Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Windows 7 to windows 10

2»

Answers

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    There are literally hundreds if not thousands of different combinations of hardware and software installed on Flex users computers.  Inel CPU's, AMD CPU's, different RAM manufactures, hard to tell what combo causes issues.  I run an old ASROCK  Z97 Extreme 4 (Intel i7)  mobo from 2014 with no issues with SSDR, DAX, etc. 

Does Flex have a diagnostic tool that can gather log data from SSDR problems or a BSOD crash ?

Microsoft has a tool to analyze a BSOD.

Perhaps we can get a handle of what causes some of these problems by examining users PC event logs ?
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Just a bit off topic, Question.. It is my understanding that Smart SDR along with Slice Master or Stacker will show SPOTS on your laptop computer screen... Got That and it works fine... 
    But a few months back I was reading about that the 6600M screen itself can in fact also show SPOTS on its screen???? I dont think this is true, but wanted to ask the group if that is or isn't true???

Thanks
    Robert
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Open the "Spots" tab on the 6600M's menu.  Then "Enable" spots.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Neil,, I did that before and Nothing Happens??? Radio is connected to the Internet! That is what tempted me to ask the question again..
    Running 2.6.1
    ???????

Robert
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    edited October 2019
    Robert,

6600M, like SSDR on a PC, won't show spots running by itself.  You have Slicemaster running, along with DAX and CAT??
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Correct.. Everything works fine when running SmartSDR on my windows 10 laptop, with Slicemaster running, all OK.. Spots show up on my Laptop Screen,,  So are you saying you can not get SPOTS to show up on the 6600M screen??? That is what I am not clear about? 
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    edited October 2019
    Yes, spots should show up on the 6600M's screen when the auxiliary software is running and spots are enabled in the 6600M's menu.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    OK, So I do not actually connect SSDR to the 6600M, but just launch the application itself.. OK, I think I know what to try.. I need to upgrade my SSDR to 2.6.1, have done the radio but need to do it to the laptop!!
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    OK thanks Neil,,, Now it is working!!! In the past,  Every time I loaded SSDR, I had it take control of the radio... But this time I loaded SSDR, Loaded Stacker software and it all worked... Never tried this but the spots are showing up on the 6600M screen.. Funny how I learned something new after over a year!! Community comes through again!!! :-)
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Looks good after I made some adjustments to the font size and positions..

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    SO one more question to all you smart people.. What do I need to do when I am on the air so that my call sign will show up in the remote stations spot list? If I am running SSDR in the background like I am, and I TX the radio from the radio itself, does Stackers know who I am and will also know that I am transmitting on say 14.325, and Auto Send my call and frequency to the SPOT Server and that is it??? Seems like the way it would work??
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Erica- to be certain, I've just been told I'm not a computer person. Apparently I haven't been one since 1979. Just don't tell the people I'm working for - they think I'm an expert on Windows, Linux and MacOS.  8^) 

I fear my standard is I want the computer to work after an update. My Macs do, My Linux machines do. Windows 10? I look at a lot of W10 problems on a lot of computers. 

I have a W7 install in Bootcamp on my Mac, as well as DogPark. Why? Because I know when I boot either, it will work.

I also have an Enterprise W10. It works. Multiple copies? Worth it.

And I'm not really trying to hate on W10. 

I think that one of the best features of the legacy radios is that you flip the On switch, and they start.

With the Flex and W10, you flip the switch, and it might start, but then again, it might not.

I'm just here to apply gentle pressure to either solve the problems, or better yet, write SSDR for Linux. Then I can have my concept of reliability, and the folks who enjoy W10 can continue doing what they do.

• Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Hi Joe - at one time I tried to get a database going from the event logs, but no one was interested. 
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019

Here ya go - still running in an auto shop
    Sauce - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP_eHam2cOA
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited October 2019
    I would have to counter what Mike said above.

My MACbook Pro Retina ($2200 US$ new when I got it in July 2017) that I use for work (sales) is by far the most problematic Computer I have ever used.  By far.  Last Monday you all almost saw a video of me running it over with the truck.  But, I refrained as it does not belong to me and my boss would have been very unhappy with me.  :)  
    • Some days apps start but disappear not be found on the MAC desktop
    • Some days sleep works correctly and some days the battery just dies (new battery installed - no difference) $300
    • Some days the camera disappears - I have to reset the NVRAM to get it back - hardware call $300 to check
    • Thunderbolt port failed - twice.  Apple wants $1400 to replaced the motherboard.  My 'guy' charged me $350 to repair it (he is amazing)
    • Some days there are no sound devices, some days there are
    I am equally well versed in using all desktops, Windows, MAC and Linux.  I use then all every day.  However, I would not drink the Koolaid that says that Mac is better.  It is just different and has its own set of issues.

By far, my most stable Desktop and Laptop is my Windows 10 Pro.  The only issues I sometimes have are related to Greenshot not always working.

I am on my radio every day, and not just for work, but for play.   There is no way I would go back to Win 7 or 8.  10 is certainly more efficient.

I run Win 10 Pro on my remote base.  It goes MONTHS without being touched (all winter).  I don't hack at it, I just use it the way it came with the software I need and the AV that Microsoft provides.  I turn off the firewall and beyond that, I leave it alone.  I even do software updates.  BAM.  99.9% uptime (if not more).  :)

If you are watching on the side here and trying to make an informed decision, just remember, 90% more people complain online than say it is working fine for me.  Whatever you read, divide by a factor of 10 or so.  Maybe more.  And, if you don't believe me, look at your past posting (on anything) over the past years.  What did you do?

