WNB Praise

• Praise
  • Updated 3 months ago
I haven't had much success using WNB--just not the right kind of noise here.  Today, I had a perfect example of WNB completely eliminating a buzzing noise on 40M.  I do not yet know the source of the noise, but WNB eliminated it.   The screenshots below show before and after.
Photo of Lawrence Gray

Lawrence Gray

• 87 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of mikeatthebeach .

mikeatthebeach .

• 186 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
The WNB feature is the reason I recently bought a Flex6700

Also have upgraded K3/P3 &  IC-7851 here

Both Elecraft & Icom radio's
are collecting dust on the shelf

Need I say more!

Enjoy

73 Mike
Photo of Lawrence Gray

Lawrence Gray

• 87 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I've been running on a generator for the past 2 days due to the power outages caused by the recent east coast storm.  On 80M, I noticed some hash from the generator making operating difficult.  Clicking the WNB "button" completely eliminated the noise, as can be seen in the screen shot below:

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2318 Posts
  • 529 Reply Likes
Lawrence, yes I have found it to save my day a few times as well.
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1056 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
Lawrence,

Does the buzz sound like the noise in this video ?
https://youtu.be/-cwPeLIQWHc

That was recorded the other day here at my house in NJ after the Nor’easter.
For me it is powerline arcing and is bad on windy days. It is extremely bad on 15 and 40meters. WNB works great for me at a level of 92.when the noise is constant it works fantastic. For intermittent noise as in the video it works well but has to resymc ocassionally.

I’ve had the power company out a couple of times and they isually find a bad insulator. I have had success in tracking the noise down to one or two poles using a Radio Shack DX390receiver on 7.200 MHz AM and a hand held 8pound sledge hammer. I walk around and play whack-a-pole (not hard... but just enough to stir up the noise). Then report it into the power company. Luckily I know the person who heads up the group investigating RFI complaints and follow up with a call to him with pole numbers.

BTW, I did a couple of videos on YouTube showing the noise from a pole in front of my house, then sent the videos to the power company ;-)

Wqs going to track down the noose here today but will wait til Thursday as we are expecting another Nor’easter Wednesday.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Lawrence Gray

Lawrence Gray

• 87 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I isolated the source to my generator, which was running due to the recent storm related power outage.  The WNB completely eliminated the noise, as can be seen in the waterfall before/after.