Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

windows 10 update vs. DAX, new problem, crash

Neal Pollack, N6YFM
Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
edited September 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am running windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, and SmartSDR 2.4.9.
This week's Windows 10 Update caused DAX failure yet again, just after I fixed it
2 weeks ago from another update.

So, I closed all programs, and used Tim's procedure here again;
https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204017069-How-to-Manually-Re-Install-DAX-Drivers?_g...

But this time, after reboot, when trying to start DAX or when trying to open the windows
sound dialogue box and select properties to look at a dax configuration, Windows will
crash with the following;

PAGE FAULT IN NON-PAGED AREA.
PORTCLS.SYS

After that happened two times, I ran hardware memory tests overnight.
I ran SFC /SCANNOW
I ran CHKDSK.
No issues.
I ran Lenovo's Hardware test suite and CPU stress test.  No problem.

Any ideas what to do next?
Flex, keep saying this is microsofts problem, but at the rate this is
happening, you are going to need to "code around their bug".
This is getting too frequent to live with.

Neal

Comments

• James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited December 2018
    Switch to Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB and stop getting those pesky feature updates. Stableize the OS
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited December 2018
    Very Helpful

Not!
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited December 2018
    That's irrelevant to my problem.
    The link talks about users having problems with Intel Display driver audio.
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited December 2018
    That sounds interesting.
    Can a public home user do that?  Sounds like an option
    reserved for corporate networks and accounts?
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

It is very easy to forestall updates until the dust clears. It is a simple matter to change the adapter settings (both wireless and wired adapters) to metered. When in the metered mode you have to manually download the updates.

Jim, K6QE
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited December 2018
    I like Jim's idea best and easier. I have done this and it works great. And free
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Neal Have you tried rolling back windows?

I found it interesting that similar errors that I found when I searched pointed fingers at Virtual Audio Cable (not that that helps much).

Mike
  • Tom Worthington
    Tom Worthington Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I was successful in getting everything working with the 1809 Windows update.  After it failed to install I removed the Flex software and drivers, then the update installed.  I re-installed the Flex software.
    However, Windows reset the microphone privacy setting so nothing worked properly until I changed the settings back to allow applications to take control of the microphone.  By the time I had remembered about the privacy setting I had removed and re-installed the DAX driver but I don't know that that was necessary.  Doing that got me DAX receive but transmit still did not seem to work from WSJT-x.  I loaded FLDigi and that seemed to transmit fine.  Then I went back to WSJT-x and it worked.  I have no idea what got it to work but now everything seems to be running just fine.  Not the first time I've spent a few hours doing a Windows update.  GL and Aloha, NH6Y
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited February 2019
    Michael:

Thanks.   No, did not roll back.   I was finally able to get the thing stable and working
    after three tries of DAX uninstall/reinstall, plus reboots.  So I have been doing FT8
    QSO's for the last 30 minutes on windows 10 build 1809 with dec 2018 cummulative
    updates.

I get frustrated, but I don't give up until I **** it.   Persistent like a termite....

What are we going to do about MickeySoft?  A couple times a month when I 
    think I have an hour free to go play radio and make some contacts, instead
    I end up spending 2 hours fixing what MS broke.
    I work for a large computer manufacturer (that runs Linux, not windows), on 
    server hardware that we build.    We got tired of trying to convince Intel or
    AMI that they were doing stuff wrong in firmware, so we coded work-arounds
    for THEIR bugs into OUR software.   We no longer trip over their ****.
    We stopped wasting time on THEIR problems.

You guys need to think outside the box, and create a way for smartSDR/DAX
    to detect the repeating corruption that is happening to their audio devices,
    and clean it up.  Don't wait for MS to fix their updates, we will all die first.

For example, you could have DAX, when starting up, verify that DAX Audio "devices"
    match what they should, and do not have the name mangling.   If they do, then instead
    of starting DAX, pop up a dialog box informing the user that we detected corruption,
    and want their premission to run a fix script that essentially does what Tim's web page
    says.  It then can prompt the user to reboot.   Saves a TON of time trying to google,
    read the web page, manually copy and past for a half hour, etc.
    AUTOMATE.    If a customer problem is happening over and over and over,
    AUTOMATE!    It is the only way to cool the customers and also avoid spending
    all your profit helping customers with the same problem over and over and over....

By the way, if you want an example of taking Tim's web page for uninstalling
    and reinstalling DAX, and making it into a simple windows batch file,
    I can provide that.  I am not a great programmer, but you can get the
    general idea of how much time you can save, and you can clean it up
    and fix nits as desired.

Cheers,

Neal
    N6YFM

=====================================================

FILE:   FIX-DAX.BAT

REM ====================================================================
    REM  FIX Flex DAX by uninstall and re-install
    REM  [  This still needs a little work from someone more experienced... ]
    REM   N6YFM -   PUBLIC DOMAIN, USE IT, FIX IT, DISTRIBUTE, COPY, SHARE

SET version="SmartSDR v2.4.9"
    CD ""Program Files"""FlexRadio Systems"%version%""64-bit Drivers"
    echo %cd%

ECHO  "++ Uninstalling DAX IQ Drivers...."