73 all and do what works for you.  :)

Mike va3mw

• Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    After all of this conversation about Win 10 I have decided that I should try it. However, what do I buy? My PC and my laptop both run win 7 at present. Do I spend $150+ for a version of W10 that may not work because of the age of the MOBO or do I just bite the bullet and buy a new PC for the shack?
    Question, What are the basic requirements for a computer that will run Win 10 and not have problems with DAX, CAT and the many other things that it will be used for?
    This is not a top priority at this time but I sure would like know what to shop for.
    Thanks for any and all suggestions.
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I'll just bow out of the conversation here, and let more knowledgable people steer you in the right direction Andy. Sorry if I have confused the issue.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Anyone can answer my question here????

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    The spots are pulled from an Internet source so someone would have to spot you.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I am not quite sure what you mean Geoff...Are you saying someone who is also using spots, would have to place their VFO on my signal??
  • W7NIK
    W7NIK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Thank you for all the Information , I think i have some ideas . lets end this question for today :) 
  • W7NIK
    W7NIK Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I am doing all the updates  for win 10 64 bit ,  upgraded my memory  to 16 gb , AMD dual , 2.6 ghz  . then i am installing SmartSDR  etc .  and live wildly . 
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Nick, I'm one of the followers of this thread and have been doing so with interest as I am in the same boat. Do I upgrade my working Win7 to 10 or not? Thanks for bringing the issue up and I appreciate the replies from the others about this. From time to time I see offers for a free Win10 upgrade from earlier versions. Don't know if it still holds true but if you decide to take the leap you may wish to google that. Good luck with it.
  • W7NIK
    W7NIK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I did purchase the software $35 at place called appsuite .  Free you get what you pay for my just my idea. I will be a Pacficon  San ramon  at the flex booth for 16 hours straight :) Lookout flex :) 
  • caravanken
    caravanken Member
    edited October 2019
    Robert - I have chased this to the bottom and all I can say is all the above is true. Some have issues with upgrades in W10, some don't (that includes me), some have W10 Home some Pro, some have very old stuff, some very new.  The one thing for sure I would do is make an image of what you have now and put it away.  Then no matter what you do or what goes wrong, you have a for sure place to go back to. I use Macrium before any updates.  Side note about W10 Updates.  You do have some control on when it updates, but you do have to update.
    GL 73
    Ken
  • Ronald Bloss
    Ronald Bloss Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    You can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free.  Whether you get pro or home depends on what version Windows 7 is.  But, you can upgrade it with 10 and you will get a free digital license for that version.  Then, if you want to do a fresh install, just wipe the machine and do the 10 install, it will still be licensed.  Of course if you have home and want pro then you will have to pony up for that upgrade.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    UPDATE:
    The Refurb I7 is an excellent machine, really liking it BUT......
    An issue I have run into is the preinstalled OS, it was working perfectly UNTIL twice now after installing peripheral cards Com, wireless, etc the OS takes exception to the driver install process and long story short first the DAX drivers were **** up now I can no longer even log in to the machine.  Dunno what the scheme is with preinstalled OS but I'm not having it.
    ENOUGH!!!!
    I ordered a WIN 10 install DVD 64bit, etc and will do a fresh install as I have since Win 3.1....Heck DOS 3, 4, 5, 6...

Here is something else I am REALLY considering!

Pick up a Hard drive duplicator cheap and a couple extra 240GB hard drives equally cheap.
    Then get my computer working perfectly and clone the **** drive so if I have any issue just prior to the contest or anytime for that matter I just slip a fresh drive in.
    Yah I know the updates won't be current, considering the lack of aggravation I think I'm time and aggravation ahead of the game at this point.  Needless to say this really torqued me off, constantly installing software and correcting Win 10 BS is for the birds!

Update to this update:
    Just ordered the duplicator, convinced myself during the first update.
    DONE! CQ Contest!!!
  • Mark  K1LSB
    Mark K1LSB Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    To argue that Windows 10 (or any other software) is not secure simply because there are frequent security updates is rather specious. The reason for frequent updates is because there are constantly new attack vectors being released by the bad guys. Heck, just ask Norton, Avast, Kaspersky or McAfee about that. They also have security updates all the time.
    To recommend Windows 7 as the best route is to invite the OP to quickly get left behind.
    This is my own opinion.
  • > @W7NIK said:
    > I am about to upgrade my computer. Should upgrade to windows 10 , pro or home edition.? I have read a lot problems with windows 10 and flex , can I get some suggestions , procedures ideas , , I have a flex 6300 with 2.61 software. What is everyone using for operating systems

Hey, you can go with windows 10 pro edition there are no such problems. I used windows 10 for a long time and found no issue in it. Now I am using windows 11 which is much better than windows 10 you can also go with windows 11 if you want.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

I have ran WIN11 (upgrade from WIN PRO 10) on both my Station Computer and my Laptop computer for quite a while now . BOTH Computers work well, Most of the stuff you read about differant operating systems is when they were still early in there development and one they stop screwing with the Driver updates for COM and Audio drivers.

I now only do the security updates to WIN11 and try to filter out the other things just make sure ALL the updates are done before installing SmartSDR.

If you put WIN10PRO on it again MAKE SURE ALL UPDATES are installed before you install PowerSDR.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.