Winkeyer inout on AUX conn pin 4 no keying voltage

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
New 6600 so might be just op error. CW ok with Paddle input but AUX pin 4 per Hardware and SmartSDR said it is enabled all the time.  PTT is workign but not keyer input.
Photo of rjguidrysr

rjguidrysr

• 77 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
  • newbi

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Mack McCormick

Mack McCormick, Elmer

• 324 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
I'm using AUX Pin 4 CW keying input on my 6600. Works great! I have it wired from the WinKeyer KEY1 to Pin 4 on the AUX plug and Pin 5 ground. Of course this only works in CW mode and make sure you have KEY1 setup in the WinKeyer app.

Mack
W4AX
Alpha Team
(Edited)
Photo of rjguidrysr

rjguidrysr

• 77 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Thanks, Mack,  that is what I expect but there is no voltage on pin 4 to key to ground like on PTT pin 14.

I have Winkeyer yes set for PTT and ST on Port 1 and RCA to a RCA female I have on pin 4 of the AUX 15 HD connector. reading 7.6.4 looks like not conf needed inside 6600.

Just manual testing is the same PTT I can ground and Key In does nothing in CW mode!
Photo of Mack McCormick

Mack McCormick, Elmer

• 324 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
I'm running out of ideas. One other thing to try is to take a short piece of jumper wire and short pin 4 and pin 5 momentarily while in CW mode. If that doesn't work then you should open a help desk ticket as you may have a hardware problem. 

I'm not questioning your ability by my next comment but just trying to eliminate possibilities. Please use a strong light and high magnification to ensure you're shorting the pins physically numbered 4 and 5. It's easy to select the wrong pins on a high density 15 pin female connector. I've personally made this mistake before.

Mack
W4AX
Alpha Team
Photo of Jim K4JAF

Jim K4JAF

• 341 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
Make sure you have the correct pin.  Seems i remember there was a mistake in the schematic at one time..  as to whether you were looking at the back or front of the connector.  
Photo of rjguidrysr

rjguidrysr

• 77 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Thanks,  Jim, made me check the cable builders work and he missed the pin!.

Heating up the iron now. See voltage on actual pin 4 Not pin 2!

Thanks Jim and Mack, it is working as planned now.  

Pin 2 was extended out to the RCA cable I had requested not pin 4.  All is well.

Question my ability anytime, I am getting older and do need the brighter lights and magnification to see those little pins.  

PAge 23 helped pin it down, thanks to all!

Thanks a nice to be part of the Flex movement and family. 

Russ K5OA
(Edited)