Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

windows 10 update oktober 2018

Erik SM0JCA
Erik SM0JCA Member
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have just got the Windows 10 update version october 2018 suggestion from Microsoft. It seems to include several new functions for managing pictures and visual content as well as connection with Android units and cloud.

I am inclined to make this update on my main PC in the shack that is also controlling my Flex 6400M with SmartSDR 2.4.9 and my photo software and pro grade printer.

I will completely uninstall SmartSDR with DAX and CAT as per instructions here before doing the Windows 10 upgrade.

I would appreciate any information of residual problems with SmartSDR after doing this upgrade of Windows 10 october 2018 release.

Erik SM0JCA

PS: After a wider search here I see that several issues already have been discussed. One remaning issue seems to be Slice Master for setting up CWSkimmer. I am using Slice Master on a daily basis for CW, FT8 and DM780 as well as N1MM and DX4WIN so I have concluded that I better stay away from the Windows 10, 1809 october 2018 upgrade.
I am very happy with the pletora of information on this community!
DS

Answers

• Oxford English
    Oxford English Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I think it depends on to many variables to be able to give you a 'yes' or 'no' answer to your question.

My experience has been to try a 'clean' install of Windows 10 and do a FULL update and then load SSDR V2.49. As far as I can tell it works perfectly.

However, I am lucky in that I have many computers to play with. For the Windows 10 install, I used a Gigabyte motherboard with an Intel I7 second generation CPU running at 3.2GHz, 16Mb Kingston RAM and an OCZ SSD drive.

The biggest problem in answering you question is what hardware you have and what software you consider essential for your day to day computer needs. 

Hard drives are cheap, you can easily pickup a 200Gb drive for less than 20$, to me it makes sense to buy a new drive and test out what I want to do with that drive. If it works, then great, if not then I haven't spent a great deal to find out and I have something that I can use as a testbed for the future.

HTH
    Tim
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019

I have three computers I recently updated to version 1809 all of which had SmartSDR installed. After the three upgrades, I noticed no problems at all. Perhaps I was lucky. I really like the features of the new upgrade.

Jim, K6QE
  • Jim  KJ3P
    Jim KJ3P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Erik,
    I allowed Win 10 Home to install 1809 update in mid-January, no problems.  Did not do the clean install or remove or reinstall SmartSDR or anything else special...I just let 'er rip!  All OK.

Flex-6600,  PC = i7-6700 @ 3.40GHz, ASUS MB, 16GB RAM

The key may be that I don't run any "helper" programs (CW Skimmer, etc), only digital modes such as WSJT-X and Fldigi.

--jim KJ3P

• Erik SM0JCA
    Erik SM0JCA Member
    edited May 2020
    Hi all!
    Thanks for the input.
    I have a Gigabyte motherboard with i7 processor, 32 GB RAM and 1 TB Samsung SSD plus a bunch of Raid HDDs and Geforce GTX 1060 video card plus two 27" monitors (one is 4k).
    I am using the MS Office package and Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop and doing some video editing with Pinnacle Studio Ultimate beside the ham radio package with SmartSDR, SliceMaster, DX4WIN, FT8, CWSkimmer, N1MM, FlDigi, MMTTY, HamRadio Deluxe. I am also building Wordpress homepages and doing administrative Exel pages for a community. My LAN is WiFi and PowerLine plugs to the router, WLAN is 100Mb/s fiber.
    I am mostly only running ham radio applications and surfing the net with Google Chrome while the other tasks are closed.

Presently the DAX is not working properly. I will do a clean uninstall and check Windows 10 1809 upgrade status and reinstall SmartSDR 2.4.9 this afternoon and hopefully be back in good order.

73 de Erik SM0JCA

• Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    No problems here but I only run HDR as an addd on.
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Erik. This is a well known issue after Windows upgrade. Please search the community for the fix. I had the same issue. The DAX labels get mixed up and cause issues. It’s easy to fix. Joe N3HEE
  • Ken AG2K
    Ken AG2K Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019

I have also did the upgrade on 3 computers with no issues.. I would never uninstall a program before doing an upgrade. The worse thing I've seen happen is DAX broke but there is a very simple procedure for reinstalling just the DAX drivers. takes about 10 mins at most.. It is definitely referenced in the community. If you need it let me know.
    Ken
    AG2K

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Before uninstalling / reinstalling SSDR may I suggest trying this procedure:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/most-common-fix-for-dax-driver-errors-in-windows-sp...

to simply update the DAX IQ channels to their expected names.

----

Upgrading to Windows 1809 caused a DAX driver error; uninstalling SSDR and DAX per:
    https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204017069-How-to-Manually-Re-Install-DAX-Drivers?_g...

did not help as the DAX IQ driver name always came back incorrectly. Instead an edit (per the first link) to make the update and in 5 minutes all was well.

Somewhere in the community postings someone mapped out the incorrect to correct names broken by 1809 but I can not find that post.

Good Luck...

_..--
    k3Tim
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Every update affects different computers differently. Some times no problems, sometimes an unholy mess. I had one recently that re-named all of my DAX drivers to DAX IQXX. XX being a number. Everything -  transmit and different channels. 
    The only thing I can think of that caused that was I was using MRP40 in IQ mode some time before that update, and Microsoft just knew I wanted all of them named and numbered exactly the same.
    That one took a helpdesk ticket to fix. Windows 10 is the gift that keeps on giving.
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
      Is this windows 10 problem unique to SSDR/DAX or is other non-Flex software being zapped
    as well?  Could some immunity be built in to version 3, for instance?  I'm staying with win 7 for
    as long as possible, but inevitably I know I'll have to fold and accept the win 10 fate.

Ned,  K1NJ

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Any device that uses its own drivers appears to suffer from this Windows 10 insult. Whether you have a sound studio or a 3D printer, this gets you - it is not unique it Flex.
  • Erik SM0JCA
    Erik SM0JCA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I have now managed to unistall and reinstall SmartSDR with DAX and CAT in Windows 10 1809.  So far several QSOs in CW, SSB and FT8 on site carried out successfully using my amp up to full legal power. Several ferrit toroids on ethernet cable and CAT cable have helped to mitigate in shack RFI problems.

Erik SM0JCA
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
        I appreciate that information.  I'd think that MS would try to avoid behavior
    that could be construed as deliberately damaging.  A monopoly should strive
    to be seen as a "friendly giant" rather than as an avaricious ogre.

Ned,  K1NJ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.