Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Windows Firewall Will Not Allow DAX Data Thru

Alan
Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2019 in DAX
Windows 10 updated last night.  Today, trying to connect DAX to Maestro, DAX reports there is a firewall issue not allowing the data to get through.  It appears that DAX is connected.

The Maestro and the Windows PC are on the same Local Area Network.  This is the first time having a firewall problem after one year of trouble-free DAX operation.

Smart SDR version 3.1.8 was installed Friday and there were no DAX issues following the upgrade.  Appears to coincide with a Windows upgrade Saturday night.

Need suggestions on how to get data through the firewall.  I did turn off Windows Defender off, and the DAX data continued to be blocked.

Here is a screenshot of the DAX message:

Here is a screenshot of the Windows Version:

Thanks.

Alan
WA9WUD

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited October 2019
    I would try the following things.

• check and make sure the NIC card on the PC has not been set to Public 
    • Did you check the status of your firewall?  Microsoft has a habit of turning it on.
    Mike
  • Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thanks, Mike

NIC Card was "Public".  I changed it to "Private":

The firewall on, I turned everything off  (firewall was always on before and allowed DAX / Data thru):

Same result with DAX.  DAX is connected to the Maestro Slice, but says Data is blocked by firewall??

Time now for a ticket?

Alan
  • Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Ummmmmm.

I tried connecting another PC DAX too the Maestro.  The same problem, DAX says a firewall is blocking data.

Then, I tried to connect DAX on the same PC running Smart SDR 3.1.8 to 3.1.8 DAX on the same PC.  Same firewall message from DAX saying data was blocked.....so, not a firewall problem??

Downgraded everything to SDR 3.1.7.  On the W10 PC, I restored the firewalls.  Started up, Maestro. Started up DAX on the W10 PC with 3.1.7 DAX then the Windows firewall asked if it was OK to let DAX through the firewall.  I said yes.  Connected the PC DAX to the Maestro using SDR3.1.7......success!

Upgraded again to SDR3.1.8. with firewalls.  Everything works!  DAX connects just fine.

Something changed with the W10 update last night that SDR 3.1.8 DAX did not like!  Downgrading and upgrading back seem to have addressed the issue.

Alan

• Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Windows 10 is a journey down a Stochastic rabbit hole. I found my audio problem after an update left me without audio in WSJT-X. The DAX  Audio settings were changed in WSJT-X. Either switched to mono from left, or vice versa.  All my other soundcard programs worked FB after the update.

Annoying part was that there were two ATNO's I was trying to work when I found the update problem had left me soundless.

It's just like the cool old British sports cars with their dodgy Lucas Electrics. You never know what is going to let you sitting by the side of the road, but you know it is going to happen.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited October 2019
    Hi Alan

Did you check to see if the firewall was on or off for local networks?  It sounds like it was on based on your comments and then when you allowed it, the firewall created a rule that allowed DAX to work.  

That is when when you upgraded back to 3.1.8 it still worked as you allowed for an exception rule to be generated.

Mike

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Firewall was on.

Yes, I believe some way, the windows upgrade removed the firewall rule.  When I downgraded SDR, windows asked permission to reinstall the rule for DAX.

Then, I again upgraded SDR.  All good. 

Alan
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Morel of this story you now don't have to rename your DAX drivers following a feature update, you now have to fix the firewall issues. LOL.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭

I have the same issue with the latest 3.4.21 package. It appears to be the identical description as shown above, private network, NO DAX streaming, no firewall setup, DAX is listed as permitting audio in windows. It worked last weekend with RTTY contest prior to upgrading software.

• Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭

Yup, I had to go into the rules and change some stuff around - a real pity that Windows blocks a lot of legit stuff, but malware and virii? "Come on in bros - make yourself at home!😀

• David
    David Member ✭✭

I found it necessary to delete all versions of SDR on the computer and reinstall the latest 3.4.21 and it now works properly (again).

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.