Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Windows update heads up

2»

Comments

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    In Windows 10 Rob? Microsoft disagrees with you.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    just a thought, would you prefer it if Microsoft just let security threats go and not do updates at all?

So I guess it comes down to
    a) are you comfortable knowing there is a security hole allowing attackers to gain access and possibly monitor you for CC data?  or
    b) deal with the inconvenience of updates that may disrupt other programs on your PC?

Last update fixed the following:
    • Improved security for CSRSS to address security feature bypass.

• Fixed additional security issues with Security Account Manager Remote Protocol, HTTP.sys, secondary logon, Microsoft Graphics component, .NET Framework, CSRSS, Microsoft Edge, and Internet Explorer 11.

Personally... I'll deal with having to uninstall and reinstall of some programs.

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Agreed. I prefer to stay up to date for security as well as stability and performance improvements.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Ugh, I was forced into a Vista support for a group that just knew that a Vista Basic computer system was what they needed. It was as bad as 8, well actually worse in many ways, since the machines were not actually capable of running even the stripped down version.  

As for using Linux, most of my computers are - or using OS X, another Unix based OS. If it wasn't for SmartSDR, I'd not have to run any MS platforms at all. 

And if people knew just how much I hated Windows, they'd understand just how much I love these FlexRadios. It's like putting up with an abusive relationship.

Now if someone would just run with a Linux version of SmartSDR........
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Mike, pls send me (via arrl) your email.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    You offer that security means versus wrecking the system as the choices. I kind of understand that Windows users are used to this sort of thing.  I've got computers running that haven't had one update issue ever. Nothing breaks.

Which is why I have computers that I fix, and I have computers I use because they don't need constant fixing. 

I've had this discussion with emcomm people all the time as a technical advisor. If an emergency happens, and you find out your computer has been hosed by an update the night before, is that an okay thing to be out of commission?

Some have tried to use XP, but if you are in an EC, many won't allow anything less than Vista on their networks. 

I do have one W10 network that is pretty reliable, It's got about two miles of air gap. My ultimate conrol of updates, although it does get peeved at me frmo time to time regarding the air gap.  The real pity is that aside for the update problem and the telemetry issues, W10 is actually a decent OS.

So I don't care if they do updates every night, as long as I have confidence they won't wreck my system. And It isn't an either/or situation. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.