Windows 10 Upgrade - Should I Uninstall SmartSDR First?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • (Edited)
With the impending upgrade for many of you to Windows 10, the following "best practice" may result in a more positive upgrade experience related to running SmartSDR.  For those who have been involved with the Microsoft Insiders program running the various technical previews of Windows 10, you have probably experienced the situation where after an upgrade, programs that rely on kernel mode drivers we provide with the SmartSDR ecosystem do not work properly.  In most cases, a simple reinstall of SmartSDR for Windows corrects the issue.  Other times, it doesn't.  While in general the Windows 10 "upgrade" process has been better than with previous operating systems (which has been notoriously bad), there is an opportunity for a "dirty" upgrade.

As a best practice, you may elect to completely remove the SmartSDR ecosystem from your PC before upgrading to Windows 10 and then reinstall it fresh after the upgrade.  The following HelpDesk article, outlines a procedure for doing a complete removal of SmartSDR from your PC

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204975589-How-to-do-a-Complete-uninstall-of-SmartSD...
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Richard McClelland, AA5S

Richard McClelland, AA5S

• 296 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Do you recommend the same procedure for Power SDR users as well? 
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
Yes, but the procedure is different.  I haven't finished that yet.
Photo of Richard McClelland, AA5S

Richard McClelland, AA5S

• 296 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
No rush, I won't be upgrading my OS anytime soon :-)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
<BIG GRIN>