CD IQ_DAX
    CALL SmartSDR_IQ_DAX_uninstall.bat
    ECHO "REVIEW ABOVE RESULT AND THEN HIT ANY KEY TO CONTINUE:"
    TIMEOUT /T -1
    CALL SmartSDR_IQ_DAX_install.bat
    TIMEOUT /T -1

ECHO "++ Next, Uninstalling DAX RX Drivers...."
    CD ..RXAudio_DAX
    ECHO %CD%
    ECHO "If above DIR is correct HIT ANY KEY TO CONTINUE with Un-Install:"
    TIMEOUT /T -1
    CALL SmartSDR_RX_DAX_uninstall.bat
    ECHO "REVIEW RESULT AND THEN HIT ANY KEY TO CONTINUE to Re-install:"
    TIMEOUT /T -1
    CALL SmartSDR_RX_DAX_install.bat
    TIMEOUT /T -1

ECHO "++ Next, Uninstalling DAX TX Drivers...."
    CD ..TXAudio_DAX
    ECHO %CD%
    TIMEOUT /T -1
    CALL SmartSDR_TX_DAX_uninstall.bat
    ECHO "REVIEW RESULT AND THEN HIT ANY KEY TO CONTINUE to Re-install:"
    TIMEOUT /T -1
    CALL SmartSDR_TX_DAX_install.bat
    TIMEOUT /T -1

ECHO "++ Next, Uninstalling DAX MICAUDIO Drivers...."
    CD ..MICAudio_DAX
    ECHO %CD%
    TIMEOUT /T -1
    CALL SmartSDR_MICAUDIO_DAX_uninstall.bat
    ECHO "REVIEW ABOVE RESULT AND THEN HIT ANY KEY TO CONTINUE to Re-install:"
    TIMEOUT /T -1
    CALL SmartSDR_MICAUDIO_DAX_install.bat
    TIMEOUT /T -1
    ECHO ==================================================================
    ECHO " YOU MUST REBOOT THE COMPUTER NOW, BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE "
    ECHO ==================================================================
    TIMEOUT /T -1
    EXIT
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    "AUTOMATE.    If a customer problem is happening over and over and over,
    AUTOMATE!    It is the only way to cool the customers and also avoid spending
    all your profit helping customers with the same problem over and over and over...."

Neal, as a software developer for 35 years I want to say that you have the correct approach.

I'm still on 8.1 and cannot upgrade this computer for work related reasons that I will not go into.

After a few post exchanges with FRS this week I decided to get a Win10 computer dedicated solely for SSDR. However, with the continued problems with W10 updates and their impact on 2.4.9 I changed my mind and will hold off until these are addressed. As I see it the solution must come from FRS as MS doesn't give a hoot about some ham's having problems with their updates and the updates will go on and on.

I use my 6700 every day. I find it a great coping mechanism to help deal with the passing of my wife. I would hate to upgrade to W10 just to then have to repeatedly deal with the issue you are experiencing. I hope FRS comes up with a solution

• James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited December 2018
    I **** and restart dax though win task scheduler.
  • Ray - K6LJ
    Ray - K6LJ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019

Hi
    For what it's worth I have had this issue several times since installing windows 10. Each time  it involves several hours to resolve. This time I was frustrated and submitted a help desk ticket and Tim logged on to my computer and renamed the DAX driver names and fixed the issue in about 15 minutes. They can be renamed from the bottom pics.

Tim indicates that the issue is different each time however for me it is always about the Dax driver names getting **** up.

The left side shows the messed up result after removing SDR, Reboot, installing Updates, reboot, Installing SDR. This time I carefully went thru comparing the names and found 6 names messed up. the green are good the red are bad. being careful to associate the misnamed driver to the correct name will take a bit of practice.

Of course Tim did it much faster as he has seen this before. Easier just to have Tim login ad fix it.

One way to keep this from happening automatically is to setup the computer to only update if you click on the update link. This can be done from the you tube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiajtOxKCbg

However then you don't get the updates. I also did a restore point first that brought me back to an operable condition until I just decided to get Tim's help. (better choice).

Tim has said they are working with MS to resolve. Hope this helps. Best way is to Call Uncle Tim.

• Ed Stallman
    Ed Stallman Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    My Flex radio has not worked corecty since 12/17/2018 after buying a new windows 10 computer . Did the windows update to 1809 , loaded SSDR and now I'm doing every possible fix I can read about . Did the Tim dax un / reinstall many times .. Eric from FRS logged into my computer and was unable to make any dax repair . Here is a copy and paste from Eric at FRS
    "It looks like a function of the automatic tuning that SliceMaster does in CWSkimmer is causing the signal to appear to be wrapped around as it is setting the local oscillator to non-zero on the incoming DAX IQ signal. "
    My 6600 works as long as I do not use DAX , Dax also gives me ghost inages on FT8 ... FRS tells me they don't support 3ed party software but are happy to help when they can .
    Ed N5DG

• Ed Stallman
    Ed Stallman Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I forgot to menition , I do like the 6600 when all is work properly but being down for a week is a little much
    Ed
  • Tom    N5MOA
    Tom N5MOA Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    My DAX was hosed after this update also. I always close anything SSDR related before updating, still got **** up DAX.

I ran IOBit Unstaller, removed everything SSDR. Answered NO if I wanted to keep DAX drivers.

Installed SSDR V2.4.9

Dax still not working.

Ran Tim's procedure noted above https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204017069-How-to-Manually-Re-Install-DAX-Drivers?_g...

Changed the default sound cards.

The second time  uninstalling/installing DAX drivers worked.

Then I changed my connection back to" metered" and will probably never update again.

73, Tom
    N5MOA

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Neal thanks for the batch file.  This has been on my list of things to do and have not got around it it.  I have always been surprised that Flex does not have a DAX recovery tool in EXE format on their site to accomplish this.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.