Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Windows 10 Update Version 1809 , anyone using this build ?

Ed Stallman
Ed Stallman Member ✭✭
I  would like to know if anyone is using the W10 1809 build releasted Dec. 17, 2018? Just by shear luck I built a new faster computer on this date ! I install W10 64 bit , I wanted to be sure I had all the latest windows updates before installing SSDR and other SW . I click on (check for updates) and version 1809 installs .  I had no idea the problems I was in for . I did a clean install of W10 on a 3 year old W7 computer to see if I could duplicate the problems. Did all the same things as I say above and had all the same problems ! The problem was , MME drivers work but have ghost images in  CWSkimmer . WDM drivers work but the waterfall on SSDR and CWSkimmer looked as if I had QRN . YES I did Tim's DAX uninstall and reinstall several times .
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history
Back to W7 I go and and where I will stay.

Below is a copy and past form the Microsoft Support Page

Rollout Status as of December 17, 2018: Windows 10, version 1809, is now fully available for advanced users who manually select “Check for updates” via Windows Update.

I am not an Advanced user, Bull Headed YES

Happy Holidays, Ed N5DG

Answers

• Mark NS9N
    Mark NS9N Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi Ed, I can tell you that it took 7 hours to clean up the 1809 mess on my computer. And just a note to say Flex Dax drivers are not the only ones that Windows is messing with. Microsoft does not discriminate hihi. I had to completely uninstall 2.4.9 from the computer. Then used CC Cleaner and three other registry cleaners to go into the registry and clean out anything labeled Flex. Each cleaner found more, go figure. Reinstalled 2.4.9 and sure enough the DAX files were still labeled wrong. So much for finding everything in the registry. Spent the time to relabel the DAX file names per the instruction found in other places on this forum. Then when I rebooted the computer and opened SDR, I got the DAX Driver error screen. Others have had this issue as well. So one last step was needed. Used Tim's Oct 6th instructions to remove and reinstall the DAX drivers. My thoughts were if the names were right Tim's instructions would make sure they were removed correctly and reinstalled correctly. If they are labeled wrong I don't think they are all removed. BINGO all is working perfectly with Dec 1809 window 10 update. When, notice I did not say if, this happens again I will try a two step process and maybe this work for you. Change the DAX driver names, then uninstall and reinstall them. Maybe this is the shortest method and maybe don't have to clean the registry? Happy New Year, mark
  • Ed Stallman
    Ed Stallman Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Tnx reply Mark , Do you use or have you tried CWSkimmer using MME drivers ? I tried this with Skimmer in stand alone , SDR Bridge and Slice Master with no luck . I have not tried renaming the Dax drivers . Eric at FRS was logged on to my computer for an hour with no fix ! I will look into renaming thr Dax drivers . Oh and I bought the Pro version of Revo uninstaller hoping to clean everythin up .
    Ed N5DG
  • Tom Worthington
    Tom Worthington Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I had to remove SmartSDR to get 1809 to install.  When I re-installed SmartSDR I had trouble with DAX but that may have been because 1809 reset the microphone privacy settings and I forgot to fix that.  By the time I remembered to fix the microphone privacy setting I had removed the drivers and re-installed them.  At that point I could receive using WSJT-x but transmit was still not working.  I tried running FLDigi and that worked.  After running FLDigi, WSJT-x also started working, I have not a clue as to what caused it to start working.  Everything seems to be working now...Maybe not as much of a pain as installing OS2 from a stack of 17 floppy disks but certainly not my favorite way to spend an afternoon.  GL and Aloha, NH6Y
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    This is exactly why I'm staying on 8.1 for now until all this is worked out.

I'm curious as to how many Flex owners are still on 7 or 8.1
  • Mark NS9N
    Mark NS9N Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Or just do what I am now going to do. Stop windows from doing any automatic updates period. I will determine when I will do an update and remove my Flex SW and drivers before I do the update. A bit of a pain but works. For sure don't accept any advanced builds. MICROSOFT is very clear about these advanced updates, if you load them you are part of the beta test group and anything goes. They want users to report issues but you are on your own to find ways to work around these issues. Expecting Flex or any other SW supplier to help you fix issues with advanced windows updates is unrealistic. Some computer users love this challenge but for the rest, stay with what works until it is proven not to mess things up. Believe me when I say this is only the beginning. SW is replacing HW in all electronic industries and our lives will never be the same. Yes, it is very easy to get fixes and updates with new features but it comes with a cost. But I think of this in the same way I did when I made a major change to the hardware in one of my old Radios, lot of hours of trouble shooting before things worked right. I also have not tried CW Skimmer. Ah that and FT8 should keep me busy when I retire and have some free time.
  • Gary F
    Gary F Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I updated last week on 2 PCs with no problems.
  • Gary F
    Gary F Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Yes, Miracles do happen.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Why does Win 10 Pro at this station claim to be up to date at version 1803 (April). I tried the update with  'Check for Updates' manually via the settings -> Windows Update.  The 1809 version has not been loaded.

For now, it seems best to stand pat at 1803 as 1809 improvements do not seem worth the risk as '03 is working fine with SmartSDR. This is more a curiosity. 

