Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Windows Upgrade and Drivers

Nick
Nick Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in New Ideas
I brought this up several years ago.  I'll try again.  - Miss-named or missing drivers is a common problem after a Windows upgrade.  Not taking the upgrade is a very bad idea.  I suggest Flex create a script we can run to "fix" the driver problem.  This is common in the S/W development business and in this case wouldn't even require a programmer to develop. If this is not an option, could we at least get a Flex upgrade with an un-install option that will completely remove the system from the computer so we can just reinstall it without having to play whack-a-mole with the drivers?  This problem always seams to come up when we just want to get on the air and enjoy the hobby. 

Comments

• Bill
    Bill Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    That sounds like a brilliant idea. Bill - G4ERV
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019

I'd be willing to pay good money for this luxury.
  • Art - N4QNT
    Art - N4QNT Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I would gladly pay the $200 for that feature in 4.0... Matter of fact I’ll pay $250 if they included Adaptive Pre Distortion..
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    The Windows driver issue differs in how it manifests itself, which make a scripted response very difficult.  

Watching the process when Tim did a remote fix for me, it was apparent numerous conditional responses to many distinct investigations/evaluations come into play.  

There may be ways to eventually bury the DAX driver Windows update pavlova, so don't give up hope.  Scripting the wisdom of Tim & Erik might be harder than it seems, and vulnerable to Windows variations and evolution.

Steve
    K9ZW

http://k9zw.wordpress.com  

• Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I've asked for a little Fixit program as well. It seems like a good idea to me at least. I know that Windows 10 and it's problems have cost Flex a few sales. I didn't want to have to run up to our mountaintop station to fix radios after an update, or in members doing some contesting. 

Only thing I would disagree with is that it is definitely much safer to keep Windows from updating than not. Problems are not limited to Flex.  And updates are worse than malware. There are recent repots of BSOD's now RSODs and evern Black screens of death (BlaSODS?) If an operating system is owned after purchasing malware and AV software, and blocking scripts and ads (ads are a definite malware vector)  well then, we gots us a pretty lame OS
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Ya, were it that simple. How about errors equal, number of processor types X, number of every video processor type X , usb, PCI, HDMI, VGA. And on an on on every type of hardware working on 100.s of different types of mother boards. Did I forget to mention software? It.s a wonder any processor based system works. But wait, most of them work for ****. Ever go 24 hours without a major freeze up on your cell phone? We just suspect that’s all the better they should work. Wish I had my old Motorola analog cell phone so I could make a decent call.
  • peter
    peter Member
    edited July 2019
    I imagine the majority are sick of this, I once again have the problem. Ive opened a help desk ticket but, as much as I love the flex I am know seriously thinking of selling the Flex and going back to 1 of the main 3
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    These issues with Windows 10 updates corrupting DAX drivers are very frustrating.  I had the issue in the latest 1903 update and it took me a couple of hours to fix. In Flex's defense, it doesn't just mess up Flex software.  I work in IT at an accounting firm and I cringe every time there is a Windows 10 feature update.  The updates mess up the print to Adobe device driver in one of our tax programs.  It's not as bad as it was a year or so ago but I still have computers that I need to reinstall the tax software after a feature update.  
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Yeah, Flex is as much a victim as we are. In the past year, I've had a network Laserjet Printer that used to work, but a W10 upgrade killed the driver, and there was no new driver available. Gotta print from my Mac.  Last night, I found my adapter to program HTs with Chirp was killed as well. No new W10 driver available. I guess I'll use Chirp on my Mac. 
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Hi Peter,

A better option is if you can get a Windows 7 machine. Since Microsoft doesn't update it except under great duress. your machine will remain functional, and operable, as a computer should. 
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    What I would really like is a reason from Flex explaining why Flex will not do this. It has to be a headache for them as well to have these beautiful and top notch machines have most of it's users dreading updates. As Windows 10 is the weak link in the chain, the machines are only as reliable as a Windows update. Which is to say, a real gamble. 
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Hi Peter, I forgot to add that the 7610 has issues of it's own, like screen problems that if like most modern components, will become unobtanium. I wouldn't buy another of those myself.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.