Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Windows 8 and SmartSDR losing connection

James Kennedy-WU5E
James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

SmartSDR will lose connection to the radio under Windows 8 if the SmartSDR is not minimized. Anyone see this condition?

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I think you mean "is minimized," right? No problem here (Windows 8.1).
  • ai6re
    ai6re Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I have had the same experience on Windows 8.1 with SSDR lost connection while it is not minimized but not the currently focused window. I think Windows 8.1 treats tasks differently as CW Skimmer no longer functions on Windows 8.1. It fail to get serviced by the system in time to function correctly.
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    So to maintain radio connection you must minimize Ssdr? If that's the case how do you even know if it's running?  8.1 here. Works great.
  • Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    8.1 runs fine here as well. No apparent problems even when running MacLoggerDX or DXLabs suite simultaneously. 
  • ai6re
    ai6re Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    My SSDR works fine on 8.1 as long as I am checking the window from time to time. If I leave it running and the window is open in the background it will suddenly get disconnected after something more than 30 minutes. I usually click on the SSDR window more often than 30 minutes so most of the time it is not a problem. If it does lose the connection re selecting the radio and it will restart.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    You could probably solve this by disabling ALL power management so that Windows always runs. Your HDD is probably spinning down after a period of inactivity. 

Jon...kf2e

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Good idea Jon. It just occurred to me that I use a separate monitor for SSDR and never need to minimize.
  • Dudley-WA5QPZ
    Dudley-WA5QPZ Inactive Employee
    edited December 2018
    Jim,

You may want to turn this into a Help Desk question.. 

Make sure your Windows is up todate

Check that the Startup tab in the Radio Setup menu,  says,   "GPU Capability: Maxumum Graphics Acceleration"  if not change your graphics settings,  to prove this minimize the waterfall,  SmatSDR is very graphic intensive . 

Set you Power Options to "High Performance" 

Laptops are usually pretty graphic/performance challeneged verses a desktop. 

• James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

THANKS MY Windows 7 Desktop will be back tomorrow. Now I know I need a more powerful laptop.

Jim

WU5E

• Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Windows 8.1 with no such issue.
    Look elsewhere for the problem I have ran the 6300, 6500 @ 6700.

Good luck Ian
  • Rob - AG6RK
    Rob - AG6RK Member
    edited March 2015
    This disconnect happens to me in a random pattern and I'm running Windows 7 with all current updates, system disk is an SSD, and no power saving enables in Win7 except for turning off monitor after 5 min's of inactivity. About half the time it disconnects, need to power cycle the 6500. Hopefully this is fixed in V1.4
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    SSDR says "GPU Capability: Maxumum Graphics Acceleration"  when used with my laptop's integrated graphics card and runs maxed out without issue. It's an Intel 3000 HD which I do not think is known for its 3D grunt, hi hi.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I have the exact same random disconnects with Win 7, an SSD disk and power management turned off here as well Rob.  Usually no other external activity except leaving it and other Ham programs left open and running.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.