Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WNB working for me.

Chuck
Chuck Member
edited April 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
One of my neighbors turned on his electric fence for his horse. I turned on the WNB, set at 0 and it made the "tick, tick, tick" pulse noise disappear with no distortion to the audio. The NB had no affect at any setting and that's what I expected from the published description. 

Comments

• Wim
    Wim Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Chuck can you post a screenshot of the pandapter whiule the fence is doing its thiung (without WNB engaged) and then another one when it's engaged to see the difference.

Is the fence causing noise on all Ham bands and goes away with the WNB ?

reason I ask is a fellow HAM is also having major noise issues with a fence for horses
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    WNB/NB vs fence .. my neigbour has his cows in the paddock at the moment next to my antenna ... 17m really hammered without the NB .. WNB/NB .. gone!  you should see the peaks on the pandapter :)

• Chuck
    Chuck Member
    edited October 2015
    Got home a few minutes ago. Checked the bands, no fence noise on any bands with or without WNB. Will check tomorrow and let you know. However, Simon's post and picture is what I experienced, but was on 40 meters.
  • Chuck
    Chuck Member
    edited October 2015
    After 2 days, the fence noise has not returned, so I can't send a screen shot until it returns.
  • Jerry Wilk
    Jerry Wilk Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017

AA7SN

I had a similar noise issue last Saturday on 15 meters.  Do not know if it was an electric fence. But the panadapter display looked similar and the WNB took it right out.  This is the first time I saw the WNB have an effect.

• Chuck
    Chuck Member
    edited April 2019
    Here's the screen shot I promised. It's not the electric fence from before, but it is wide noise, probably the noisy electric utility insulators down the street that start acting up when it's dry out here. The WNB setting was in the 80's to be 100% effective, a much higher setting than the electric fence noise. This is probably because the fence noise was more correlated than the sizzling noise of the utility pole. 73 Chuck KE7SA

• Mike KD2CJJ
    Mike KD2CJJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    For me the WNB is useless on ALL noises.  I have yet to find one that it works on.  The NB however has worked well but needs to be at 95% for powerline noise that I have... Are you guys who have success using the WNB using a 6300, 6500 or 6700?
  • Chuck
    Chuck Member
    edited April 2019
    I have a 6500. Again, WNB only works on correlated wideband noise. Meaning, noise that has a very high repetitive period noise pulse pattern and is several megahertz wide. The noise also has to be present for a few seconds for the algorithm to analyze it and then actually turn the function on (see the WNB label change from dim to bold in the upper right of the spectrum display). However, the label going bold means the algorithm has finished the analysis, but not necessarily successfully because the noise may be outside the algorithms parameters.  If the noise is more random as in atmospheric, then the WNB will not detect it and fail to cancel it out by the mute and replace algorithm. Power line noise can be correlated, sort of, or not, especially if the weather affects the source. This accounts for some reports of the success or not from users of WNB. WNB is not currently configured to be a magic button that removes all noise. It's a selective noise button. Whereas, NB is a general noise blanker that has a slider to set for how aggressive it acts on noise. Remember, noise is highly variable and each method will have better or less results. Right now, I checked my noise (several hours later) and the WNB is much less effective at any setting, why? Because, the power line noise has diminished and has been taken over by increased atmospheric noise as it gets dark outside. I turned WNB off and turned on NB to a low setting and reduced the AGC slider from 50 to 40. I hope this helps to explain WNB. Chuck KE7SA

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.