_..--
    k3Tim
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I also had to run RegEdit as Administrator and remove ALL the "fabutech" devices manually with the 1809 update and then reinstall SmartSDR to fix everything and get rid of all the **** the update Broke, none of the Registry editors or uninstallers worked to do this as they have in the past.
    took about 2 hours to complete but worked

of course your mileage WILL vary.

Bret
    WX7Y

• Mark NS9N
    Mark NS9N Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hi Tim, just thanks the Microsoft grurs for not updating your brand and model of computer yet. They sent out the patches and updates by some strange skeem just like the cell phone guys do. Don't be concern, just think how lucky you are to be later in the update pool. Now you have total control. Turn off automatic update tonight. Just don't update or if you decide to go for it, uninstall SDR with drivers first. Consider yourself the lucky one.
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I also updated two computers to 1809 with not problems...  One stand alone and one for my Flex usage.  I dont understand why some have problems, as never had any problems in any of the updates.  Do shut all Flex applications down before upgrading..

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi Mark,
    Thanks for the information; it was very curious and your answer is clear and good advise....

Best Regards + HNY

k3Tim 
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    After reading these win 10 update issues for some time now, I have wondered if their was any rhyme or reason to why some have issues and others don't such as fresh win 10 installs compared to upgrades from older operating systems. I am running two identical dell XPS 8930 that came new with windows 10 home, I didn't have any issues with the 1803 updates, so far its not my turn to get the 1809 updates yet. I think it would be worth while to mention your operating system history (original win 10 install or upgrade) to see if their is any coincidence to these issues.
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    My old Flex W10 Pro PC was an upgrade from W7 Pro, and my new XPS 8930 (love it!) came with W10 Pro.  One of the reasons I chose W10 Pro for the new PC is that it allows one to defer "feature" updates like major builds 1803 and 1809 for up to a year (BTW, that setting may be a reason that some users running W10 Pro have not seen 1809 yet - they won't see it if the setting to defer feature updates is set to "on"). 

When I'm good and ready to update to a new build I make one last image backup (which let one turn back the clock to when times were good in minutes if things go wrong). and go thru the SSDR uninstall drill.  The whole drill take less than an hour, including coffee breaks, so I don't mind doing this twice a year or so.  Have not had any Flex-related problems to date, although I did run into a few other  problems during and shortly after the switch from W7 to W10 on the old PC.  I learned from those  (-:  and no problems since. 

Howard
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Been updating my PC's during december, all fully updated with 1809. No issuses what so ever with 1809. Running SSDR 2.4.9, Slice Master 0.10.5e, WSJT-X 2.0, HRD 6, N1MM amongst others.

2 desktop PC's Win 10 Pro
    1 mini/media PC Win 10 Pro
    1 portabel PC Win 10 Pro
    1 portabel PC Win 10 Home

Some Intel, some AMD, all with minimum 8 GB RAM.

Before installing any Windows and/or SSDR updates I always shut down all software and services not needed to run. Never uninstalling anything pre Windows or SSDR Updates if release notes for any of my hamradio software don't say to do.

Been following this strategy since december 2017 when i had my Flex 6700 moving into my shack and almost 100% fault free. Have had issues with some functionality in SSDR, but never any major issues such as SSDR crashes or DAX and CAT errors.

Maybe should mention that during 2018 I have re-installed all PC's from scratch with Windows. No updates from previous versions of Windows. I always format harddrive and do clean installs of Windows when necessary.
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Same here
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Ed:said "" I did a clean install of W10 on a 3 year old W7 computer to see if I could duplicate the problems. "" 

My guess new computer built with windows 10 natively has less issues.

Just a guess if we could just get a survey going to prove it. :)

Windows 10 is now 3 years old btw.
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Because your using the Semi Annual Channel and the (Targeted Channel)  check under advance options in the update section.
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    same here - been no issues,  but as precautions I always do a full metal backup before updates, so if there every was its just a matter of point/click- chose restore and 10-12 minutes later I'm back exactly as I was before any update was applied, no reloading , no hassles. I am still surprised at how many complain and moan about updates breaking stuff and then they NEVER HAVE A FULL BACKUP!. I see it in businesses as well as a MSSP and SAS service provider  I can tell you there are many ways to do them, Automated as in you don't have to do a **** thing other then leave the PC on, and manual, lots of options, Macrium reflect is very good, as is CloudBerry managed services.
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Larry Been using win 10 Beta as part of the testing group since it was  available, Also I rolled from 7-8.0-8.1-10 on same system currently build 1809, all hardware is my custom build, and haven't had an issue. I dont care for off the shelf store computers been building since mid 80 when 8088, VEC10- 8016 hardware was available, MUCH less BS with custom builds, no Bloatware or cheap components.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I brought my laptop to work this morning to run remote FT8 and noticed that I had no audio in WSJT-X.  I saw that DAX receive had a signal but not getting to the WSJT-X software.  I went to settings and noticed that 1809 had been installed a few days earlier.  I uninstalled SSDR and made sure DAX got uninstalled as well.  Rebooted and reinstalled SSDR and all is well now. 
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Installed and using it with no consequences.
  • Mark NS9N
    Mark NS9N Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I have both a computer with clean install, new computer out box and an update from windows 8. Both had the problem with 1809 update.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.