Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Windows 10 Update Strikes Again!

Cal  N3CAL
Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
OK I'll take one for the team!  Beware!

Microsoft strikes again with their latest Windows 10 Update today (8/4/2016)!   This time it's SmartSDR CAT.   (JTAlert 2.8.1 was actually removed by Windows 10 compatibility Assistant as well!)    I'll have to do the uninstall / reinstall of SSDR after work tonight.  Not enough time in the day to mess with this stuff.

73 de Cal/N3CAL

Comments

• Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Cal Sorry to hear about the ongoing Saga of updates both from Windows and Flex software. We signed up for a SDR and knew it wouldn't be easy but when its running right its performance is unmatched. Bestof luck Cal Ian
  • Chuck
    Chuck Member
    edited July 2017
    Pretty much the same thing here Cal, except my errors were mostly DAX. Tried the DAX driver uninstall/install with no joy. So using the W4MTE SSDR removal procedures and subsequent install it all worked out.
    A person has to allocate about 6 hours of their day it seems to sweep up the Win 10 mess. The Win10 update (Anniversary update) took me over two hours from start to finish.

Thanks for heads up on JT-Alert, will check it out today.
    Chuck/w9nwr
  • RFord
    RFord Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I have the same issue...
  • AE0MW
    AE0MW Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I uninstalled SmartSDR (Including DAX and FSP) prior to the Anniversary Update and then reinstalled it after the update. No problems at all.

I have 1 more PC to upgrade and I plan the same procedure and expect the same results.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Cal, there is a method to reset Win10. I read about it somewhere but can't remember where. In anycase it sounds like your problem is imbedded in a bad Windows configuration. I'm running Win10 with no problems.
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

This is the most surefire way to do it.  Takes the least time and effort.

Ned,  K1NJ
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I have converted this topic to a support HelpDesk ticket (http://helpdesk.flexradio.com) for expedited issue resolution.  If anyone else is experiencing an issue similar to this one, please submit a HelpDesk support ticket for issue resolution.
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Me too!  A total uninstall and reinstall sorted it for me.  It all appears to be working OK.  My JTAlertX v2.81 was left unharmed by the 'upgrade!'

David G4NRT
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Same for me too.

• KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited March 2017

Uninstalling the update or restoring to before the update occurred should work, then you can remove SmartSDR and install said update and reinstall SmartSDR.

I am actually considering going back to Windows 7 or 8.1 on my main machine at home. I'm not a fan of MS forcing Cortana down my throat.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
     I'm not a fan of MS forcing Cortana down my throat.

Neither will the Fortune 1000.  I suspect there will be a way to disable it.  Although it could be via a group policy or a reg hack.
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I did the WIN 10 upgrade today. I forced the
    situation by electing to install right away.
    But before I did, I shut down the radio and
    cat and dax.
    Upon completion of the update. I started things
    back up. Everything was fine till I ran RMS
    express. I could not get things to work. And
    the cat window showed error. The DAX window
    was fine.
    So I shutdown everything and also the power
    to the radio to reset the internal processors.
    I uninstalled 1.84, restarted the computer,
    re-installed 1.84, re-booted once more, and
    then started everything up. I had to put the
    settings for DAX back into RMS Express, but that
    was it. Tried it and everything was fine then.
    So I consider it a success. Some might disagree,
    this is my story and I'm sticking to it.

73, Jim N9VC

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Life is too Short to waste it debugging W10 All these issues continue to confirm my decision not to downgrade my 9 computers at home to W10 And so far no one has yet to present any real benefit for W10 If it ain't broken, why fix it.
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I was able to disable Cortana in the privacy settings
    plus removed it from the taskbar . I also disabled other
    *$#@ I wish to not have run.

73, Jim N9VC

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Windows 10 is fine with me. Much improved over Win 8 but what isnt.

Reinstalling Smart SDR after this anniversary update did fix my issues.

So just have a Davis weather station problem to resolve.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I didn't have to re-install SSDR v1.8.4.   Following Flex Support Advise all I had to do was repair the FlexVSP program.  Under installed programs you right click on FlexVSP and select repair.  Then after a reboot everything was back up and working!  I've even noticed JTAlert is actually still there and is working also....  A big thanks to Flex for their support once again! 

Cal/N3CAL
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016

Jim,

Was that in the Anniversary update? It's not even a setting in the version I'm using which I'll have to check tonight.

Tim,

agreed. If I ever roll out Windows 10 where I work, Group Policies will be used extensively. I don't see it happening for a long time however.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.