sound and is so bassy/mushy you cannot understand him.  I just slice the low end of the envelope up to about 150 Hz and the problem is solved.  Especially important for weak signals.

BTW, you can also de-emphasize or enhance particular audio frequencies with the RX EQ function.  This has made the difference between a solid contact and no contact at all, especially with my 60 year-old ears.

Just as with TX Audio Profiles, the RX settings are very powerful, but there is a bit of a learning curve as you learn how to drive this "sports car" of a rig.

A combination of mild NR and RX EQ can make a huge difference in some signals. 

And learning how to drive the AGC-T is the most important lesson to learn. 
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
BTW.  David, I tagged you to add to your statement for the benefit of others, not that I think you need the advice.  It sounds like you have been driving the sports car well for some time!
Photo of David-N5PSM

David-N5PSM

• 174 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
It's all good

Bob Gerzoff, WK2Y

• 207 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
I knew it had to be there, but I finally figured out why I couldn't do it.  Whenever I tried to move the lower filter bound, I was changing the frequency. I was grabbing the yellow vertical frequency line because it coincided with the lower bound.  I see now how to separate them by setting using a right-click or setting a bandwith.  Duh!!  Thanks again. 
Photo of Craig Williams

Craig Williams

• 235 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Wow, after having my 6400 for a year I never saw the RIT button. Perfect for listening to my fellow boat anchor users.

Bob Gerzoff, WK2Y

• 207 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
I knew it had to be there!!  Thanks.

Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 580 Posts
  • 206 Reply Likes
I don’t know about the Wolfwave unit, but I have a BHI Noise Reduction unit (British). It does an absolutely great job of pulling voice intelligence out of a signal. It completes what AGC-T starts, and removes the rest of the hiss, most static crashes, etc.

It is truly an add-on to the audio output, and totally independent of the ability of the Flex filters to modify the bandwidth of a signal. No idea how well, or not, it works on CW.
Photo of N5LB - Lionel B

N5LB - Lionel B

• 224 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Is this somewhat like SSDR's noise reduction (NR) function?  You seem to imply the BHI NR is more effective on receive audio than SSDR NR, is that accurate? The BHI is an analog device between the Flex audio and speakers, at least thats what I assume.  I'm curious since the SSDR NR works okay, though there are times when the audio (SSB) is reduced as much as the noise; its tricky to adjust in my experience. 
Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 580 Posts
  • 206 Reply Likes
I use the BHI unit no matter what noise reduction I use - it appears to be specific to speech - it just pulls intelligence out of the noise. Reallygreat when the signal is weak. It DOES require that the output be amplified for best results. I have the Flex output going to the BHI then to the powered speakers. The BHI also has headphone output with volume control, so that’s where I have my phones plugged in.

The speech processing has settings from Off to 8 (very aggressive).

Bob Gerzoff, WK2Y

• 207 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
It's a whole audio processing box, NR, bandwidth, CW regeneration and a bunch of other features.  If you go to www.sotabeams.com, it's featured on their home page.